GreenHybrid Interactive Hybrid Car Resource
Home Discuss Articles Compare Share Shop
GreenHybrid.com   Hybrid Car Forums   Tech Information   Mileage & Specs   Photo Gallery   Buying Guide  
GreenHybrid Mileage Database - Click here to track your MPG! Join Hybrid car discussions today - Create a FREE GreenHybrid Account

Go Back   GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars > Hybrid Cars > Ford Motor Company > Ford Escape Hybrid
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2006 Toyota Prius
Default how many miles people getting out of Escape

I have been thinking about the Escape. Have people been able to put high mileage on them, say over 100,000 without major rebuilds? Thanks.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:07 PM

Hybrids: 05 FWD FEH, '09 FWD FEHL
Default Re: how many miles people getting out of Escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver110 View Post
I have been thinking about the Escape. Have people been able to put high mileage on them, say over 100,000 without major rebuilds? Thanks.
New York Taxis are going over 300,000 miles without any major problems including the HV battery.

GaryG

Old 03-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 09 MMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
New York Taxis are going over 300,000 miles without any major problems including the HV battery.

GaryG
I believe you. But for the sake of others I work with, do you have a reliable source for that?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2005 Escape AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coal Miner View Post
I believe you. But for the sake of others I work with, do you have a reliable source for that?
A quick Goggle search: http://www.hybridcars.com/fleets/tax...ity-25167.html
"Paul Gillespie, San Francisco Taxicab Commission president, said some of his city’s Ford Escape hybrid taxis had passed 300,000 miles of use with no problems."

2005 4WD Escape Hybrid

Best Interstate tank trip E20 MPG 34.6 for 271 miles along I-80 in Indiana and Ohio. May 2008

Best multiple road tank trip E20 MPG 36.2 for 202 miles in Southwestern Pa. July 2008.

Best multiple road tank trip E50 38.1 MG for 246 miles in Northern Wisconsin Aug 2012
Old 03-11-2009, 05:52 AM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2009 Ford Escape LTD

I'm at 109K miles and going strong. No major issues.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: Escape

2006 FEH, purchased Dec 05, 41,000 miles, no problems so far.

The fundamental design of the components is quite simple and well understood. The Transaxle is a planetary gear set, various kinds of these have been in production for vehicles for a century. So long as the traction motor & generator electrical portions hold up I would expect it will have a long life.

Regarding the battery: so long as it gets cycled I would expect it to last also. With a different kind of chemistry submarine batteries (admittedly Pb Acid type) always last longer if they are cycled. So drive your FEH and use that battery, it keeps the chemistry fresh!

I like what I see in mine and the design & engineering appears well done. I am planning on keeping it for a long time. (92 Suburban:373,000 & 01 Mustang Cobra 251,000)
Old 03-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: '06 Ford EH 4WD

Bought 7/06, ready to click 80K. Luv it!

Take Care,
Steve
Oregon

Please Don't Feed the Trolls

4WD

"You have received an infraction at GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars"
At: http://greenhybrid.com/discuss/showthread.php?t=12748
Old 03-20-2009, 08:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2008 FEH and 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
Bought 7/06, ready to click 80K. Luv it!
Wow, thats like 30K/year. It makes my 1K/Month look really low and I feel like I drive a lot

My car (for the most part):

My old car, now the new bride's car:
Old 03-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: Escape

I have an 08 Job 1 Escape and just cross 55K mark. No problems other than standard maintenance and some nice baths. I did not get the Sirius radio and tried to have dealer install after the fact, but have had no luck with getting a module to work. They sub-crontracted and the dealer gave up. But subcontractor says they can produce in 3-4 weeks with an aftermarket company producing one to integrate with the Nav system.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: '05 Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD & '06 Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post

GaryG
And if you have ANY doubts as to how comforting it is to know this, you really *should* go visit New York and take a ride in a Taxi. If you've never ridden in a NYC taxi, it's a bit of a thrill-ride.

We have determined that these taxi's don't actually have 'accelerator pedals'.. they have 'on/off switches' on the floor located where the pedal would normally be located. At least that's how their drivers use them. ;-) NY Taxi Cab drivers either totally mash the pedal to the floor or they slam on the brakes. They drive these cars completely contrary to everything you'll ever read about one *should* drive hybrid to optimize fuel economy.

These cars are really abused. The fact that they log that many miles without any substantial failures says a LOT about them.

I was in NYC last week and asked my Taxi driver how he liked his FEH. He really raved about it. He said it was a great car, he loved it, said it was very dependable, etc. (all the way mashing the pedal to the floor, tail-gating, making turns from the wrong lane, slamming on the brakes, etc.) I realized afterward that I forgot to ask him about his fuel economy. I was _really_ interested to know that since their driving habits are awful.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:09 AM

Tags
cars, drive, escape, expect, ford, forde, high, hybrid, hybrids, maintenance, mileage, miles, people, proper, put, tank