Help with Weird Engine Noise, Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 07:39 AM
Enthusiast
Default Help with Weird Engine Noise, Please

I have a 2012 Ford Escape Hybrid with 35,000 miles. For some time now I have been hearing an odd noise on start up, especially when I have the A/C on. When I first turn the key, for the first second or two I hear relays clicking and a rushing sound (like liquid through a tube that could be coolant circulating). Then I hear a loud roaring/whirring noise at the right front of the engine compartment that lasts for about six or seven seconds. This seems to stop and several seconds later the engine starts. Once the engine starts the noise of the engine is so loud it drowns out the first sounds I have been hearing, so I don’t know if the roaring/whirring sound ever resumes. The noise I am concerned about is the loud roaring/whirring sound. It is so loud you can hear it from 10 feet away in the garage. Once the engine has started and I have driven the car, it is difficult to recreate the whirring sound until the car has been sitting for several hours and everything has cooled down again.

I have taken the Escape to the dealer to ask if the noise is normal for a hybrid or is indicative of an impending problem. Because the noise is so brief and occurs infrequently they are having a difficult time identifying it. Frankly, I am afraid they are too inexperienced with hybrids to know what sounds “normal” so I am hoping that someone with a “second generation” Escape Hybrid can tell me if they also hear this kind of noise at start up. My 2007 Escape Hybrid didn’t make this noise, but it had a different starting strategy than the 2012 (the older one used a starter instead of the motor for startup.) I am guessing that the noise I am hearing is the cooling fan kicking on and is completely normal, but I would like to find a way to confirm it before the warranty expires.

Can anyone help?

Old 10-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Help with Weird Engine Noise, Please

My engine always starts up right away when I turn the key, even if it's been shut off for only a few seconds. Compard to that, it seems odd your engine doesn't start for about 10 seconds. But I know the '09 was different from the '10-'12.