Help - No EV 2006 Escape

Old 05-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Enthusiast
Default Help - No EV 2006 Escape

Help, dealer says there is no problem. Recently my 2006 Escape quit shutting down at stops, no EV mode. Electric assist still works and the battery appears to charge and discharge normally. Air Conditioning/Defrost are not on and I have changed the battery filter. On the way to work battery temp starts at around 83 degrees and is up to 90 degrees when I get to work(30 miles). After work battery temp is in the high 90's low 100's lately(Been warm here) and cools down to 94 degrees by the time I get home. Battery charge state is between 52 - 53% the whole trip, never really drops since car is not going into EV mode. Anyone have any suggestions.
Thanks

Old 05-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Default Re: Help - No EV 2006 Escape

Originally Posted by pfi309
Help, dealer says there is no problem. Recently my 2006 Escape quit shutting down at stops, no EV mode. Electric assist still works and the battery appears to charge and discharge normally. Air Conditioning/Defrost are not on and I have changed the battery filter. On the way to work battery temp starts at around 83 degrees and is up to 90 degrees when I get to work(30 miles). After work battery temp is in the high 90's low 100's lately(Been warm here) and cools down to 94 degrees by the time I get home. Battery charge state is between 52 - 53% the whole trip, never really drops since car is not going into EV mode. Anyone have any suggestions.
Thanks
Read this entire thread: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...59/index4.html for some possibilities. The good news is the electrical assist works. How many miles on your FEH and did you buy it new? Was the battery harness work done for that recall?

GaryG

Old 05-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Enthusiast

Bought car used with 36,000 miles on it. I checked and it does not show any open recalls. AC seems to be working fine. Car now has 50,000 miles

Last edited by pfi309; 05-26-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:49 AM

Chuck, this is a hard one with not any codes or warnings. The battery harness was not a recall so to speak but you had a limited time to bring it in for replacement. You remember checking for codes from your SGII? here it is from Carl's post again:

You can check for the presence of non-uniform Diagnostic Trouble Codes for the TBCM using the BTC xgauge:

TXD: 0745220200
RXF: 046205020600
RXD: 3008
MTH: 000100010000
NAM: BTC

If this shows 0, you could step through the various modules to see if any others are reporting DTCs. Change the 0745 in the TXD to the following:

0720 - Instrument cluster
0730 - Power Steering Module
0745 - Traction Battery Control Module
0760 - ABS module
0761 - 4WD module

If the BTC for the TBCM shows a non-zero number, then you retrieve the DTC with the following xgauge:

TXD: 07451800FF00
RXF: 024D14580000
RXD: 2810
MTH: 000100010000
NAM: DTC

The DTCs will be coded per OBD-II specs. When I had the blend door issue I was able to retrieve the DTC at any time, whether the wrench light was lit or not for at least 2 weeks. Last edited by DesertDog; 04-15-2009 at 01:34 PM. Reason: corrected the RXD entry (changed 0 to 8)

Just as something to check, see if the A/C compressor is running with the cabin A/C Off when you first start UP from a cold start in the morning. I'm wondering if the A/C full demand switch is staying On keeping you engine running all the time.

GaryG

Old 05-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

hello guys im here again,

Mr. pfi309, i have the same problem with my FEH 05 its charging normally and when its cold it goes into EV mode till it become hot then .... no EV ,

the good news for me, i found at last the problem with no solution till now and i hope that the guys here specially GaryG can help me,

the error code read by the diagnostic machine are: a081 and a096 which is the : HV battery cooling fans 1 & 2 not working.

ive checked the comming electrical connection and there is electricity comming but the fans are stuck and not working,

so try to check it by computer and see where is the error,

the other quistion now if u plese to other people, where can i find the battery cooling fans 1 & 2 and how much they cost if there is ????

Old 05-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If you have opened up the battery pack (not recommended but you seem like you were going to anyway), are there any part numbers on the fans? A manufacturer?

If not, do the fans have two or more electrical wires going into them? If they have three or more wires then they probably report their RPM back for monitoring (much like computer CPU and case fans do these days). This might make it harder to find a suitable replacement.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by sweidans
hello guys im here again,

Mr. pfi309, i have the same problem with my FEH 05 its charging normally and when its cold it goes into EV mode till it become hot then .... no EV ,

the good news for me, i found at last the problem with no solution till now and i hope that the guys here specially GaryG can help me,

the error code read by the diagnostic machine are: a081 and a096 which is the : HV battery cooling fans 1 & 2 not working.

ive checked the comming electrical connection and there is electricity comming but the fans are stuck and not working,

so try to check it by computer and see where is the error,

the other quistion now if u plese to other people, where can i find the battery cooling fans 1 & 2 and how much they cost if there is ????
Hi Saleem

The correct DTC for fan 1 is POA81 and Fan 2 is POA96 for those trying to look for it in the Workshop Manuals. We are back to my advice to check the 6 pin and 40 pin connectors to the TBCM. The manual states that if the fans still don't work replace the HVTB (battery). However, I would check the Battery Junction Box (where the relays are) Fuses 1 (5 Amps), 13 (25 Amps), 15 (20 Amps), 25 (50 Amps), and 28 (30 Amps).

Can you clear the codes in the TBCM and see if the fans work now or if they flag the same codes again? I've already suggested that the TBCM be reflashed (reprogrammed) can you get equipment to do that?

I thought you should have found DTC's but now giving me POA81 and POA96 tells me I was right On with the manual for those codes. That was checking those two connections to the TBCM like I told you a while back. The manual says replace the HVTB because they don't want those packs worked On. That harness in the battery pack that was replaced on my '05 FEH must have been a good reason to instruct the Hybrid techs to open and replace it. The manuals says do not repair just replace the battery but Ford changed their mind because of the expense it would have cost them for that.

Good luck finding those fans or that harness. I think the harness is the problem if you tried everything above. The harness could have shorted out the fans if it was not replaced in the so called recall. Anyway, let us know what you find.

GaryG

Old 05-28-2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by MyPart
If you have opened up the battery pack (not recommended but you seem like you were going to anyway), are there any part numbers on the fans? A manufacturer?

If not, do the fans have two or more electrical wires going into them? If they have three or more wires then they probably report their RPM back for monitoring (much like computer CPU and case fans do these days). This might make it harder to find a suitable replacement.
Agree, those fans are controlled by TBCM and are variable speed.

GaryG

Old 05-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Enthusiast

Ran x gauge check and it showed an error code, entered code reader and it returned 0A81DTC. Could not find meaning of error code.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by pfi309
Ran x gauge check and it showed an error code, entered code reader and it returned 0A81DTC. Could not find meaning of error code.
That is your battery fan #1 problem so take it back to the Ford dealership and tell them to get it fixed. The real complete code is POA81 in my manual.

GaryG

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help - No EV 2006 Escape

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands