Fog Light Breakage

Old 02-22-2008, 12:45 PM
HEV's are your friend
Default Fog Light Breakage

Hey guys, so I just noticed today that my drivers side fog light is broken again on my 06 FEH. This will be the second one in just over a year. I didn't know if anyone else experienced these sort of things, or if someone placed anything over them in order to protect them a bit.

Thanks!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Fog Light Breakage

Mine have never broken ( knock on wood ) but are they any good for anything other than looks?

I find that in fog, snow, rain, almost any condition they don't help you to see at all. Maybe they help others see you, but I doubt they are any advantage over the regular headlamps.

I put high wattage yellow fog lamps on my old truck when I was a teen-ager... and they actually did help you pierce the fog to a greater distance.

I would like to hear other people's impressions... if you think that they are just for looks. Sorry about your lens crack... I've heard that happen to 3 or 4 people. ( and probably many more I have not heard of )

I know the newer FEH's have plastic lenses. My 2005 is all glass, and thick glass at that. Which did yours have?

Old 02-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Would using this product at this link: http://www.autotrucktoys.com/escape/...P1804C374.aspx
provide protection?

Old 02-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Enthusiast

After reading accounts of fog light breakage (and the high cost of replacement) in early Yahoo FEH group postings,
I made two 4-inch clear plastic covers for my FEH fog lights, and attached them with double sided clear tape. A
12 oz can of Smokehouse almonds makes a perfect template. The plastic covers have lasted over two years so far;
the almonds didn't last a week...

Old 02-23-2008, 12:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

I installed the 3M film similar to the "transparent bras" but thicker, on my wife's New Beetle Fog lights (close to the ground) and have never had a problem with breakage or pits. It isn't hard to do, and you cannot even tell they are there.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

I had one break too, but it's been fine since. I like the transparent film idea, and would probably try that if I felt a need. I've also found them to be effective in fairly dense fog, but I agree that they're mostly for show.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:03 AM
It is easy being green

none of mine have broken, and i do use my fog lights almost every night i drive. i find that it makes the road infront of me brighter on some of the roads i drive without using my highbeams. i showed it to my sig other who finds it a bit harder to see at night and he agreed that it makes i easier to see

Old 02-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Never broken ours. They are pretty effective until they pack with snow due to being recessed.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:23 PM
HEV's are your friend

I had been thinking about a type of protector to put over them, however I also agree that the lights in general aren't too effective.

I would also entertain the idea of replacing them with an aftermarket product, if one were available.

Anyone know of a better alternative that may be available? With the new style, one cannot even replace the lamp with a different type since they are a sealed beam!

Any sources?

Old 02-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerry&Natalie
Never broken ours. They are pretty effective until they pack with snow due to being recessed.
They are fog lights.... I've never used them much when its snowing. I do find them pretty useful in the rain to help pick up the road lane markers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fog Light Breakage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands