How Can I Tell If My Used 2006 FEH AWD Have the Safety Package?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default How Can I Tell If My Used 2006 FEH AWD Have the Safety Package?

I bought a 2006 FEH AWD with 59,997-miles on it a few weeks ago. I am trying to determine which packages/options mine has and doesn't have. IntelliChoice lists the packages/options at
http://www.intellichoice.com/reports...06/Ford/Escape. It appears to have the Premium Package (18M), since it has Monochromatic Appearance, Navigation System, Audiophile System, Retractable Cargo Cover, Rear Floor Mats, Heated O/S Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensors, Front 110V Power Outlet, 7 Speakers, Premium Leather Surfaced Heated Front Bucket Seats, and Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel. However, I am trying to determine if it has the Safety Package (85S). How can I tell? It doesn't appear that I have it, since I don't see the front seats or roofliner labeled as them containing airbags.

Also, does the 2006 FEH come standard with tire pressure monitoring system?

Last edited by Escape_from_Hanover; 07-14-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How Can I Tell If My Used 2006 FEH AWD Have the Safety Package?

Your VIN will tell you everything you need to know.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

If you have the side airbags your front seats will have tags on them that say "AIR BAG".

The TPMS was not installed in all 2006 models - in fact, I don't know if it was available for 2006 MY.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by denverjay
If you have the side airbags your front seats will have tags on them that say "AIR BAG".

The TPMS was not installed in all 2006 models - in fact, I don't know if it was available for 2006 MY.
TPMS is available on SOME of them at least... mine has it.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

There are not tags that say "AIR BAG" on the side of the front seats, so, as I suspected, it does not have the Safety Package. Oh, well. It has just about everything else, including power moonroof, but the extra safety features would have been "icing on the cake."

I have found several websites that indicate TPMS was available in MY 2006, but I doubt mine has it. My FEH was produced early in the MY, and I suspect TPMS was probably available later in the MY. I guess I will eventually find out if my FEH has it or not.

All the VIN tells me is: the assembly country is USA; Make is Ford; Body Style is Sport Utility; Restraint is Second Generation Airbag, Gross Vehicle Weight is 4,001 - 5,000; Escape Hybrid (Truck/SUV), Engine is 2.3-liter, Cylinders are 4, and Fuel is gasoline; Model Year is 2006, Assembly Plant is Claycomo, MO; and the Production Sequence Number (last six characters/numbers).

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-15-2008, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Escape_from_Hanover
I have found several websites that indicate TPMS was available in MY 2006, but I doubt mine has it. My FEH was produced early in the MY, and I suspect TPMS was probably available later in the MY. I guess I will eventually find out if my FEH has it or not.
You could just let the air out of a tire while the vehicle is on and see if you get the warning!

Old 07-16-2008, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tim K
You could just let the air out of a tire while the vehicle is on and see if you get the warning!
I'm not shure but I think you also have to have the vehicle rolling down the road... I think they don't transmit when they are still to save the batteries in the transmitters in the tires... I THINK.... I could very well be wrong on that but if you just sit in the driveway and get no indication, you might have to be moving. Not fast mind you... that wouldn't be safe, and the air has to be something like below 24psi doesn't it?