Lights flicker during Brake System charging

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default Lights flicker during Brake System charging

05 FEH approx. 130,000

Okay so this has been going on for a while and I have finally decided to ask for some help. I have noticed that over time it seems that when I first enter the vehicle and the Brake System is charging it has gotten quieter and slower. Also, when it is charging the cabin light is now flickering pretty bad. It almost seems as if the battery that controls these things is lacking juice or getting weaker over time.

A couple of months ago it got really bad and I noticed that the 12v Battery had leaked acid all over and basically dissolved the positive terminal. I immediately went and bought a brand new battery and two terminals. I replaced both terminals and installed the new battery. For a few weeks it seemed to be doing much better (no flickering and a sharp strong sound when charging brake system) but it has since begun to get weaker and weaker.

What do you all think?

Old 01-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Lights flicker during Brake System charging

Check the 12 volt battery ground connection at the engine/body side.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Exclamation Re: Lights flicker during Brake System charging

Do what he said.

NOW EXPLAIN THIS...

When I push the power windows UP and keep the button(s) pressed after the window reaches the upper limit ( window stops moving, but power is still applied to the motor ) my headlamps get BRIGHTER!

I thought I was seeing things, but I tried this many many times with my headlamps reflected on a wall, and always the same result.

When the window reaches the top and stops, and the motor stalls, I would assume it would draw more low voltage current. In every other car, this dims the headlamps.

Using the ScanGauge, with two front windows in motion, headlamps on, I get 14.4 volts. When the two front windows stop, buttons still pressed, 14.3 volts and brighter headlamps.

This makes no sense, unless the headlamps are some how on an isolated circuit and I don't think this is the case... Puzzling....

Old 01-13-2010, 06:49 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Do what he said.

NOW EXPLAIN THIS...

When I push the power windows UP and keep the button(s) pressed after the window reaches the upper limit ( window stops moving, but power is still applied to the motor ) my headlamps get BRIGHTER!

I thought I was seeing things, but I tried this many many times with my headlamps reflected on a wall, and always the same result.

When the window reaches the top and stops, and the motor stalls, I would assume it would draw more low voltage current. In every other car, this dims the headlamps.

Using the ScanGauge, with two front windows in motion, headlamps on, I get 14.4 volts. When the two front windows stop, buttons still pressed, 14.3 volts and brighter headlamps.

This makes no sense, unless the headlamps are some how on an isolated circuit and I don't think this is the case... Puzzling....
Having had a problem with my power windows with my previous vehicle. I can tell you that there is circuit that detects when the window is all the way up. It shuts off the power to the motor whan a increase in current is detected or when the window is all the way up. That's why your lights get brighter and voltage increases. A power window motor will draw about 18-20A. The wiring diagram for a newer vehicle may not show this circuit as they went to the SJB, logic control.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wptski
Having had a problem with my power windows with my previous vehicle. I can tell you that there is circuit that detects when the window is all the way up. It shuts off the power to the motor whan a increase in current is detected or when the window is all the way up. That's why your lights get brighter and voltage increases. A power window motor will draw about 18-20A. The wiring diagram for a newer vehicle may not show this circuit as they went to the SJB, logic control.
Well, maybe not.

Some manufacturers use a high wattage thermistor in series with the window motor, the longer the current flows, heating the resistor/thermistor, the higher the resistance becomes.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by wwest
Well, maybe not.

Some manufacturers use a high wattage thermistor in series with the window motor, the longer the current flows, heating the resistor/thermistor, the higher the resistance becomes.
We are speaking of Ford here and that's what they did in the past.