Help - No EV 2006 Escape

Old 05-31-2010, 09:23 AM
Default Re: Help - No EV 2006 Escape

Originally Posted by pfi309
I am going to drop off my car again this Thursday armed with the error code. I will report back when I get car back. Now I have to fight if it is warranty work vs extended warranty work, only $100 but still worth fighting for.
Chuck, try to communicate with the hybrid tech directly about the problem. SA's will just limit what they say because they're not technical regarding hybrids and they don't want to say something and get in trouble later if there is a serious problem. I establish a good relationship with my hybrid techs and we both learn from each other. Example, I thought I had a A/C problem not allowing EV with my '09 FEH, so the tech took me in another new FEH to see if it acted the same way.

You used a SGII to do something Carl invented that most hybrid techs would say is impossible. Ford engineers get spooked at the SGII because it can be programmed to turn On and Off systems in the PCM. I've been ask by engineers and a tech if I was reprogramming my '05 PCM with my SGII before I knew it could be done. They later found a few bad relays I've posted about here and dropped the issue.

My advise is don't go in fighting for anything and be open, honest and friendly. Generally, the dealership has some flexibility if your going to be charged for something and it's not fair. Not too long ago my A/C was not as cold on my '05 FEH as it should be so I took it in to my dealership. They called me up and said I needed a new compressor at over $1200. I told them nicely that was to much and that I just had my compressor replaced on my '02 Explorer for around $900 at a small local repair shop down the street. The dealership called me back with a $980 price and I let them do the work because they were going to get $100 of it for finding the problem anyway. I keep on good terms with my friends at the dealership and they treat me great also. They want and need our business in these hard times but they don't want a hard time.

Please keep us up to date on this issue so we all can learn from it.

GaryG

Old 05-31-2010, 09:44 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
I've been ask by engineers and a tech if I was reprogramming my '05 PCM with my SGII before I knew it could be done.
Sounds similar to the warning I got about reprogramming voiding my warranty when they found an OBD-II Y cable and a printout of codes in my vehicle.

I told them, "It's just a reader, all the hybrid drivers are using them." and they dropped the subject.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by colchiro
Sounds similar to the warning I got about reprogramming voiding my warranty when they found an OBD-II Y cable and a printout of codes in my vehicle.

I told them, "It's just a reader, all the hybrid drivers are using them." and they dropped the subject.
By law, the OBD II connection is required so many of the emissions problems can be identified by generic codes and equipment. The law doesn't require Ford to do the same yet for certain hybrid codes to be provided. Ford stopped providing information in the '09 Ford manuals to retrieve new and changed codes. I'd be willing to bet Dash Daq used information Carl put together in 2007 to read SOC and other gauges. Prior to Carl doing this no one except Ford's equipment and their nav sys could read SoC. Your right, just because the SGII can do things out of our control, it's just a legal code reader to us.

Where did you find a OBD II Y cable and how much? My two SGII's are piggybacked with a ethernet cable to each other and I'd like to try a Y OBD II instead to see if the SGII's will give me better readings.

GaryG

Old 05-31-2010, 04:06 PM

Here you go: http://tunertools.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ST-145802 $24.95

Dash Daq had code to scan for all devices and I'd scan my FEH and upload them so they could check them out. At one point there were over 500 detected signals, including occupancy sensors in the seats. They trimmed them down to just the interesting ones.

Last edited by colchiro; 05-31-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:36 PM

Thanks Rick!

I'm getting one!

GaryG

Old 05-31-2010, 04:44 PM

WAIT.

Here's a cheaper one: http://www.obd2cables.com/products/o...cable-1ft.html

Old 05-31-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by colchiro
Even Better!

GaryG

Old 06-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I have used two in series with the Cat5 style cable with no problems in 2 years. However, I ran into issues when I tried connecting 3 in series.
Sometimes not all 3 would turn on when the car was started, sometimes one would "lock up" and sometimes one or more would not turn off, etc, etc.

2 has been fine in series... 3, not.

FYI - The SOC signals were always available with other scan tools, even before the ScanGauge Xgauge came out, but it was a bit more difficult to use.

Originally Posted by GaryG

Where did you find a OBD II Y cable and how much? My two SGII's are piggybacked with a ethernet cable to each other and I'd like to try a Y OBD II instead to see if the SGII's will give me better readings.

GaryG

Old 06-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Enthusiast

Well, dropped off car today, found out hybrid tech was off for personal reasons and wouldn't be back to Monday. Left the car anyway since it won't be fixed in one day I can pick up a free rental on Saturday. Service writer new zero about hybrids.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Enthusiast

Well finally got the car back today. Service Manager told me I pretty much covered the cost of my extended warranty with this repair. They ended up replacing the cooling fans in the hybrid battery, part # 5M6Z 10C659 A, they said the cost was around $350.00. The labor for the replacement was 6 hours. My rental cost was $213.84, covered under the extended warranty. Repair quoted Technical Service Bulletin 09-17-7. This was my second repair under the warrent, first was the dreaded blend door. Next up is probably the MECS cooling pump since I am at 50,000 miles.

Thanks for the help GaryG!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help - No EV 2006 Escape

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands