How NOT to do the Cabin Air filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default How NOT to do the Cabin Air filter

Okay, feel free to have a chuckle at my expense...I deserve it.

After suffering with horrendous ragweed allergy for the first time in years, I finally got around to installing a cabin air filter in the '05, my current ride. I followed the instructions carefully and it went well.....almost.

Before I reinstalled the covers over the air filter I figured I would clean all the dust and dirt off them. I gave them a good wipedown and since I already had the cleaning cloth in my hand I figured I would wipe down the area around the covers under the hood. As I did so I knocked the 4 plastic covers off the spot I placed them - on top of a bracket near the ABS module. I was able to find one but the other three were nowhere to be seen - not on the ground, not on the plastic shield under the motor, nowhere. I used a mirror, a flashlight, crawled under and felt around etc. I killed an hour or so looking. It's raining today anyway so I was just killing the day but this was ridiculous.

I had given up and was going to do without. I checked the air in the tires and had to add a couple pounds when I had a brainstorm. I put the blower attachment on the air hose, put in under the hood and let it go at about 90 psi. Don't know where they were hiding but out they came. Landed right on the garage floor.

Other than that mess, the job would have taken less than 20 minutes and that included wasting 5 talking to a door to door magazine salesgirl "just trying to earn college credits".

We'll see if the filter helps the allergy situation any......

Old 08-25-2006, 12:15 PM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How NOT to do the Cabin Air filter

Originally Posted by nitramjr

Other than that mess, the job would have taken less than 20 minutes and that included wasting 5 talking to a door to door magazine salesgirl "just trying to earn college credits".

Happened to me twice the last two times I was fixing my car!...inturrupted by the girl trying to earn college credits, I mean.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

I put in the cabin filter today, and it only took me about ten minutes. Be carful, the plastic is very soft and can be scratched very easily (I learned the hard way ).

I am suprised that a car this price does not have a cabin filter.
Rick.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:42 PM
occ

Hi Rick,

Where did you get your cabin filter? Does it comes with instructions?

Thanks.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:09 AM

Here's a post where I mention the cabin air filter part # (I got a Bosch brand; no particular reason) and where I got it online.

I put mine in several weeks after purchasing our '06 FEH in March of this year. I have bad allergies and it certainly can't hurt!

Old 09-01-2006, 05:39 PM
occ

Much oblige, GeekGal! Gotta check to see if it fits the 07 MMH.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:44 PM
occ

Ok...I just got the cabin air filter, from drivewire.com, for 2005-6 MMH.

Am I going nuts, or did they change the cabin air duct assembly for the 2007 MMH?!?

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi...4/P9070079.JPG

There's no way that rectangle cabin air filter is going to fit in this strange trapazoidal duct assembly in my 07 MMH!

Does any 06 MMH owner have seen this on their MMH? Seems like I've found something completely different from 06 to 07. Help! Can someone confirm please!

Old 09-08-2006, 06:11 AM

I've had my '06 open and put in a cabin filter. The opening you show looks completely different from mine.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

As I recall (it was a year and a half ago), my 2005 FEH's intake did look like that except for one thing... there was a rectangular inner frame that held the filter nicely.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:10 AM
occ

Originally Posted by randykato
As I recall (it was a year and a half ago), my 2005 FEH's intake did look like that except for one thing... there was a rectangular inner frame that held the filter nicely.
Besides the fact that the shape of the duct assembly is not rectangle, it is also too small for the filter that I got. The large side of the duct is ~2" larger than the width of the filter, and the trapazodial side is only half the width of the filter. It seems like the 07 MMH requires that strange shape filter. No inner frame of anykind.

Anyone has an 07 FEH they can comment?

Hopefully this post can prevent 07 MMH (or maybe even the FEH) from buying 2001-6 cabin air filter.

Thanks all.

Quick Reply: How NOT to do the Cabin Air filter

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands