If both hybrid and regular batteries are dead, jump start won't work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 01:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question If both hybrid and regular batteries are dead, jump start won't work?

I tried to jump start it but didn't work. Seller said the hybrid battery is dead. How to jump start it? Can the car run with a dead hybrid battery?

Updates:
I bought it and installed a new 12v battery, it started with no issue

Last edited by accent2010; 01-31-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:13 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: If both hybrid and regular batteries are dead, jump start won't work?

Nope. Have to replace or charge the 12 volt batt. first. This video will show what else must be done.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:24 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: If both hybrid and regular batteries are dead, jump start won't work?

Updates:
Installed a new 12v battery, it started with no issue

Old 01-31-2017, 10:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

And the old 12v battery won't charge with my car or my home charger. Brought it to a battery shop, they charged it and brought it to live.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:44 PM
Enthusiast

Was the HVB actually dead?

Old 01-31-2017, 07:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bdginmo
Was the HVB actually dead?
No, it has no issue. It turned out the seller had limited knowledge of the hybrid. A local garage told him to replace the hybrid battery that was why he sold it very cheap. It turned out the only thing it needed was a deep charge to the 12v battery.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:30 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by accent2010
No, it has no issue. It turned out the seller had limited knowledge of the hybrid. A local garage told him to replace the hybrid battery that was why he sold it very cheap. It turned out the only thing it needed was a deep charge to the 12v battery.
Ah ok...that makes sense. Sounds like you got a good deal. When you finally got it running again did it go into charge recovery mode? That's where it aggressively charges the HVB and won't use the EV boost until the HVB gets back up to a normal charge.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bdginmo
Ah ok...that makes sense. Sounds like you got a good deal. When you finally got it running again did it go into charge recovery mode? That's where it aggressively charges the HVB and won't use the EV boost until the HVB gets back up to a normal charge.
When test the SUV, I tried to jump start it using a jump starter, it didn't work. Anyway, I brought a new battery when I picked up the SUV, it started without any issues. I did try to find the jump start button showed in the youtube video but I do not see it. Maybe not all 2008 Escape Hybrid are the same?

Old 02-07-2017, 05:37 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by accent2010
When test the SUV, I tried to jump start it using a jump starter, it didn't work. Anyway, I brought a new battery when I picked up the SUV, it started without any issues. I did try to find the jump start button showed in the youtube video but I do not see it. Maybe not all 2008 Escape Hybrid are the same?
They all have to have that switch as it's part of the system.