Just purchased a 2006 esape hybrid, some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Enthusiast
Default Just purchased a 2006 escape hybrid, some questions.

Hi,
After a lot of looking around and test drives I finally purchased a 2006 fwd escape. It has 29,200 miles on it and seems to run out great. Some questions-
1- Does the 2006 have a working PATS key system? The vehicle came with only one key and I need to get some spares, if the PATS system works I will probably head to the dealer for new keys.
2- The nav system- anyone have a good source for the navigation CDs? I see them on the navteq site for $199, just curious if there was a better (cheaper) source.
3- Has anyone added a 3.5mm input jack for iphone/zunes to these with the factory nav/6 disk cd player? Planing on running to Cartoys (local stereo installer place) to see if they can put one in.
4- Last one- the car did not come w/ remotes, but i assume it had that system and the dealers or owner lost them. Anyhow, the dash has a small LED light by the left vent, it looks like an aftermarket alarm installed light. Weird thing is if i lock the doors that light blinks, as long as I fully unlock the car (two turns left with the key in the door) it disarms things, but if i dont the car goes nuts with horn and lights flashing. I'm curious if that led light is an aftermarket alarm, or standard.

Sorry for so many questions- I love the car so far. We bought a 2008 Escape V6 last year, wife loves it, but I needed a commuter w/ great MPG and this looks like it will be it.

Thanks!!
bill

Last edited by multipleshotsfired; 03-22-2009 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 03-23-2009, 03:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Just purchased a 2006 esape hybrid, some questions.

I had the same problem when I bought my used 2006. I called around to a couple of dealers and finally found a dealer that would program 2 new keys for $125.00. I bought my navigation cds off ebay for $75.00, be patient and keep looking. You can buy remotes of ebay for under $20.00. Can't help you with light by the vent, my 2006 has it in the dash and I know it works, my kids have set if off.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Just purchased a 2006 escape hybrid, some questions.

Originally Posted by multipleshotsfired

1- Does the 2006 have a working PATS key system? The vehicle came with only one key and I need to get some spares, if the PATS system works I will probably head to the dealer for new keys.

4- Last one- the car did not come w/ remotes, but i assume it had that system and the dealers or owner lost them. Anyhow, the dash has a small LED light by the left vent, it looks like an aftermarket alarm installed light. Weird thing is if i lock the doors that light blinks, as long as I fully unlock the car (two turns left with the key in the door) it disarms things, but if i dont the car goes nuts with horn and lights flashing. I'm curious if that led light is an aftermarket alarm, or standard.
My '06 has a PATS key system... I don't know if all do. If you get a PATS key blank you can actually program them yourself... HOWEVER, you need TWO VALID KEYS to do it. If you only have one. I'm not sure how you do it, and I think its pretty expensive.

The small LED isn't on my car so it looks like an aftermarket to me. There is an THEFT light that flashes on the console near the speedometer...THAT is the factory system.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:14 PM

It sounds to me like someone had to rig away around the PAT's system and your key is not a programmed key system any more. The '06 FEH may have been repo'd without the key and an aftermarket system had to be installed. The FOBs or remotes would no longer work on a modified system either. Something just does not smell right about your FEH!

GaryG

Old 03-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

You can add an MP3 player jack -- either a basic audio jack or even a specific jack for an iPod, etc. that allows some remote control.

Check 'PIE' (Precision Interface Electronics). They make the interface and they're sold at car audio stores. The manufacturer is www.pie.net. I think I ordered mine form LogJamElectronics.com.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:26 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
It sounds to me like someone had to rig away around the PAT's system and your key is not a programmed key system any more. The '06 FEH may have been repo'd without the key and an aftermarket system had to be installed. The FOBs or remotes would no longer work on a modified system either. Something just does not smell right about your FEH!

GaryG
Well I did verify it has the PATs system, so I will get a new key from the dealer and pay up I guess. I had the old car alarm removed and a new clifford installed in it's place. Also put in a FM modulator with a switch so I retained the CD player. Put the ipod/zune jack in the center console.

No idea why the original fobs were not with the car, it has a clean carfax, was a single owner car from Nevada, purchased at auction by the dealer. With the current economy a repo would not surprise me at all. Overall it seems to be a great car, lowest mileage one I could find locally.

Overall I am really happy with the Escape.

bill