FEH 2008 - Suddenly cant use keys.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Enthusiast
Default FEH 2008 - Suddenly cant use keys.

I noticed the little theft Icon is on the bottom left. I suddenly can't turn the key. I've been searching but everyone seems to indirectly indicate that they can still turn the key the engine just wont start when a PATS problem arises. Do you think it's more likely the lock cylinder just got messed up? I have 1 key and a spare, but I'm not sure how the spare was programmed, if it's a clone of the first or was programmed into the car.

2008 FEH AWD with 320k miles.

Going to try disconnecting the battery.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH 2008 - Suddenly cant use keys.

The theft icon is probably on because you can't turned the key to disarm it.
Programming of the key wouldn't have anything to do with it not turning.
Sounds like a completely mechanical problem with the key or lock cylinder. I'd start by trying another key.
Also, isn't there an interlock between the shift lever and the ignition lock? I seem to recall the key won't turn unless you are in Park. Maybe that interlock is wearing out, could try jiggling the shift lever around Park.

That's pretty impressive mileage, 320k. Were there any mechanical failures or expensive parts along the way?

Last edited by econoline; 10-08-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sometimes mine won't turn. What I have to do is turn the wheel back and forth while turning the key. Must just be catching and putting pressure in the wrong place. Turning the wheel back and forth while jiggling the key gets it to turn on the rare times it messes up.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by hondarider90
Sometimes mine won't turn. What I have to do is turn the wheel back and forth while turning the key. Must just be catching and putting pressure in the wrong place. Turning the wheel back and forth while jiggling the key gets it to turn on the rare times it messes up.
I get that also. Somebody stated to always make sure your wheels pointing straight ahead before turn it OFF.

That can't work to good in places like San Francisco where you have to curb your front tires because of the hills.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hondarider90
Every car I've owned has done this now and then. It's usually caused by someone turning the steering wheel with the ignition off and the key removed. I've never noticed a corelation with the angle of the front wheels.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

When this happens to me it has always been fixed by turning the steering wheel slightly right or left to remove tension from the interlock mentioned. If there is too much tension on the interlock it can bind and prevent the key from turning in the cylinder.

Many people park and put the front wheels full right or left as an anti-theft deterrent to make unauthorized towing more difficult.