Ford Hybrid Problems

Old 04-25-2005, 08:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Ford Hybrid Problems

I love my car but one of the benefits of having an internet with locations where FEH owners can exchange data is an early warning system for problems with the model year so we can get data to the engineers so they can fix them in our cars and in the next model year.

As recently as yesterday I have posted opinions on websites lauding the lack of bugs in the 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid.

I am looking for reports from owners or from others who have heard about problems.

I have documented at least three instances of rear auxillary coolant pump (for the battery) failures since January, several of which were personally investigated by Ford Engineers. All of these caused the car to roll to a stop without warning.

I have reports of a catastrophic brake failure which caused an owner to use the emergency brake. This was diagnosed as an ABS Module failure.

As far as I know there is currently no recall nor TSB in affect for these. Unfortunately, in order to access TSBs we must purchase a subscription from Motorcraft or others.

Tonight I noticed a lack of power to my 110 volt outlet. There is still 110 volts but almost no current to run something. I want to document others who seem to be having an inverter failure.

Please post any information that I can pass on to Ford. Please be aware that I will probably email you in order to authenticate claims of problems.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 04-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford Hybrid Problems

Mike I think you have the details on my breakdown. I didn't think about it being a rear coolant pump, until now. I did die without warning. I now have a small coolant leak at the fittings at the battery. I was getting ready to install my hitch when I noticed the hose was damp. I'm waiting until I have time to get the drip fixed before I do the hitch (obviously).

Chris Brown

No brake problems or 110 outlet trouble on my end.

Old 04-28-2005, 04:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

The Drip turns out to be condensation from the battery cooling hose. This sounds slightly fishy to me, but I will watch and see.

Anyway she continues to run well with the new cooling pump.

Chris Brown

10500 Miles

Old 04-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Mike, my problem is minor but vexing. As you know, I've been trying for months to locate the source of popping on the AM radio on 530 and 740 AM. My Ford service shop and I have finally traced the problem to the 110VAC inverter, and we both found the noise in other similiarly equiped FEH vehicles. Unfortunately for me, the one AM station I listen to is at 740. I've had to pull the under-hood fuse on the converter to disable it and stop the noise. That makes the hundred-plus bucks I spent on that option somewhat less worthwhile. The shop says Ford's technical service department will not authorize an inverter replacement because, in their view, the inverter is not defective. I think it's a shielding/grounding/location issue, but I'm not getting anywhere and it's not worth my time or energy to fight this very hard. It would be great if a Ford tech with a little time to kill might figure out a solution. Thanks.

Old 04-29-2005, 12:17 AM
Early Adopter

Mike, you describe a "rear cooling pump" but there is no coolant pump in the battery area. The only thing going to the HV battery for cooling is AC refrigerant, which as you probably know doesn't require any pump except for the compressor (which is up front of course).

I think the pump in question is in the motor/electronics coolant loop which is all contained under the hood.

See section 307-02B, "Transaxle/Transmission Cooling -- Escape Hybrid" item number 4 in the diagram.

Old 04-29-2005, 12:18 AM
Early Adopter

Originally Posted by cdbrow1
The Drip turns out to be condensation from the battery cooling hose. This sounds slightly fishy to me, but I will watch and see.

Anyway she continues to run well with the new cooling pump.

Chris Brown

10500 Miles
AC lines (the low pressure side, anyway) get very cold in operation. Condensation is perfectly normal.

Old 05-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Right Steve.
I did not mean the pump was in the rear, only that it served the battery pack.

Old 05-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Early Adopter

Originally Posted by sdctcher
Right Steve.
I did not mean the pump was in the rear, only that it served the battery pack.
But that's my point. It doesn't serve the battery pack. It serves the motors and the DC/DC converter.

The only fluid that goes to the rear is AC refrigerant.

You don't want coolant going the length of the vehicle...trust me I had a Vanagon.

Old 05-03-2005, 07:24 AM

I have had a strong burning smell come and go three times now. First time around 3,000 miles for about 3 minutes. Second time was real brief a few days later. The third time I thought the FEH was going to burn up. No smoke, but the smell was like the electric motor had burned up. Very toxic for about three minutes again. I had a bad taste for a few hours in my lungs.

Everything seems to work fine during and after the burning smell so I have not taken it back to the dealership.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Enthusiast

I have a 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid that on about 10 ocassions has displayed an ABS warning light when the car is first started. The light goes out if the ignition is recycled. On a couple of ocassions I did not see the light and drove off and it was very difficult to stop the car, but it did stop with the regular brake pedal. I also have a "Check emissions" message in the display. They have changed the ABS module but same problem. Still in the shop.

Got the car back after three days. They changed the "jumper harness" and the battery. So far so good. I did get a "service emissions" message on the display but I read that this is normal if you turn the key to run but do not start the car.

Last edited by bobv; 05-05-2005 at 05:34 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford Hybrid Problems

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands