Hub Nut Torque Spec

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 04:57 AM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: Hub Nut Torque Spec

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
Do the math for a 10' cheater bar: 100 lbs x 10 ft = 1,000 ft-lbs...

That's that way you break things. What will break here is not the bearing but the threads on the spindle or inside the hub nut. The bearing also will likely fail sooner.

I don't care how big & nasty something is, it's built for a certain clamping force. In this day & age of computer design there is far less margin for error than once upon a time...

Once you go beyond the elastic limit of the metal, it's deformed permanently...
Of course we're talking of thousandths... and one thousandth too much still goes into plastic deformation. You can't pull it back from plastic deformation so it will fail much sooner.

For the rest of the world: A ten foot cheater bar is a Bad, bad idea.
I've repaired machinery from both extremes. Any application that's worried about deforming metal isn't going have a moderate press fit. Either it'll have a slip fit or a light press fit, something that heat from a light bulb would be enough.