Extra Protection for FEH, worth $900?

Old 08-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Extra Protection for FEH, worth $900?

When I picked up my FEH last Saturday, one of the sales rep recommended that I pay for some kind of extra protection package (~$900) which contains the following:

1. Undercoat and car spray
2. Rust prevention inhibitor spray on all the holes
3. Leather protection spray
4. Carpet protection spray

The agent was saying how the coating is going to "protect" my car, how it's going to "prevent" fading of color (I have Black), how it's going to help clean-up of tree-sap quickly during spring, blah blah blah.. They even include some kind of 5-year warranty on the package.

Do you guys think I should go for this "extra protection" whatever it is? Is it overpriced? Is there aftermarket stuff I could buy to spray on myself? $900 seems a bit steep. I know for sure there's leather and carpet protection that I could easily buy at a Home Depot or hardware store, but what about these "coatings" are they really so special that work like magic to prevent my car from fading or turning old?

Old 08-28-2006, 03:34 PM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Extra Protection for FEH, worth $900?

Is it called PermaPlate, or something like that? I bought it once long time ago, and I also have a car which I didnt buy that....the paint quality stayed the same after 5yrs or more (I do wax my cars 1-2 times per year, though -- closer to once a year). Personally, I have no way to verify if anything extra was added. It looked shiny, but then all new cars looks shiny after they detail it when you get your car anyways.

I'm in So Cal, so I dont think rust is a big deal here.

I ended up buying carpeted mats for the insides anyways.

Not sure about leather protection, but I think, like you said, you can prob get the same type of protection for much cheaper. I remember the leather was sorta oily, which we didnt like. The oilyness went away after a month or so...dont really know if it really protected anything.

I read on some other car care forums that this is not worth the money. It's a way for the dealer to get extra mula out of you....it comes close to a scam.

Needless to say, I dont buy that anymore.

Old 08-28-2006, 04:14 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Ripoff

Those sorts of protection packages are the oldest ripoff-new car wise- in the book. If Honda thought it needed this"extra protection" it would have added it.
Buy some good wax and Scotchgard and save yourself some $$.
Just blasting on undercoating isn't always harmless(usually it is harmless), but if done half assed it can form pockets and hold moisture in place.Luck,Charlie

Old 08-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Not worth $90 in my opinion.

My first brand new vehicle was a 1986 Ford Ranger. I paid the additional couple a hundred for the "protection package". From the way it was explained to me by someone who prepped cars, they Scotchgarded the seats, used a clearcoat cleaner on the paint to make it shiny and smooth, half-assed sprayed the underside with something and made about 90% profit on the sale.

Since then I have never fallen for that pitch. Instead, go to Wallymart and buy a couple cans of Scotchgard. Spray the seats generously. Not sure what to use on leather. For the undercarriage, car washes on a regular basis if you are in a salty area. For the paint, wash the car regularly and use a good clearcoat cleaner once every year or so. I never wax my cars that have clearcoat paint on them and they stay looking new. The clearcoat doesn't need to be waxed and the cleaner (Maguires is great) keeps the paint from oxidizing. Buffing a clearcoat paint is about the worst thing you can do according to a guy in the autobody business.

Long answer short, save the $900, buy some Husky liners and use what is left to wash your car every now and again. Or buy the extended warranty - what good is a good looking car if it doesn't work right?

JMO of course.

Ray

Old 08-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks guys for the feedback. After reading your responses, I guess I won't go for the "extra protection" plan then, especially that it costs $900 bucks!

1. I have a few questions though, is there any specific "Scotchguard" that works on leather? I have some type of leather/suede protection spray for the shoes but somehow I don't think they should be sprayed onto the car seats. Besides, those shoe spray smell awful, I will totally ruin the "new car" smell.

2. Does anyone know of any protection sprays that coats the leather from sweats? Since summer is still here, I don't want the brand new leather to be ruined by post-hike sweat/dirt from a full car of hikers. What is the best protection method for this? Seat-cushions? Towels? Plastic sheets (just kidding)? I did a search online but haven't had any luck yet.

3. What about the carpet? Do most of you just buy plastic mats to protect the carpeted mats? It is not raining in Vancouver yet, but once Fall begins, it rains almost everyday here. Also, I will be going skiing and doing a lot of outdoor stuff in this car, do you guys recommend using plastic mats or just simply re-wash the carpeted mats that came with the car?

4. The "clearcoat" cleaners that you guys mentioned seem interesting. Is there a specific brand that anybody has used and recommends?

I am visiting a auto/hardware store tonight, hopefully I'll get most of these questions answered, but I appreciate if anybody has reviews and recommendations too

Last edited by greenhybrider; 08-28-2006 at 06:34 PM. Reason: correcting grammar
Old 08-28-2006, 06:50 PM
Enthusiast

I wouldn't do anything to the leather. This is the first car in 15 years I've had without leather (it was the only 2WD available) and I've never done anything to any of them when I've driven the cars off of the lot. And I have had dogs and now have kids. If sweating somehow does something permanent to your leather seats, I'd take the car back and demand the seats be replaced. My mom is still driving my 94 Explorer with leather seats and they are in excellent condition without my ever having sprayed anything on them.

For the floors, I went to ebay and found a good reseller of Husky liners and bought a full set for my '07 FEH - front, second row and cargo area. Since I bought them all from the same dealer, I got a big break on shipping. I am very happy with them - again, I have kids (2 boys), and keeping the interior relatively spill proof is important.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by greenhybrider
4. The "clearcoat" cleaners that you guys mentioned seem interesting. Is there a specific brand that anybody has used and recommends?
Maguires or Meguires (sp?) is my personal favorite. I use it in the spring if I think of it and it takes the oxidation off, doesn't hurt the clearcoat and makes the paint slicker than you know what. Water beads off the vehicle for months. Beats the heck out of waxing too since it is a thick liquid not a paste.

I started using the stuff after a parts guy did a little area on the hood of my severely neglected '83 Olds. It was incredible what it did to restore the paint on it. Good stuff.....

Ditto the Husky liners. They are great. Take them out now and then, hose them down and put them back once dry. Carpet stays new.....

Old 08-28-2006, 07:49 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by *elaine*
For the floors, I went to ebay and found a good reseller of Husky liners and bought a full set for my '07 FEH - front, second row and cargo area. Since I bought them all from the same dealer, I got a big break on shipping. I am very happy with them - again, I have kids (2 boys), and keeping the interior relatively spill proof is important.
I'm glad to hear that Husky cargo liners work on the '07. I called a local dealer who called the factory and they didn't know if an 06 would work. I'll probably get on on the web.

Jay

Old 08-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

thanks guys for the husky liner suggestion. About the clearcoat, is it something that I can apply myself initially? Or does the FEH come with the clearcoat already?

I asked about the clearcoat cleaner but didn't ask about the clearcoat earlier.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by greenhybrider
thanks guys for the husky liner suggestion. About the clearcoat, is it something that I can apply myself initially? Or does the FEH come with the clearcoat already?

I asked about the clearcoat cleaner but didn't ask about the clearcoat earlier.
Almost if not all current cars come with clearcoat. Its the way modern paint systems are done. As to whether there is some added thing you can add... got me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extra Protection for FEH, worth $900?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands