Ford recalling 2005-2008 FEH for MECS Pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 06:36 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford recalling 2005-2008 FEH for MECS Pump

My MECS pump failed in the summer of 2013 at 60k miles. I brought my 2008 Ford Escape to my dealer in MA in July of 2013. $600 later it was replaced and I haven't had an issue since.

When the recall notice came out this year, I went back to the dealer and within a week I had a check fully reimbursing me for the repair.

AAA sent me an e-mail today regarding the recall, obviously not knowing I had already taken care of the issue. But in reading the e-mail, I saw that it mentioned Ford would "replace the original Motor Electronics Coolant (MEC) Pump with an improved brushless pump, free of charge.

So it got me wondering: how new is this "brushless pump". Would it have been put in my Escape 18 months ago? I tend to think it would have been the older model, and thus susceptible to the same failure later on? In which case, I would need to pay for the repair once again? Granted, if the original MECS life is the same, i won't have to worry about it for 50-60k miles, but even so...

Old 12-17-2014, 09:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

AFAIK there were just two MECS pumps, the original and the improved. I replaced my original pump in Aug 2011 and just had it inspected at the dealer for the recall. It is the newer pump. So your 2013 pump has to be the new one.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:12 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by econoline
AFAIK there were just two MECS pumps, the original and the improved. I replaced my original pump in Aug 2011 and just had it inspected at the dealer for the recall. It is the newer pump. So your 2013 pump has to be the new one.
Cool...thanks!

Old 12-27-2014, 12:05 PM
Greenie

Once again Ford dealers let me down... I took my 2006 Escape to the dealer for the recall and they wouldn't replace it because there were no trouble codes in the computer. I explained to them that the pump has stuck before and we banged on it to get it going as my daughter who uses it is 2 hours away at college. They claimed there were no codes in the computer. Well I had just replaced the battery about a month earlier and that erases all computer codes! So now I have to send my daughter back to school 2 hours away with a car destined to fail and the dealer won't complete the recall. Real nice Ford...

Old 12-29-2014, 06:04 PM

Today I received a check from Ford for the replacement cost of my MECS Pump. Since I did the work it was only for the pump without labor cost.

Background: In 2009 I noted on this website that MECS Pumps were failing at about 50,000 miles and that there was a new design MECS Pump available.

When my Escape Hybrid went over 50K I bought one from Gaudin Ford (SilverStateFordparts.com) and replaced the original pump myself using the Ford Shop Manuals to do the work.

When the recall notice came I sent off a copy of the receipt with a letter explaining what I had done and that it was done pre-emptively given the history on this website.

I'm impressed.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
When my Escape Hybrid went over 50K I bought one from Gaudin Ford (SilverStateFordparts.com) and replaced the original pump myself using the Ford Shop Manuals to do the work.
I did the same but still waiting on my reimbursement.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:23 PM

I mailed mine on November 7th. So a few days less than the advertised 60 days.

PS I've had very good service from Silverstate Ford Parts. Their parts people have been very responsive in identifying the parts I need. Their prices are very competitive. Good folks out there.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
PS I've had very good service from Silverstate Ford Parts. Their parts people have been very responsive in identifying the parts I need. Their prices are very competitive. Good folks out there.
Totally agree about Silverstate Ford Parts, look there first.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:20 PM
Enthusiast

Just to tell of my experience, I received the recall notice a few weeks ago from Ford (Canada) and I called my local Ford dealer here in Abbotsford (MSA Ford) to see what they would do for me since I had already replaced the MECS pump myself back in July. They told me immediately that they would book the vehicle in and all the technician had to do was verify that the pump was installed and to bring in my receipt. I had purchased the DORMAN pump off of Amazon as it was about $100 cheaper than the local parts places. The lady in service said it was the first Amazon receipt that had been submitted to her, but she said it would be fine. I was in/out of the dealer in 15mins. Reimbursement cheque arrived for full amount that I paid 5 days later. Pretty happy with how it went.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:05 AM

I had wondered if Ford would ask me to take it in and have it inspected.

They didn't, so I'm quite happy. I suppose because I had purchased my replacement pump from an authorized Ford Dealer they skipped that step. (www.silverstatefordparts.com)

At any rate so long as you have legitimate receipts, just sending a check is their least costly completion of the recall effort.

Nice job Ford!

Quick Reply: Ford recalling 2005-2008 FEH for MECS Pump

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands