ford escape hybrid 2006 PTU

Old 06-06-2014, 08:04 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: ford escape hybrid 2006 PTU

Originally Posted by Bill Winney

More troubling is the ATF you found. That implies a seal leak between the transmission casing and the PTU.
Thank you, Bill. The ATF came out after the PTU was pulled. No ATF in the the PTU, just in the transmission/ axle tube area. Does this mean the tranny seal is bad? If yes, do you know the seal is called? It is much easier to order parts if you know what you are asking for... Do I need to replace the other seals on the PTU, or if they look good, reuse them?

Last edited by drstandish; 06-06-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Without having seen the inside I cannot say. My inference is that ATF should not be there.

Look at whether the seals are easily replaced, many are. If easy, then I'd do so. Consider whether you want to go in again later.

Many are press in rubber type.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:32 AM
Enthusiast

Without having seen the inside I cannot say. My inference is that ATF should not be there.

Look at whether the seals are easily replaced, many are. If easy, then I'd do so. Consider whether you want to go in again later.

Many are press in rubber type.
Thanks again. The way the spline gear from the PTU entered the CVT, I have to assume that I was to drain the trans fluid before starting the job, and am putting that in the lessons learned. As to the seals, they looked like there was a bearing in them, so I took my chances. So far so good. I am back on the road!

Old 10-26-2014, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by xspirit
Our mechanic had a look at it. Everything checks out ok. The PTU fluid is clear. A test drive didn't reveal the noise, but they only drove it a few blocks. It doesn't show up for me until 15-20 minutes into highway driving, as if something warms up before making the noise. It goes from inaudible, to louder than the engine. I guess it will only get worse and easier to track down.
xspirit:
What was your final resolution? I now have a repetitive thumping that appears to by in sync with wheel rotation (eg 1X). I comes on after the same 15-20 minutes driving. It goes away with hard acceleration, steering input, or light load. Can't ID it yet. Yours sounds similar.

What finally fixed it for you?

Old 10-26-2014, 07:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

xspirit:
What was your final resolution? I now have a repetitive thumping that appears to by in sync with wheel rotation (eg 1X). I comes on after the same 15-20 minutes driving. It goes away with hard acceleration, steering input, or light load. Can't ID it yet. Yours sounds similar.

What finally fixed it for you?
Nothing to report for mine. It keeps making the noise. If it's getting worse, it must be very slow. It's certainly not going away. If it doesn't develop into anything, I'll have to regard it as some normal noise. There is no thumping or correspondence with wheel rotation on mine.

Yours could be anything from a tire issue all the way to the PTU. Someone better informed might be able to pinpoint it from the symptoms you described.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:33 AM

By the way...
With Silverstate Ford the website price is different than what you'll get if you call them up. Had occasion to call thinking I could speak with someone and ensure the right part. As I went to order, when they realized I wasn't local (eg pick it up from them) they told me to go online and order it from their website and that it would be cheaper that way.

...And it was, saved me about $100!!

Old 11-30-2015, 08:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry for reviving this thread just bought a 06 Mariner Hybrid with 101K with a cupped tire sound (whoop whoop whoop) plus a metallic rattle when driving. Dealership said bad transfer case and researching my options.

To the OP how is the used transfer case holding up?

Old 11-30-2015, 09:35 AM

Don't change the transfer case without changing the gear lube in it first. Save the drained fluid in a clear glass jar and see what come out. If it's relatively clear without metallic particles it's probably OK. The transfer case is actually a 90º gear unit that if its failling will eat itself up quickly. Otherwise they don't fail unless something causes a severe misalignment stress (low gear lube can cause a failure...).

I'd say the cupped tire stuff is likely a strut problem or worn ball joints in the steering setup. The rattle would not come from the transfer case unless it was going to fail in the next mile or so and then it would be a loud grinding type sound. Crawl around underneath and look for something loose. For example the sway bar can actually slid to one side and interfere with something, not likely but can happen.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey thanks but it has been in the shop waiting for my directions. After reading here and elsewhere about the typical sound of cans dragging under the car and a few mentioning the cup tire sound (could be tires too) I am at least confident this dealership is correct. The service writer said the TC was really low on fluid. I read a TCB that it is common for these to lose lubricant when the vent tube loosens up. I will try to get a better explanation if it can help someone else. I selected a used TC that they will get from a salvage yard.
Don't change the transfer case without changing the gear lube in it first. Save the drained fluid in a clear glass jar and see what come out. If it's relatively clear without metallic particles it's probably OK. The transfer case is actually a 90º gear unit that if its failling will eat itself up quickly. Otherwise they don't fail unless something causes a severe misalignment stress (low gear lube can cause a failure...).

I'd say the cupped tire stuff is likely a strut problem or worn ball joints in the steering setup. The rattle would not come from the transfer case unless it was going to fail in the next mile or so and then it would be a loud grinding type sound. Crawl around underneath and look for something loose. For example the sway bar can actually slid to one side and interfere with something, not likely but can happen.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:31 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xspirit
sounds like good advice, bill. I looked up the symptom noises for a bad ptu, and it's like rattling rocks in a can. Nothing like my noise. The feh is going in for an oil change soon, so i'll have the mechanic check this. Thanks.
yes mine experienced the rattling rocks in a can then aluminium grinding then loos of movement now replacement

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ford escape hybrid 2006 PTU

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands