FEH and extreme cold climates-any issues?

Old 09-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default FEH and extreme cold climates-any issues?

Hi,

I'm thinking about trading in my Durango which is now 6 yrs old and I;m getting concerned that a brake job and engine leaks may turn it into a money pit in the year. So I'm thinking about a hybrid. Specifically the FEH 4x4. The reason being that it's a 4x4, has a decent amount of clearance, and it's a Ford which most of our vehicles have been and we've had no problems.

My question is this. I live in Alaska. Winter driving conditions involve the usual heavy snow but also constant sub zero temperatures. Will this pose any issues for the vehicle? Also, can an auto start be installed without any problems? What about a battery blanket. We use those here for the regular batteries and the engine block.

I will go speak with the dealer next week, but I'd like to have a second opinion as well. I would really love to get this car!

Thanks,
Irene

Old 09-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH and extreme cold climates-any issues?

If it doesn't come with a block heater get one put in.

In the first run of FEHs (05, 06, & 07 I believe) the block heater also had a traction battery heater connection. I understand from several posts that on later FEHs they removed that connection. So I suppose that Ford determined it was not needed.

The block heater will help for two reasons:
First: The wear & tear on the engine will be reduced by keeping it warmer. This engine is designed to start in 400 milliseconds and is spun at about 1000 rpm while starting. Cold oil will take longer to get up into the engine and its at this higher rpm.

Second: And more directly attributable to your pocketbook, the fuel mileage takes a hit in colder weather. This seems to be because of the extra fuel consumed in warming things up. In my observation around town driving in weather that's on the order of 20ºF or somewhat lower fuel mileage will drop by about 2-4 mpg.

I infer that colder weather will cause a bigger hit in MPG.

Putting the block heater on my 06 FEH was a snap. Even fiddling the transformer down between the standpipes for the windshield washer fluid & such, wasn't so hard.

Just my 2¢...

Old 09-27-2009, 08:07 AM

I would think hard and long about the suitiability of purchasing an FEH for Alaska winters. The FEH is primarily a FWD even in F/awd "dress" and FWD vehicles can turn on you in an instance when driving on the kind of slippery stuff you encounter.

Besides which the regen capability is pretty severely derated, for safety reasons, when the weather is hovering around freezing and below as it often does in your area.

Personally if I still spent time in Anchorage or Fairbanks and had to drive an FEH I would drop one front halfshaft, add a switch to keep the rear driveline engaged and a low value resistor in parallel with the OAT thermistor/sensor.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:58 AM

You can ignore the Toyota man and his statements about the danger FWD-AWD drivetrain issues. He nevers provides data backing his statements on the dangers he posts about. This is also true for the regenerative braking item he is referring to. Ther regenerative braking is not related to outside air temperature that he has posted about for three years in a row. Data has been posted in this site via GPSman1 showing his beliefs are not true. Four your infomation, the AWD system is sending torque to the rear wheels almost 100% of the time via the scanguage II AWD discussions.

Last edited by Billyk; 09-27-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Warmer climates are an advantage. But I say if the cost is not overly a burden to you, get the Hybrid.

You'll have basically a gas car half the year, and get about the same gas mileage as a regular escape half the year.

As soon as temps are above freezing, you'll be getting better gas mileage the warmer half of the year.

People in mild climates ( not too hot either ) save year round.
But if you feel saving gas half a year is better than not, I say go for it!

Old 09-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
I would think hard and long about the suitiability of purchasing an FEH for Alaska winters. The FEH is primarily a FWD even in F/awd "dress" and FWD vehicles can turn on you in an instance when driving on the kind of slippery stuff you encounter.

Besides which the regen capability is pretty severely derated, for safety reasons, when the weather is hovering around freezing and below as it often does in your area.

Personally if I still spent time in Anchorage or Fairbanks and had to drive an FEH I would drop one front halfshaft, add a switch to keep the rear driveline engaged and a low value resistor in parallel with the OAT thermistor/sensor.

I was looking at the hybrid with 4 wheel drive. Does it not give me the option of turning 4x4 on and off? I have only ever had 4x4 but the people that I know drive FWD vehicles have no issues.

The mileage looks like it would still be better than the 14MPG that I am now getting with my Durango.

Please give this to me in simple terms. I now next to nothing about vehicle engineering

Old 09-27-2009, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by ilee
I was looking at the hybrid with 4 wheel drive. Does it not give me the option of turning 4x4 on and off? I have only ever had 4x4 but the people that I know drive FWD vehicles have no issues.

The mileage looks like it would still be better than the 14MPG that I am now getting with my Durango.

Please give this to me in simple terms. I now next to nothing about vehicle engineering
The Hybrid FEH do not have a switch to turn on and off the AWD function. There is a several mpg penalty when compared to the FWD. There is no danger of using this system in winter or at any season as I have had mine in -20F weather and in 90F summers.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
The Hybrid FEH do not have a switch to turn on and off the AWD function. There is a several mpg penalty when compared to the FWD. There is no danger of using this system in winter or at any season as I have had mine in -20F weather and in 90F summers.
Thanks Billy. Does it cut through heavy snow as well as a standard mid-sized SUV like my Durango? My worry is always getting out of my long driveway after a foot of snowfall (and before we've had a chance to run the snow blower). I'm not worried about the highway since that always gets plowed before I hit the road.
I read that the Mariner has Intelligent 4 wheel drive. I assume that the FEH has the same system. Or a similar one.

Irene

Old 09-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by ilee
Thanks Billy. Does it cut through heavy snow as well as a standard mid-sized SUV like my Durango? My worry is always getting out of my long driveway after a foot of snowfall (and before we've had a chance to run the snow blower). I'm not worried about the highway since that always gets plowed before I hit the road.
I read that the Mariner has Intelligent 4 wheel drive. I assume that the FEH has the same system. Or a similar one.

Irene
4WD, yes, intelligent, not! That's just my opinion though.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:58 PM

The Mariner and Escape hybrids have identical drive trains. The 4WD is "all time" and has computer controlled variable ("intelligent") output level to the rear wheels. In 2009, Ford added their AdvanceTrac with Stability Control system to the hybrids.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FEH and extreme cold climates-any issues?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands