Kill Switch Idea

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Kill Switch Idea

Originally Posted by MMooney
Second question: I understand that the '09 doesn't require all this foolishness to get the thing to drop to EV, i.e. one can just let off the gas in D at 40, and it will drop out. Is this true?
Mark
That is correct. It drops into EV just by letting off the gas. Doesn't even seem to need to completely remove the gas if you’re under 1500RPM or so. This really helps in the small amount of city driving I do. Rather than drain alot of battery accelerating in EV (needs a very very light touch if I can get it to stay in EV at all), I can accelerate briskly and let off the gas when I reach the speed I want
-- Rick

Old 04-14-2009, 10:06 AM

The other method to get your FEH to drop out of EV is to shift to L at speeds of 40 and below, watch the tach speed up , then drop off, then 'bounce'. Once it 'bounces' you can shift either to N or D and the vehicle will drop to EV. What is going on to make this happen?

Second question: I understand that the '09 doesn't require all this foolishness to get the thing to drop to EV, i.e. one can just let off the gas in D at 40, and it will drop out. Is this true?

My Highlander Hybrid works that way. Take your foot off the gas pedal, and it will drop to EV.

Mark
Ford made it even easier than just letting off the gas pedal Mark. You can set the cruise control between 25 and 40mph and it will go to EV if there is at or above 42% SoC. Sometimes if there is a strong headwind that requires harder acceleration it will not go EV with the CC On. The problem I have is keeping out of EV under 40mph when I want the engine On for acceleration or charging the battery higher. When it falls into EV when I'm not ready and still accelerating it's so smooth you don't know it. This causes ICE Off and a quick restart without time for a blip and you lose 1% SoC. I know now to keep enough pressure on the accelerator to maintain 1,500rpm or higher to prevent premature EV mode.

GaryG

Old 04-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
Ford made it even easier than just letting off the gas pedal Mark. You can set the cruise control between 25 and 40mph and it will go to EV if there is at or above 42% SoC. Sometimes if there is a strong headwind that requires harder acceleration it will not go EV with the CC On. The problem I have is keeping out of EV under 40mph when I want the engine On for acceleration or charging the battery higher. When it falls into EV when I'm not ready and still accelerating it's so smooth you don't know it. This causes ICE Off and a quick restart without time for a blip and you lose 1% SoC. I know now to keep enough pressure on the accelerator to maintain 1,500rpm or higher to prevent premature EV mode.

GaryG
I can see it now, the new spam for the hybrid crowd: "Stop Premature EV!"

Old 04-14-2009, 11:34 AM

I can see it now, the new spam for the hybrid crowd: "Stop Premature EV!"
I had chose a different word but I thought "premature" would reflect how I don't like losing 1% SoC when it pulls that stunt.

GaryG

Old 08-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Coal Miner
This sounds like a very bad idea. You should check if your auto insurance will even cover you if you make a modification like that. I don't think my insurance would.
Nobody checks for that stuff after an accident

Old 08-03-2009, 05:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheBundo
Nobody checks for that stuff after an accident
No... but insurance companies are now downloading and checking the black box vehicles have. Especially in accidents with injuries that they maybe liable for a lot more money than replacement cost of a vehicle. Its how they knew locally that a car was going a certian speed when it crossed in front a train and killed a bunch of teenagers.

I'm quite sure that they'd be very interested in the "ignition off" event that would probably be logged in the black box after an accident if you had one.