Looking for 120vAC to 24vDC converter for HV battery heater

Old 10-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast
Default Looking for 120vAC to 24vDC converter for HV battery heater

Hi, I'm newly registered to the forum, but I've appreciated the information & discussions posted here since I bought a 2007 FEH with 104,000 miles back in June, 2013. The vehicle serves me well making deliveries for a catering company in the Chicago area and I am very happy with it.
Now to business.
Having experienced firsthand last winter that batteries do not like cold weather, I'm looking to acquire the 120vAC to 24vDC converter(P/N 10B689) that screws in below the windshield washer reservoir & connects to a wire(already there) that goes to a heater in the rear that warms the HV battery pack(so well explained in this thread:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ns-phev-15073/ ).
I acquired the engine block heater(P/N 6A051) & the wire assembly(6B018) from Ford last January and installed them on my Escape. But that elusive third piece is no longer available. I've tried Ford dealers, www.fordparts.com, and even eBay - nothing. I was wondering if anyone might know where else I can look or even if there is a forum user who might have one that he/she is willing to sell.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to contributing whatever I can to the collective knowledge on this forum.

Thanks, Larry

Old 10-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Feral Engineer
Default Re: Looking for 120vAC to 24vDC converter for HV battery heater

Is there any reason that you can't just use a 24 volt transformer / power supply? Maybe something like this:
Amazon Amazon

Old 10-13-2014, 10:07 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I've fired up my '07 in single digit weather within seconds of being parked outside overnight. The key was upgrading the 12V battery with an AGM (sealed). Even with a 'HV battery 'warmer', if your 12v is weak, you'll probably still have a hard time starting in cold.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:43 PM
Enthusiast

Tom and Don, thanks for your replies. I'm sorry I didn't make the issue clearer in my initial post. Last winter, I found that my FEH didn't go into EV mode at all below 20 degrees F outside temperature.
Back when my FEH was new, Ford offered an option, 41H, that consisted of 3 components: an engine block heater(6A051), the AC/DC converter for the rear HV battery warmer(10B689), and a wire harness(6B018) that plugs into a normal 120v AC outlet that provides power to the first 2 components. I've attached a diagram & a picture of these 3 components. The following 2 threads from a few years ago explain that installing this option can improve EV mode performance in cold winter climates:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ater-41h-6703/

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ns-phev-15073/

I have the 6A051 & 6B018 but am still looking for the 10B689, which is no longer available from Ford.
Tom, I might have to consider the possibility to attempt to rig something as a last resort, but I'm not an electronics expert and would prefer the 10B689 part that has the right connectors to enable me to "plug and play" if it's at all possible to still get it.
Tom, I also park my FEH outside, and it starts up no problem in sub-zero temps. But if I have a problem starting this winter, I'll take your advice into consideration. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Looking for 120vAC to 24vDC converter for HV battery heater-41h-diagram.jpg   Looking for 120vAC to 24vDC converter for HV battery heater-41h-components.jpg  
Old 10-13-2014, 01:48 PM
Enthusiast

Correction: Don, I also park my FEH outside, and it starts up no problem in sub-zero temps. But if I have a problem starting this winter, Ill take your advice into consideration. Thanks.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:26 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by D-mac
I've fired up my '07 in single digit weather within seconds of being parked outside overnight. The key was upgrading the 12V battery with an AGM (sealed). Even with a 'HV battery 'warmer', if your 12v is weak, you'll probably still have a hard time starting in cold.
Don. You are not understanding. The purpose of the traction battery warmer is to make the vehicle go into EV sooner. Since the traction battery spins the engine to start only a tiny amount of 12 volt power is needed to run the conputer and relays.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:28 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by lgbFEHuser
Tom, I might have to consider the possibility to attempt to rig something as a last resort, but I'm not an electronics expert and would prefer the 10B689 part that has the right connectors to enable me to "plug and play" if it's at all possible to still get it.
Yea, I get that. I just wanted to give you an alternative in case you failed to find the 110 to 24 volt converter.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:25 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

There are probably dozens of Ford dealers throughout the country that have online parts stores and big inventories. Some of them may have NOS of these parts and not sell them on Ebay. Or they may be able to run some other type of locate for your part. Good luck!

Old 11-08-2014, 04:54 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Larry, I’m a Certified Ford Technician and I am certified to work on Hybrids. I’m wondering why everyone keeps referring to 24v. Nothing on the FEH is 24v. I just bought a 2007 FEH and I live in a part of Alaska that gets down to -65f in the winter, so I am in the same boat as you. Let me be very direct in telling all FEH owners that in cold weather, the HVTB and ICE temperature before starting the vehicle MUST be kept warm, or fuel efficiency will suffer drastically while both use gas to warm themselves up. This is basic shop 101 stuff but I digress. Let me post what Ford says directly from their publications list (available only to us techs)

The AC/DC converter is an electrical device that converts AC voltage to DC voltage. Some vehicles may be equipped with a cold weather package which includes a 110 volt plug in the front of the vehicle. This plug is usually attached to a customer supplied cord and plugged into a 110 volt outlet. The 110 volts that is brought into the vehicle is directed through the AC/DC converter and converted from 110 volts AC to 12 volts DC. This 12 volts is then distributed to the vehicle engine block heater to warm the engine coolant and also to the HVTB internal heater which warms the HVTB .

The HVTB utilizes the following components:

12-volt battery
HVTB
Motor generator
DC/DC converter
Regenerative brakes
HVTB heater module

I will be installing a 5 way heat system that’s used on almost all vehicles this far north: Block heater, Transmission pad heater, Engine oil pan pad heater, and 2 simple automotive trickle chargers that is found at any auto parts store. This lowers the amount of time the vehicle is burning fuel to reach normal operating temp and SOC.
The trickle chargers are what you are calling a "converter" Yes it’s a converter, a 110vAC to 12vDC converter. One trickle charger will go to the 12v battery, and the other will go to the HVTB internal heater. Reason for two chargers instead of using one is that when the trickle charger sees that the 12 battery is charged, it automaticaly turns off. this isnt good when trying to keep the HVTB warm. Im sure you could find a charger that stays on 24/7 but in Alaska I've found that only a couple manufaturers make trickle chargers can survive up here for any length of time. Fords AC/DC converter im sure just provides constant 12v to both the 12v battery and the HVTB heater. Before I do this though, I need to dig around and find out how many amps Ford's AC/DC converter is putting out so i can pick a trickle charger with the same output.
I will let you know

Last edited by akfonzy; 11-08-2014 at 05:03 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm a bit late to this party, but for the first time in the almost nine years we've owned our 2006 FEH it's been parked outside for the winter. Lows this year have been in the negative double digits, which makes me long for a heater for the HV battery. Neither Ford nor the usual aftermarket sources have the HV battery component to the 41H option. I'd like to know if you found the current and voltage requirement for the HV battery heater module. Your idea of using a trickle charger is good, but other 110 to 12 volt converters are also available and may be more easily suited to permanent installation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for 120vAC to 24vDC converter for HV battery heater

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands