ICE horsepower and torque curves

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 12:43 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default ICE horsepower and torque curves

Does anyone know the wherabouts of a horspower and torque graph for the FEH?

Old 03-20-2006, 01:38 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: ICE horsepower and torque curves

As I recall, there was one at the FEH Experience in Dearborn, so in strict answer, probably at the Research and Design center in Dearborn, MI.

Now, as for one online, not sure.

Old 03-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the response! The published torque for the ICE is 135 lb/ft at 4500.
My sense it that the engine has a pretty flat curve and is making close to that at some much lower rpm. I want to figure out, in generalm, where the fattest torque at the lowest rpm is and grind that into my accelleration habits. Currently, I try to hold the ICE at just a touch over 2000 on most accelleration. Should it turn out that it makes 50 more lbs of torque at 2300, I would move my rpms up to that spot on accelleration...

MM

Old 03-20-2006, 05:53 PM

The torque curve starts to slow at about 1800 rpm's to about 2200 rpm's, picks up at 2200 rpm's to 2450 rpm's. After that, it slows to 3,000 rpm's where it is flat to 3,500 rpm's. It shoots up from 3,500 rpm's to 4,000 rpm's and starts dropping slowly to 6,000. All down hill after that. This is based on a graph I have comparing Engine Torque (Nm) to Engine Speed (RPM) in a torque comparison of the Otto Cycle and the Atkinson Cycle we have.

For acceleration in the FEH, there is not much torque at low RPM's period. Watch your Assist/Charge needle start to move to Assist and your at the Max load of the ICE. This can be far below 2,000 rpm's depending on your throttle angle (requested torque). Ford designed the electric motors to begin assistance at Max load on the ICE. If you need assist, its there, but thats not where good MPG can be found IMHO.

If I need to get out fast, there is not much gained after 2,450 from the ICE during acceleration for FE. My goal is to hold at 1,800 or fake shift at 2,000 rpm's during acceleration while keeping the load under 90% on the scangauge. The slower the acceleration, the better for Max FE. If I can, I accelerate between 70-80% Load. If you are using Assist, you are wasting mpg IMHO.

GaryG

Old 03-21-2006, 09:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

Any chance you could share the graph somehow?

MM

Old 03-21-2006, 10:27 AM

Mark, the graph was sent to me in a slide show for the MMH. It was sent by email from Hal Lewis who is a member of GH. The graph could not be printed and I don't know how Hal was able to copy the link without starting the slide show. Maybe he can send you a copy if he reads this post.

Good Luck

GaryG

Old 03-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

Hmm, as I recall there may be a graph of that on the MMH CD that they gave out at the FEH Experience.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast

If you can get a copy of Design News magazine (03.20.06 issue), there is an article on Tom Watson, engineer of the year. Page 86 of the article has the graph you are looking for. (Unfortunately, you have to get the paper version, the online version doesn't have the graph.)

Old 03-23-2006, 01:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Read the article on line. It was great. I'll look for the paper version.

MM

Old 03-25-2006, 10:50 AM
Enthusiast

Here is the graph, but it only has torque:

Don

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
FEH_ICE_torque.pdf (166.7 KB, 355 views)

Quick Reply: ICE horsepower and torque curves

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands