Hybrid Battery Discharged Below 40% Threshold

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 05:28 AM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: Hybrid Battery Discharged Below 40% Threshold

Originally Posted by lolder
The theory of the cars and the NiMH HVB's are the same. I knew about the government tests on the Fusions and all the data so I was just trying to help you guys understand how they worked and the difficulties to be encountered in what the OP is attempting to do. I also remember reading somewhere that putting together a perfectly good used HVB and a perfectly good powertrain could be very difficult because of software and unit identity mismatches.
Some in this forum think that Hybrids are so special that theory of cars doesn't apply in many cases. I know that it's against the law to mention another brand but unsure about a different Ford brand and Lincoln has never been mentioned.

The cells used are early Ni-MH low capacity. It's been brought up that current "D" cells have over twice the capacity and possible swapping. I've never had the current high capacity Ni-NM in any form factor last very long.

Well, Hybrid, etc. sales have fizzled out anyways.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

The Ford, Mercury and Lincoln hybrid powertrain and HVBs are all the same in the same year models. The NiMh cells from 2010 onward are improved in chemistry and temperature tolerance but their capacity is about the same, 5.5 amp-hrs. All the hybrid HVBs in the eCVT hybrids have about the same energy capacity, ~ 1.4 kw-hrs. From 2013 on, the Ford cells are 3.7 v. LiIon, a whole different critter with over twice the power capability ( watts ) but still the same 5.0 amp-hour cell capacity and 1.4 kw-hr energy. The present method of managing the NiMH hybrids for extremely long life has been successful. The LiIon systems are yet to be proven in use. Toyota has still not gone to LiIon through the 2015 models.
Hybrids are very different in many ways particularly the HVB, brakes and powertrain. Most everything else about them is standard automotive.
Saudi Arabia is trying to put the alternative energy and marginal fossil fuels producers out of business with low oil prices. High petroleum fuel prices will return. When they do, you'll be able to buy all these SUVs they're selling now for peanuts used.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

"Power" is horsepower or watts and is the rate of doing work per unit of time. One hp ( 746 watts ) is the ability to lift 550 lbs one foot in one second. "Energy" is how much of that you can do. Engines and motors have power ratings. Batteries have energy ( stored ) ratings and peak power capability ratings. Gasoline has only energy ratings.
The gas-electric non-plug in hybrids only need about 1.4 kw hr which is enough to absorb several high speed stops or a small mountain descent. Anything more is a waste of weight and cost. The 1.4 kw-hrs is enough for low speed EV cycling and acceleration assist. The range of SOC is usually only a few hundred w-hrs.

The NiMH HVBs can only put out about 25 Kw of power. The LiIon about 60 kw, big difference. The energy stored is about the same. That means you can draw more power from the LiIon and discharge and charge it faster.

Last edited by lolder; 05-09-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:50 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by lolder
The Ford, Mercury and Lincoln hybrid powertrain and HVBs are all the same in the same year models. The NiMh cells from 2010 onward are improved in chemistry and temperature tolerance but their capacity is about the same, 5.5 amp-hrs. All the hybrid HVBs in the eCVT hybrids have about the same energy capacity, ~ 1.4 kw-hrs. From 2013 on, the Ford cells are 3.7 v. LiIon, a whole different critter with over twice the power capability ( watts ) but still the same 5.0 amp-hour cell capacity and 1.4 kw-hr energy. The present method of managing the NiMH hybrids for extremely long life has been successful. The LiIon systems are yet to be proven in use. Toyota has still not gone to LiIon through the 2015 models.
Hybrids are very different in many ways particularly the HVB, brakes and powertrain. Most everything else about them is standard automotive.
Saudi Arabia is trying to put the alternative energy and marginal fossil fuels producers out of business with low oil prices. High petroleum fuel prices will return. When they do, you'll be able to buy all these SUVs they're selling now for peanuts used.
You must be referring to the cells they use not what's available as one can get a 11 Ah "D" cells.

Charging Li-Ion cells is a much simpler procedure than Ni-MH.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wptski
You must be referring to the cells they use not what's available as one can get a 11 Ah "D" cells.
That should have been quite obvious from the context.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:00 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GatorJ
That should have been quite obvious from the context.
Are you going to file a lawsuit? Why don't you just ignore all my posts or do you enjoy making comments like this?

Old 05-12-2015, 08:24 AM
Enthusiast

lolder is correct. There is no normal 12 volt powered starter motor on the gasoline engine. The high voltage motor starts the engine and if the high voltage battery is below the minimal allowed voltage/capacity, it is just not going to start as there is no juice available to start it. In general terms this is still where I am at.

Econoline, can you elaborate more on what you observed and how? How did you confirm your HV battery was below 40% and down to 25% IIRC? Is this what you see on the middle screen when you push the battery button just to the left of the middle screen? I did find this button over the weekend and all I get is an image of the potential power flow from the ICE or electric motor . But no activity or numbers at all. I believe this is probably due to the fact I am below the cut-off point of the HV battery. Perhaps you have not reached that cut-off point?

I did have one additional observation this weekend. When I push the booster/charge button, I noted that this current HV battery (sat 1 year) versus the originally installed HV battery (sat 2 to 3 years) definately drains the 12 volt battery much more significantly. With a 20 amp charge on the 12 volt battery and at 14.1 volts charging level, when the charger button is pushed, you can see the voltage drop to the 12's in a matter of a couple of minutes. The other older battery could not draw quick enough to drop the voltage, with the 20 amp charge hooked up.

I feel like I am making progress with this battery but just have no way of knowing how far away I still am.

Again if anyone out there has any suggestions on how to have the battery tested, by a Hybrid battery service center or technician or in place by myself, I would appreciate hearing from you. Also any confirmation or input that I am on the right track (or not on the right track) regarding not being able to read the capacity of the battery with the on- line FEH system, would be greatly apprecaited.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

I believe all of these components including the HVB have digital identities and the software has to control their working together and Ford may have to do that. They said bring it in. I would do that.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:01 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dvalley49
lolder is correct. There is no normal 12 volt powered starter motor on the gasoline engine. The high voltage motor starts the engine and if the high voltage battery is below the minimal allowed voltage/capacity, it is just not going to start as there is no juice available to start it. In general terms this is still where I am at.

Econoline, can you elaborate more on what you observed and how? How did you confirm your HV battery was below 40% and down to 25% IIRC? Is this what you see on the middle screen when you push the battery button just to the left of the middle screen? I did find this button over the weekend and all I get is an image of the potential power flow from the ICE or electric motor . But no activity or numbers at all. I believe this is probably due to the fact I am below the cut-off point of the HV battery. Perhaps you have not reached that cut-off point?

I did have one additional observation this weekend. When I push the booster/charge button, I noted that this current HV battery (sat 1 year) versus the originally installed HV battery (sat 2 to 3 years) definately drains the 12 volt battery much more significantly. With a 20 amp charge on the 12 volt battery and at 14.1 volts charging level, when the charger button is pushed, you can see the voltage drop to the 12's in a matter of a couple of minutes. The other older battery could not draw quick enough to drop the voltage, with the 20 amp charge hooked up.

I feel like I am making progress with this battery but just have no way of knowing how far away I still am.

Again if anyone out there has any suggestions on how to have the battery tested, by a Hybrid battery service center or technician or in place by myself, I would appreciate hearing from you. Also any confirmation or input that I am on the right track (or not on the right track) regarding not being able to read the capacity of the battery with the on- line FEH system, would be greatly apprecaited.
And incidentally if the 12-volt battery is too weak to close some relays that connect the high voltage battery to the rest of the car, it can't be started regardless of the high voltage charge level.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast

Xspirit, That is a good observation and may explailn why some folks think they have started there Hybrid with a low charged HV battery when in fact the HV battery was above the cutout threshold, but the 12 volt battery was originally too weak to operate the relays. Once they receive a 12 volt jump or charge to the 12 volt battery, they are now able to start the ICE because the relays now allow access to the HV battery.

Lolder, as stated before "bring it in" to Ford is not an option for several technical, logistical, and financial reasons. Even the Tech at the local dealership advises I won't get much satisfaction from going through Ford with an older unwarranted SUV, unless I am willing to let a lot of time go by for the machine to be scheduled and delivered and a lot of service hours. However I am willing to bring the HV battery to anyone in the 100 mile area that can test them. I know non-Ford affiliated Hybrid battery centers exist. The closest big name place that has several shops across the country is in New Jersey about 200 miles away. I am looking for something closer to Enfield, CT. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Hybrid Battery Discharged Below 40% Threshold

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands