Master MP3/Wiring Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 10:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Master MP3/Wiring Thread

Does anyone have the wiring diagram (pinouts) for the Nav/Hybrid radio? I think mppkll mentioned having them but I'm not sure.

Old 07-13-2006, 08:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

Allen,
You are correct the PIE w/X3 will work for you. I have a brand new one that I purchased if you are interested. I went with a different PIE interface since I only use the Ipod. The X3 will also let you switch back to the CD changer if you still want to use it as well.

Send me an email hdbillp@comcast.net if you are interested.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've posted pinouts for the NAV radio in the "Share" section as well as the resister network needed to make a remote control for the radio (used for steering remote on other cars that have that).

WARNING: Use this info at your own risk if you connect something to somewhere that you shoudn't you could cause damage to your NAV radio or FEH.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Enthusiast

Hello all, This is just a FYI for anybody who is looking to use an ipod with their FEH. It took me a long time to find what to buy, so I figured I would help anybody who comes after me...

I just installed an ipod interface in a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid with Navigation System and it took a total of 5 minutes. I have been wanting to install a hard wired ipod interface since I purchased the car, but I have been confused about which interface to use.

I used a FRDW/PC-POD2 interface manufactured by PIE (can be found at www.pie.net). I think PIE only sells to authorized dealers but you can find distributors for these units searching on the web. This model plugs into the 6-disc changer cable located under the passenger seat and takes over the CD controls on the NAV system (you have to unplug the interface and plug the changer back in to use the CD changer). You can also just pull the Nav system CD to listen to an audio CD, but I specifically wanted my Nav system operational at all times.

PIE also sells a FRDW/PC-POD and I understand two other units that plug into the back of the radio.

I installed one of these (plug in behind the radio) interfaces into my 98 Ford Expedition and it was a holy pain in the neck to pull the radio, drill holes to route the wires, and make everything look nice for the wife! This took two days and a lot of cussing!

The one I purchased for the FEH was so easy to install, I didn't even have time to crack a beer! Basically, just unplug the changer connection (easily accessed from the back seat, and plug their cable into the FEH CD changer cable. The only other thing to do is figure out how to hide their cable.

USING THIS INTERFACE DISABLES THE 6-CD CHANGER! - But come to think of it, I have not used a CD since I got my IPod!

Note: The cable supplied by PIE is really long! ~15+' I guess. I asked them if they would sell me a shorter cable (I want a 4' cable) and they just said "We don't sell seperate cables"... so much for customer service.

The manual also does not even mention the FEH as a car that it will work with. The only reference to the FEH was in a pdf document on their web site.

The difference between the PC-POD and PC-POD2 interfaces
I looked and looked at the two products and never figured out the difference until I received the PC-POD2 interface for the Expedition. I thought that the -POD2 interface was just a newer model.. IT ISN'T!

The PC-POD interfaces takes over control of your IPOD. When plugged in, you can not used the ipod controls at all! The cool thing about these interfaces is that you can make up to 6 playlists (specially named on your ipod and they can be selected just like you would select the 6 disks in your changer). This is an ideal choice for somebody who want to hide their ipod and use it like a CD changer. The down side to this interface is you can not use the IPOD controls when it is plugged in!!! This sucks if you want to listen to songs that are not in the special play lists -or- if your spouse or kids want to listen to their stuff when riding in your car!

I purchased the PC-POD2 and was originally disappointed with not having the special play lists. However, after playing with it for awhile, I have decided I would not like the other version. I have a "cup holder" ipod mount in my cars and it is situated just perfectly in the FEH to be easy to read while I am driving.

Both interfaces automatically turn the ipod on and off when the CD player is selected (or the car is turned off). The PC-POD2 interface also allows you select the next song in the current playlist using the Navigation System CD next track keys and the fast forward and reverse keys move within the currently playing song. The CD audio compression control on the Navigation radio also works for the ipod which is great for high bitrate music that has a large dynamic range (classical for instance). In addition to these controls, all ipod controls also work as expected so I can change the playlist any time I want. If you set the ipod backlight to stay on, you have a nice lit display to tell you what song is playing... My wife asks me "What song is this?" at least once every time we ride together in the car.

In Summary, these two interfaces will work on the 2006 FEH with Navigation System and are easy to install. You lose the use of the 6-disc CD changer, but it does not affect the Navigation system at all.

Doug

Old 07-21-2006, 07:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yep, I have the 1st generation PD POD. Took me a little longer to install as I ran the Ipod connector wire into my console where my Ipod resides. I don't have the ability to used the Ipod with the 1st generation version.

BTW, I don't believe there is a PIE POD that plugs into the back of the Nav unit. The CD changer wiring harness that plugs into the back of the Nav head unit that you would need to remove to plug in the PIE interface also has wires that control the Mileage and Battery functions. If you unplug this wire you lose those functions.

You can also purchase a PIE X3 interface that includes a switch. This unit ties into your CD changer as well and lets you switch between different input devices. If you still want to use the CD changer as well as maybe a satellite radio then this device works well.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:27 AM
Enthusiast

re: " BTW, I don't believe there is a PIE POD that plugs into the back of the Nav unit."

Hi there,

I downloaded a PIE iPod-app pdf file revised 5/12/06 and it has 4 different entries for the Ford Escape Hybrid 2006:

FRDN-POD/S 20-Pin connector at haedunit (NON-NAVIGATION RADIO. RADIO MUST HAVE "SAT" BUTTON).

FRD03-POD/S 16 & 24 pin connector at H/U (NON-NAVIGATION RADIO. RADIO MUST HAVE "SAT" BUTTON).

FRDC/PC-POD(2) 12 pin connector at head unit (NAVIGATION RADIO ONLY)

FRDW/PC-POD(2) 12 pin data cable under passenger seat (NAVIGATION RADIO ONLY)

This is the only mention of the FEH that I could find in any of their docs...

The only one I tried was the FRDW/PC-POD2 which was easy to install. I assume when they say "at head unit" they are talking about behind the Navigation Radio -BUT- I really don't know exactly what they mean by "at head unit".

PIE sells only to authorized distributors and a few of these will just sell the unit over the internet. I found the FRDW/PC-POD2 for $129 on one site.

Oh yea... one more thing... Don't expect detailed instructions with these things. I think they expect these to be installed by pros so they don't get into much detail on how to install it.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

For those of you with the X3 interface installed, does the X3 retain the built-in fancy controls of the factory system like bass/treble/dsp sound fields/location-emphasis for the external input sources, be in iPod or Satellite?

Old 10-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Tim,
I just bought an 2007 FEHB last week, i opted not to get the nav system but the system with the 6 disk changer in it. I want to hook up my treo 650 to the stock radio, i also have an ipod somewhere around here but i don't use it that much because the treo does everything i need. I have an after market headunit in my jeep and it has the ability to use the aux input for any outside audio source, so that one was easy. Any ideas on what i can do with the FEHB?

Thanks Bill

Last edited by reneauone; 10-01-2006 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Enthusiast

Just bought a new 2007 MMH with the nav and cd changer. Does anyone out there know if the PIE FRDW/PC-POD2 will work with this stereo system? Has anyone got this working in their 2007 MMH? Thanks for the help.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by macarius
Just bought a new 2007 MMH with the nav and cd changer. Does anyone out there know if the PIE FRDW/PC-POD2 will work with this stereo system? Has anyone got this working in their 2007 MMH? Thanks for the help.

Your nav system is the same as the one in the 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid/Mariner Hybrid. Should work just fine. There's no redesign or change between the two model years in terms of the Nav system and CD changer.

Anything that works with the '06 MMH Nav+CD changer should work A-OK in an '07 MMH with same.

Quick Reply: Master MP3/Wiring Thread

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands