HV Battery Cooling Fan Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 10:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: HV Battery Cooling Fan Replacement

Originally Posted by elborak
When my battery fans started to fail, there was really no mistaking the problem. Vehicle rarely dropped into EV mode and fan noise from the rear increased significantly (and never really stopped).

If you're seeing no clear signs of degraded hybrid performance, I'd be reluctant to sink the time and money into this service. Ford service is expensive and DIY is a fair amount of work. Plus working inside the HV battery pack is not something to be taken lightly.

That being said, it's a very doable DIY if you've got the tools. As I mentioned above, my only difficulty was dealing with the lip on the cover. Took some real force to get that thing back on!
I already took mine apart to inspect it then reassembled it to take to Ford for a Diagnostic. I removed the security screws from the rear of the battery cover then put a little silicon on the fan section cover gasket. I had to pry a little but was able to slide the fan cover back under the battery one. Obviously the pack was designed so the entire thing should be removed to service it. Not a good option for a home mechanic. Thank you elborak for pointing me to this thread.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:43 PM
Enthusiast

I replaced the fans today. It actually was not a difficult job. I took about 1 1/2 hours but I knew already how do get into the fan area from previously opening it for inspection. I drive about 5 miles and everything worked great but I still don't hear fans running. Should this be obvious or are they very quiet?

Old 07-12-2016, 09:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by John A Smith
Should this be obvious or are they very quiet?
There's an audible difference in fan noise between key on and key off.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast

All I can say about this repair is WOW!!! After replacing the fans I took my Escape for about a 30 mile drive, some freeway and some in town. I was hoping for some EV improvement but I wasn't prepared for the dramatic improvement that occurred. EV started, stopped, charged and assisted like it did when new. I thought the battery pack was weak but it is just fine. I tested it on pure EV at 20 mph and I got 2 miles before the engine started. Fuel economy also improved dramatically according to the EV display. Next project is the PCV hose that Ford decided to put where you have to remove major components to access it.

Last edited by John A Smith; 07-14-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:04 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Good work!

My FEH is sounding really nice after having a defective front wheel bearing replaced.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:20 AM
Enthusiast

Maybe someone can help me. My wife drives a 2006 Escape Hybrid. She has fault codes of P0A27 & P0A81. Local dealer said fans needed to be replaced with Part # 5M6Z-10C659-B. I plan on doing the job myself and ordered the parts from a dealer out of NJ. They came back and told me that part does not fit the vehicle and her model is cooled by a Aux A/C unit in the rear quarter panel. Can someone verify this? I thought the part Ford suggested fit a range of model years and I could use it.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:51 AM
Enthusiast

What they told you was partly accurate but mostly wrong. It is true that inside the DS rear quarter panel is a small a/c evaporator coil that is for cooling the battery pack. But, there is much more to it than that. On the left inside panel in the back is a small door. Remove it and the small air filter inside. There is a flap that opens so that outside air can be used for battery cooling when a/c is not required. When the battery does need a/c the flap closes allowing circulating air to be pulled through that coil. If you use a mirror and flashlight while the flap is open you can see the coil. I was able to reach it with my fingers and I felt it. Now look at the exterior of that quarter panel up in the window area. These are vents, the top is for exhausting warm air from the battery and the bottom is for fresh air intake. That is how the battery cools when a/c is not required. When a/c is needed the flap closes off the outside fresh air intake. I hope that makes sense so far. Keep in mind I just figured this out from my 2005 Escape Hybrid, I’m no expert. Now for the fans, they are critical and the battery pack requires them for proper operation. All of the air circulation, whether fresh or cooled, is pulled in by them. They are inside the battery pack under the rear access panel. This area is low voltage but great care is required. Some basic understanding of electrical is important but otherwise the job is not very difficult. Assuming the 2006 battery pack was unchanged from 2005 you have the correct part number. It isn’t really a part but rather a kit that includes 2 fans, a few installation parts and a very detailed step by step guide. I paid $300 for mine shipped from a Ford dealer in Las Vegas, NV. BTW, you will need a set of security type star bits to remove the battery cover. Please disconnect your 12 volt battery and unplug the HV battery disconnect. Lastly, I would read this entire thread since I got good info from it. I hope that helps.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:29 PM
Enthusiast

John, thank you for the detail, I appreciate it. I've been doing tons of reading on this and I think my only concern is if the part in question will also work in a 2006. I can't seem to confirm that is the case. Everything else I'm fine with. Especially all the others with this issue and them explaining their symptoms related to bad fans and my wife experiencing the same type of problems, loud fans, minimal EV time, etc. But even during this research I can't seem to find anyone that suggests a different fan assembly.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:39 AM
Enthusiast

Well I did the fan replacement on Monday and it seemed to clear code P0A81 but not code P0A27. And we are not seeing any difference in hybrid performance and we also continue to hear the fans from the rear. I'm wondering at this point if the blend door is now an issue again. I replaced that a few years back and don't believe I ever got the code to clear. I'm stumped...

Old 11-04-2016, 04:22 AM
Enthusiast

P0A27 is the code for that wiring harness installation/replacement.

Quick Reply: HV Battery Cooling Fan Replacement

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands