Just bought a 2008 FEH...Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default Just bought a 2008 FEH...Few Questions

Hello everyone. I am new here. My wife and I just purchased a 2008 FEH 4x4 with 55,000 miles and fully loaded. I am overall extremely happy with the purchase but I have a a few questions.

1. Do I need a scan gauge if I have the navigation unit with the mpg/engine readout already?

2. Is there anyway to update the factory navigation unit with the newer models? This one seems to be dated and does not have the Sync like the 09 and newer models.

3. If I buy the navigation update CD does it update the entire software or just the new maps? This system as a whole seems laggy and outdated.

4. I am learning how to Pulse and Glide and use L shift but if I am getting around 32mpg city/hwy should I be happy with this or is it easy to get higher without driving terribly slow??

5. So far I have made sure the filters were clean and put the tires to 44psi. Are there any other upgrades for this vehicle that is a "must have?" We will be traveling a lot in this vehicle so we want to make it as comfortable and efficient as possible.

Thank you for your time!

Old 05-20-2015, 05:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Just bought a 2008 FEH...Few Questions

i bought the updated navigation disc and it is just a better map with updated streets and stuff.
44 psi seems a bit much. ford recommends 35 and i use 37

Old 05-20-2015, 06:02 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you for your response. I was hoping there might be an update to the enitire software. Is it the same exact layout and buttons even after the update??

I have read on multiple sites/forums that 44psi or even higher gives you the mpg.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by egon10psi
Thank you for your response. I was hoping there might be an update to the enitire software. Is it the same exact layout and buttons even after the update??

I have read on multiple sites/forums that 44psi or even higher gives you the mpg.
The higher the tire pressure the more precise the cornering and the better the mileage. But higher pressure means longer stopping distances, more chance to damage the tires and a rougher ride. Pressures above the recommended range will also result in wearing out the center of the tread before the shoulders.

I run my summer tires at 40psi on the FEH, and the snow tires at 37-38.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:50 PM
Enthusiast

.Thank you Xspirit. And advice on my other questions?

Old 05-20-2015, 10:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by egon10psi
.Thank you Xspirit. And advice on my other questions?
1. A Scangauge will tell you things the display won't. I don't have the display and balk at the cost of installing one. I prefer to avoid the dashboard clutter of the SG. I'm waiting until I have a smartphone that can run an app that does most of these functions with a bluetooth connection to the OBDII port.

4. I have an '09 and never mess around with things like pulse&glide. Our traffic situations simply render this unacceptable. Still, with AWD, the FEH in summer conditions and not running a/c, is getting about 34 mpg US.

5. One upgrade I did was lining most of the interior with sound insulation. I used B-Quiet. I also got some automotive felt and stuffed it in various places. In addition, I used sticky-back foam tape to supplement the stock weatherstripping. Being quieter makes for a more luxurious ride.

I installed a dash cam that has lane departure and front collision warnings, although it's not terribly good at the warnings.

In winter I cover the lower grille opening, to keep the engine warmer and get a tiny bit of streamlining.

I bought some transparent protective film and covered everything on the front end with it, and the mirror shells. Not needed in warmer climates where the roads are not sanded/salted.