High RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 06:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default High RPMs

Does anyone else get scared when your hybrid reves up to 6,000 RPM while going up a hill on the interstate with the speed control on? We took our first road trip last weekend and I had my MMH at 80 mph on I-70 in eastern Utah. It was loaded down with 4 adults and so much stuff you couldn't see out the back window. (we were heading to the lake). The first hill we came to, the MMH shot up to 6,000 RPM but never lost speed! My old explorer would never do that. It would cut off at about 3,500 RPM and I'd have to floor it to keep speed. As hot as these cars run, I was wondering if this is not good on the engine/motor? I am also concerned about trips over the passes in Colorado where some of them are many miles of steep up-hill. Any sugestions?

Old 07-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: High RPMs

Don't worry. That's the way it's supposed to work, and you'll only further confuse yourself if you try comparing the way this vehicle works to the way a conventional vehicle works.

I'm not sure what you mean by "as hot as these cars run" but these vehicles are completely computer controlled, and if something were about to happen that would damage the engine/motor, it would not be allowed to happen. Unlike a conventional vehicle you can't really do something stupid like over-rev or grind gears or whatever. So, basically, just trust it - it's (for the most part) 'smarter' than you are.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've noticed the same thing, and although it's the way it is supposed to work, it is very annoying. I've taken to shutting off the cruise control on hills, and just slowing down a little.

I'm sure the engine is fine, as randykato said above, it's how it was designed, and is computer controlled. But it is not music to my ears.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

It's needing maximum torque delivery when climbing hills fully loaded at highway speeds, and maximum torque for the ICE is at those high RPMs. It's similar to a conventional vehicle shifting to a lower gear and running at high RPMs.

It can be a bit alarming since this engine/system rarely revs so high, but it's still below redline.

However, as noted elsewhere, cruise control is very bad for FE in hilly conditions, and especially in situations like this one. So what you're doing - taking it off cruise control and slowing down a bit - accomplishes a couple of things. It avoids the high-rev worries, and saves gas.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Keep in mind also that the factory spec for maximum RPM's is always conservative. You won't ever hurt the car that way while driving providing you're in the proper gear, and as noted earlier, you're ALWAYS in the proper gear. So I would enjoy the power.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:09 PM
Enthusiast

Cruise control is for flat country. In hilly country it is a gas guzzler. I drive by the tach going uphill. Try to keep tach at 3000 rpm, occasionally let it go up to 4000 rpm; and let the eCVT adjust the speed. This keeps the engine work load fairly constant. Variations result in higher gas consumption.