Originally Posted by cobra66
I have a 2008 Mercury Mariner, that I bought 2 years ago. I bought it at a local insurance auction. Repaired the damage it had to the left front. When time came to start it, it wouldn't start. I took it to a local dealer and it was diagnose with a bad transmission, they said the generator that turns the engine was burnt. I replaced the transmission with a used one. The truck still won't start. I took it to a different dealer and they diagnose a bad throttle body as the cause. I replaced it with a new one and it still didn't start. All the electrical stuff works fine on the inside. The rear battery is barely showing any power on the dash. Is their anyway to charged it or check the voltage on the battery? Does it make any difference if the a/c system is not charged? It only has 6,500 miles on it and been sitting for 2 years. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
This is a strange situation your in because not knowing a lot of facts regarding before and after the accident puts me at a loss to help you.
Was the MMH ever started or drivable after the accident and do you have any details of what the accident involved?
I'm assuming this is a salvaged MMH but was it salvaged due just to the body damage only?
Was the 12V battery damaged in the accident and could that battery have been shorted out? The reason I ask is the PCM needs the 12V battery to shutdown the relays to stop the HV DC to LV DC converter from draining the HV battery. Also, if the key was left in the ON position for a long time that could have drained the HV battery.
I'm also assuming you reset the automatic fuel and electric shutoffs switches from the accident.
The A/C must have a full charge for the HV battery AUX A/C system to regulate the battery temperature but I see no reason it has to be charged to start the engine. Here again one of the fail safe systems would stop overheating by shutting down the use of the motor/generators from charging or discharging the HV battery.
The relays in the battery junction box could also have been shorted out and you may want to have them checked. They caused my FEH not to start and it cost me ~$1200 to find that problem. Here is some photos of those relays: http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/showg...ge/2/ppuser/36
You may want to replace those relays and try the jump start procedure again.
There are many fail safe systems to prevent a burned out motor/generator