Has anyone's transmission mechanically failed?

Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Has anyone's transmission mechanically failed?

I ask because I am a little harder on my truck than most but I know they are pretty durable even in New York City driving. Just wanting to know how guilty I should feel for offroading with it. I haven't found anything on the internet showing the transmission has mechanical weakness.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Has anyone's transmission mechanically failed?

Haven't even read of one failing.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

The only ones I've heard of being replaced were back in the "dark ages" of like 2008 and before when no dealers had any idea what was going on, I doubt any were true mechanical failures either. That being said, it would be interesting to hear from someone that had one with an actual failure.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by hondarider90
The only ones I've heard of being replaced were back in the "dark ages" of like 2008 and before when no dealers had any idea what was going on, I doubt any were true mechanical failures either. That being said, it would be interesting to hear from someone that had one with an actual failure.
I don't think the basic operation of the planetary gear set transmission has changed since the introduction of the 2005 - only the electronics, CPU controls, and engine (not counting the body style change in 2008 - mechanical components, I mean). I think the basics of the AWD system are unchanged over the years as well.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Right, I don't think the transmission changed. I just think dealers and Ford didn't know how to diagnose some of them. Some of the ones I heard back in the day people were like the sky is falling and replacing transmissions and I look at it and think "did anyone even bother to check the blend door"?

As far as the 4wd, that is the weak link, but the price of it is low enough that if it goes out I can easily fix it and be money ahead on this vehicle over another. I just don't want the main transmission to go or any of the components inside like the motor, etc.

Last edited by hondarider90; 02-07-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:56 PM

The Escape "AWD" system has had problems, PTO overheating mostly, from the get-go. The latter systems have no driver input as a result. Useless.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

No statistical evidence to back up his statement.

Why would anyone listen to someone who has such poor logic:
"Because the Prius has a temperature gauge, it is prone to overheating. Therefore, thousands of Prius vehicles are stranded on the highway!"

Old 02-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

When you feed the troll he becomes more powerful than you can possibly imagine. Some say he can live for years just feeding off your pure delicious contempt.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by hondarider90
When you feed the troll he becomes more powerful than you can possibly imagine. Some say he can live for years just feeding off your pure delicious contempt.
Precisely why I encourage everyone to put wwest on the ignore list - and then ignore him.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Billyk24
No statistical evidence to back up his statement.

Why would anyone listen to someone who has such poor logic:
"Because the Prius has a temperature gauge, it is prone to overheating. Therefore, thousands of Prius vehicles are stranded on the highway!"
$10,000 to anyone that you can produce a post of mine that conclusively makes that case.

Otherwise Billyk24 must be presumed to be a blatant LIER!

Or an IDIOT, your choice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone's transmission mechanically failed?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands