Malfunctioning Warning Indicators - 09 FEH

Old 12-12-2014, 11:55 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Malfunctioning Warning Indicators - 09 FEH

Symptoms: when started up, TPMS indicators and chime. Reset shuts off the chime but the indicator stays on. Then the "Parking Brake On" text and indicator show up, even though the parking brake is off. Door ajar indicator stays on, turn signals work but don't "click", no lights on radio and display above it, radio won't turn on.

Once while driving with it like this, a warning chime started and did not stop until the ignition was turned off.

Check Engine Light and "wrench" indicator are not involved.

Battery connections were tight, and the battery tested at 12V shut off and 15V while idling.

I have a Mobileye, and it is displaying blinking dashes. It does not respond to switching it on and off, nor does it respond to a reset.

During one drive today, everything except the Mobileye worked properly.

A mechanic found these codes:
U0164 Lost communication with hvac
U0140 Lost communication with BCM
B1696 Auto lamp circuit short

It drives fine.

Any ideas? Could it be corroded connections for the SJB?

Old 12-13-2014, 05:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Malfunctioning Warning Indicators - 09 FEH

You might want to get your battery tested. A fully charged 12v battery should read 12.5v or higher. These FEHs can be picky about their 12v batteries.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by us035976
You might want to get your battery tested. A fully charged 12v battery should read 12.5v or higher. These FEHs can be picky about their 12v batteries.
Thanks, Rich. Over the weekend I checked the battery for a date code. It doesn't have any, but it's a Ford Motorcraft battery. So probably it's the original, and is due to be replaced. A shop is doing a load test on it today, but it's hard to see how the battery could still be good enough to keep.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xspirit
Thanks, Rich. Over the weekend I checked the battery for a date code. It doesn't have any, but it's a Ford Motorcraft battery. So probably it's the original, and is due to be replaced. A shop is doing a load test on it today, but it's hard to see how the battery could still be good enough to keep.
I had mine replaced about a year ago. I found the date code stamped in to one of the top edges. Looked like mine was an original battery from 2004. Mine must have been one of the early 2005 builds. And I wasn't having any problems with it. Batteries last a lot longer when they don't have to do all the work of starting the car.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:30 PM

Testing showed that the battery, though not as healthy as a new one, was good enough that it shouldn't cause such problems. A new battery had no effect on the problems. Next task is to find out how to disable the Mobileye to eliminate it as a possible cause.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:44 PM

As I mentioned earlier, I had a Mobileye driver assistance device installed about 18 months ago. It has not worked since this problem started. Today I removed power from the device, and all the vehicle's systems were back to normal. Activated the Mobileye, and the problems were back. Removed power from it, and did a test drive with no problems. Seems pretty definite the Mobileye is to blame.

This also helps explain a symptom I've had for a long time. It's not the sort of thing you notice right away, but it may have started when the Mobileye was installed. When the turn signals are activated, there's both an audible "click" and a blinking indicator. The click and the blink should be synchronized. At random numbers of clicks, averaging about one out of six, the click and the blink have been out of synch. I'll try to remember to see if this happens while the Mobileye is disconnected. Customer support at Mobileye company has so far been helpful in resolving this.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:21 PM
Enthusiast

I had a junction control box go bad on an 06 around 11 don't remember exactly what it was called.. Ford blamed a low battery voltage for the problem. The low voltage caused the control box to break. 700 to replace.

Similar problems, Only the drivers door would unlock, I don't think the windows went down. I remember thinking that it was the strangest thing. I had to get the remotes reprogrammed after changing the box if that helps you narrow it down.

I said to the Ford guys that seems like a defective part - how do I avoid low voltage situations? A battery will go bad every few years.

I'll offer the same advice the wonderful people at ford offered me, good luck.

Last edited by scottsproblem; 12-20-2014 at 08:26 PM.