Help - No EV 2006 Escape

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:51 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Help - No EV 2006 Escape

The correct DTC for fan 1 is POA81 and Fan 2 is POA96 for those trying to look for it in the Workshop Manuals. We are back to my advice to check the 6 pin and 40 pin connectors to the TBCM. The manual states that if the fans still don't work replace the HVTB (battery). However, I would check the Battery Junction Box (where the relays are) Fuses 1 (5 Amps), 13 (25 Amps), 15 (20 Amps), 25 (50 Amps), and 28 (30 Amps).

u are right, the codes as u said before, dear ive checked the junction box and all fuses are working, and the 40 & 6 pins connectors are checked and nothing found there, plus that replacing the battery will cost me much.

Can you clear the codes in the TBCM and see if the fans work now or if they flag the same codes again? I've already suggested that the TBCM be reflashed (reprogrammed) can you get equipment to do that?

we've flashed the codes and they didnt clear , the come back again.

I thought you should have found DTC's but now giving me POA81 and POA96 tells me I was right On with the manual for those codes. That was checking those two connections to the TBCM like I told you a while back. The manual says replace the HVTB because they don't want those packs worked On. That harness in the battery pack that was replaced on my '05 FEH must have been a good reason to instruct the Hybrid techs to open and replace it. The manuals says do not repair just replace the battery but Ford changed their mind because of the expense it would have cost them for that.

Good luck finding those fans or that harness. I think the harness is the problem if you tried everything above. The harness could have shorted out the fans if it was not replaced in the so called recall. Anyway, let us know what you find.

dear we've checked the connections for the fans, we've got readings so the connections as i think is good, but when we took off the fans and checked them there was no readings, and we noticed that when we opened the fans
that the main board was opened before because of the weldings - as i think - on the fuses inside it, the problem is that there is no spare parts, dont u think that replacing the HV battery is applicable for just fans not working ???

the fans has 6 connections, with 3 speed levels, if i used a fans with the same type ( centrifugal fans types ) with one speed can resolve the problem there ?? if yes, can anyone give me how to connect them ????

Old 05-29-2010, 07:59 AM

Saleem, I think you have no choice but to find a used battery or a new one. Lets see how Ford treats Chuck's battery repair and if it's tied to the harness that may or may not have been replaced. Chuck only has 50,000 miles on his FEH and he also has the extended warranty which may cover him if the harness was not replaced.

One other option here in the US is going to a Lithium battery and plug-in kit but that would more expensive.

GaryG

Old 05-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

but Gary its not logic if a piece of the battery damaged i have to change the battery pack it self !!! dont u think this is a black spot in hybrid cars ??

dear, if i took of the cooling fans and i replaced them with new ones not neccessery the same power, then connecting them with the 12v power supply and one speed fans that i can turn them on and off manually, can it be another option for me ??

but i dont know whats their max RPM and the diameter because i wonna buy them by internet, can u help me in that Gary ?? and is it efficiant for cooling the battery with one speed cooling fans ???

what do u thiink ??

Last edited by sweidans; 05-29-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by sweidans
but Gary its not logic if a piece of the battery damaged i have to change the battery pack it self !!! dont u think this is a black spot in hybrid cars ??

dear, if i took of the cooling fans and i replaced them with new ones not neccessery the same power, then connecting them with the 12v power supply and one speed fans that i can turn them on and off manually, can it be another option for me ??

but i dont know whats their max RPM and the diameter because i wonna buy them by internet, can u help me in that Gary ?? and is it efficiant for cooling the battery with one speed cooling fans ???

what do u thiink ??
Those fan speeds are computer controlled by the TBCM which is regulating the battery temperature with warm and cold air as needed. I would think if you use another power source and disconnect the original fans from the TBCM, you may still have a problem with other circuits in the system. This is way over my head to give you that type of advise. Lets wait till Chuck (pfi309) fines out how the dealer and Ford handle his battery fan #1 problem. If his problem is not the 6 and 40 pin connector, a fuse, or flashing the TBCM, I bet Ford will replace his battery.

Sanyo makes our battery packs now, not Ford. The solution to replace the battery harness must have been worked out with Sanyo and they redesigned the harness and supplied them to the Ford dealers with a replacement procedure approved by Ford. Part of that procedure was to reprogram the TBCM. You have gone far beyond what Sanyo or Ford intended and I can't help you from my manuals now. Ford warranties the battery 8-10 years and 100,000 to 150,000 miles here but not when you sell and ship the FEH out of the country. Just hope Chuck can give some guidance from Ford about his FEH.

GaryG

Old 05-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
Sanyo makes our battery packs now, not Ford. The solution to replace the battery harness must have been worked out with Sanyo and they redesigned the harness and supplied them to the Ford dealers with a replacement procedure approved by Ford. Part of that procedure was to reprogram the TBCM. You have gone far beyond what Sanyo or Ford intended and I can't help you from my manuals now. Ford warranties the battery 8-10 years and 100,000 to 150,000 miles here but not when you sell and ship the FEH out of the country. Just hope Chuck can give some guidance from Ford about his FEH.

GaryG
I'm not too sure about that! They use Sanyo cells but I "think" they are assembled in a Ford plant in Mexico.

Read this article about battery packs and transaxles for a new generation of Hybrids which was just on my local news the other day: Ford just had a big local annoucement with Marc Field with the Governor of Michigan.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
I'm not too sure about that! They use Sanyo cells but I "think" they are assembled in a Ford plant in Mexico.

Read this article about battery packs and transaxles for a new generation of Hybrids which was just on my local news the other day: Ford just had a big local annoucement with Marc Field with the Governor of Michigan.
Your link gave me "Page Not Found" but I know the FFH made in Mexico has a different battery Pack than the '09 FEH and earlier models that have an Aux A/C system. I know Ford was going to start making battery packs and the eCVT in Michigan and they could have started making the new '10 FEH and FFH packs in Mexico since there was a design change. I've always read the older packs were contracted and shipped from Sanyo. The label on top of my '05 FEH pack says "Made In Japan" not Mexico!

GaryG

Old 05-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
Your link gave me "Page Not Found" but I know the FFH made in Mexico has a different battery Pack than the '09 FEH and earlier models that have an Aux A/C system. I know Ford was going to start making battery packs and the eCVT in Michigan and they could have started making the new '10 FEH and FFH packs in Mexico since there was a design change. I've always read the older packs were contracted and shipped from Sanyo. The label on top of my '05 FEH pack says "Made In Japan" not Mexico!

GaryG
Yeah, the link didn't work! Have to look at that but anyway, what they are going to build is Li-Ion packs and the a transaxle for the new generation of Hybrids. It stated that the packs were formerly built in Mexico. They(news media) incorrectly stated that they were being pulled from Mexico but these are the new Li-Ion packs not Ni-MH used now.

They don't say how they were being built in Mexico by Ford.

A link from CleanMPG from your buddy http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32320 about the topic but he also mentions work being pulled from Mexico! When Ford says Mexico, I don't assume they mean a supplier because Ford has plants there but I can't say for sure that they weren't from a Mexican supplier.

Last edited by wptski; 05-29-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This 2009 link: http://preview.bloomberg.com/apps/ne...d=as.PE9jKoLsE

indicates Ford is going to use Johnson Controls Saft to supply the lithium ion hybrid battery pack for a PHEV (plug-in hybrid) in 2012-likely the new PHEV Escape/Kuga redesign

This March/April 2010 link from Johnson Controls Saft: http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/publi...in_future.html
Confirms the above and also indicates the company is supplying the battery pack for the Ford Transit Connect Commercial van.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:00 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by Billyk
This 2009 link: http://preview.bloomberg.com/apps/ne...d=as.PE9jKoLsE

indicates Ford is going to use Johnson Controls Saft to supply the lithium ion hybrid battery pack for a PHEV (plug-in hybrid) in 2012-likely the new PHEV Escape/Kuga redesign

This March/April 2010 link from Johnson Controls Saft: http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/publi...in_future.html
Confirms the above and also indicates the company is supplying the battery pack for the Ford Transit Connect Commercial van.
I'm refering to a new Li-Ion powered Hybrid system for 2012 which was announced by Ford's Mark Fields. The thing is that whoever made the packs, either at a Ford Mexican plant or a Mexican supplier, it's not being pulled from Mexico but a "newly" designed system Li-Ion pack being built inhouse. The same goes for the transaxle.

Last edited by wptski; 05-30-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:15 AM
Enthusiast

I am going to drop off my car again this Thursday armed with the error code. I will report back when I get car back. Now I have to fight if it is warranty work vs extended warranty work, only $100 but still worth fighting for.

Quick Reply: Help - No EV 2006 Escape

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands