Homelink rearview mirror

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 08:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Overhead Storage Console

I added an overhead console to my 05 FEH, I bought it on ebay for $30.

I was also going to add a Homelink mirror, but the Homelink model was so expensive that I settled for the Gentek mirror with outside temp, compass, reading lights etc but skipped the Homelink.

I then bought a Homelink setup off ebay brand new for $34. The one I bought was for a KIA Sedona, but it matches the Escape interior just fine -I attached it to the headliner right behind the overhead console.

~John

Old 09-22-2006, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by jmorton10

I then bought a Homelink setup off ebay brand new for $34. The one I bought was for a KIA Sedona, but it matches the Escape interior just fine -I attached it to the headliner right behind the overhead console.

~John
John,
Would you mind posting a picture?

Old 09-22-2006, 10:26 AM

I will as soon as I get a chance to. I am out of town right now, when I get back I will snap a few shots.

~John

Old 09-25-2006, 05:37 PM

Here is the Home-Link setup I installed:

http://www.pbase.com/jmorton10/image/67533283

~John

Old 09-29-2006, 12:59 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Homelink rearview mirror

Finally received my Gentex auto-dim mirror with homelink.

I've pretty much figured out the installation except the most obvious. How do I pop the existing rear-view mirror off without damaging/scratching the mirror? Insert screw-driver from the bottom and pry against the mirror? Yank it out by hand? I can't find any "snap" or "screw" so I don't really know where to begin.

The last hurdle, perhaps the biggest one, is figuring out how to do the wiring! After studying this photo here for a week, I still don't know what it means. Here: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chevyc...a6.jpg&.src=ph

I see 2 pink "tabs" and 1 ground loop at the end of the wire harness, how do I connect these "wire tabs" to the driver's side "kick-panel" with all the fuses? Is there any "cutting and splicing" of wires involved? From the photo, it seems like it, but I can't really tell because the photo is not clear. Anybody who can help, please!!!

Old 09-29-2006, 04:01 AM

Removing the existing mirror can be kinda scary. You have to stick a screwdriver in the notch at the bottom & pull towards you really hard & then pop it upward. I was scared I was going to slip & crack the windshield, but it worked out just fine.

I used a 12v test light to find a wire that was hot with the key on & went off with the key off. I then used a blue 3M "scotchlock" wire tap to connect the mirror wire, the ground can be connected under any grounded screw.

~John

Old 09-29-2006, 12:10 PM
Enthusiast

I got mine off by inserting a screwdriver, prying a little bit and tapping the mirror mount in the upwards direction to slide it off. I used the handle of a screwdriver to tap. It didn't take a very hard tap. Also, I sprayed around the connection with Windex to get a little lube going. I used the wire behind the 12 v plug up on the dash, not the one on the console. The upper one is switched. If you tilt your glove box down you can see this wire, the blue one is the correct one.

Jay

Last edited by jginaz; 09-29-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

About the mirror, a couple of quick questions:

1. the existing one is supposed to "slide out" right?

2. the gentex mirror is designed to "slide in"? Will there be a "click" or "snap"? How far should the torx screw on the Gentex mirror be fastened?

Old 09-29-2006, 05:26 PM
Enthusiast

The mirror will slide out toward the top of the windshield using my previous post's technique. I did not have to exert any amount of force that made me concerned.
I don't have the Gentex mirror so I can't comment on that. Mine slid in and had a screw in the middle to tighten. It was hex cap screw (allen wrench).

Jay

Old 10-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Phew, finally managed to get the stock mirror of the windshield by lightly prying on the bottom and sliding it off the mount. But after reviewing the hood and installation procedures, I realize the whole thing is not as "easy" as I thought. I have the following questions:

1. First issue, where to tap power? From reading various posts, it seems like there are various sources, but I can't find any of these "panels" or "plugs". So my first question is, which of the following is the "best" (as in minimal intrusion, not affecting functioning of existing features) power source: 110/12V accessory outlet, upper cigarette ligher, center console?

2. Does anybody have experience in opening up center console? There are various panels and screws and I'm afraid of not being able put the whole thing together without explicit instruction. So photos and instructions will be much appreciated here.

3. Gentex wiring harness has 2 ends, one connects to mirror and the splits into 3 parts. First part is ground loop, the other 2 are pink "caps" that has a metal in it, what are these called? What else do I need to connect these "caps" to a live wire? Is there splicing involved?

4. The next series of issues involve the temp sensor. From the photos on this page, it seems prety easy, but once I take a look at the hood, I realize these photos do not represent how the hood actually is. For example, in Step 5, the cables are easily visible, but I can't find them in mya car. So does anybody know if any parts need to be removed in the hood to gain access to the wires and cables? Is this even recommended, because I saw a big sign in the hood area "do not change/tamper with engine compartments"!

Quick Reply: Homelink rearview mirror

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands