Ford Escape Hybrid Navigation Radio not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 07:49 AM
Enthusiast
Default Ford Escape Hybrid Navigation Radio not working

I have a 2009 Escape Hybrid FWD with 165,000 miles and other than replacing the leather steering wheel which became gummy and wore off, engine mount, and front end suspension work, it has been very reliable and I have typically averaged 28-30 mpg. My Navigation / Radio just died and the screen will only display the Ford logo and will go on/off every few seconds. No radio, phone, Sync, or navigation now.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I called the Ford dealer and they indicated a replacement radio is $1,800 for the part only. Not sure I want to spend this type of money with how many miles I have.

I have seen ads on Ebay that they will fix the radio for $400.00, but not quite sure if that will fix the problem.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford Escape Hybrid Navigation Radio not working

I would first try the substantial equivalent of pulling the power cord on an appliance that is acting up...either pull the fuse(s) or temporarily disconnect the negative cable from the 12 volt battery and see what that does, if anything

A quick check on eBay revealed a used one with a 90 day warranty for $295 (not my auction).

Most people here will tell you to dump it and go aftermarket, but I like having the integrated factory system.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Escape-...5bc278&vxp=mtr

Old 10-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

That might be the smart junction box acting up. What happens when you don't turn the radio on? Does it do the same thing or do you get the system off display? What displays on the center screen on top of the dash?
BTW the radio on ebay mentioned above is for a 2008 and won't work for your 2009. The 2009 and up ones are more expensive it seems.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by FjordHybrid
That might be the smart junction box acting up. What happens when you don't turn the radio on? Does it do the same thing or do you get the system off display? What displays on the center screen on top of the dash?
BTW the radio on ebay mentioned above is for a 2008 and won't work for your 2009. The 2009 and up ones are more expensive it seems.
That's correct, the '09 FEH was the first to have Sync and programmable Nav Map updates. It has much less problems with the newer MFT system. I bet a Sync update would solve his problems. Call Sync and find out.

Gary

Old 10-08-2013, 02:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FjordHybrid

Oops...thanks for the correction.