MMH/FEH Stabilty Control

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 05:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MMH/FEH Stabilty Control

Originally Posted by GNiel9
Aside from the impressive fuel economy savings, what do you perceive that the MMH offers that the Honda CRV does not?
better emissions.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GNiel9
I am in the final stages of deciding which car I am going to be purchasing. If so, how much, if any, weight did you give to that factor in making your purchase? Thank you.
Late last year, I realized my 10+ year old vehicle needed to be replaced. I had an interest in the Ford Escape Hybrid model and wondered why it did not offer electronic stability control. There was even a thread on this issue in March 2007. When I realized Toyota and Lexus designed their AWD Hybrid SUV's with a second electric motor (additional cost here) to power the rear wheels in an attempt to offer electronic stability, it told me no auto company had mastered the ability to combine regenerative braking with AWD electronic stability control.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Lightbulb Re: MMH/FEH Stability Control

[quote=GNiel9;151652]
Originally Posted by MyPart
If you are in the market for a small to medium size SUV and don't need to tow anything, I highly recommend the FEH/MMH. I've yet to see a competitor that matches up with all variables considered.[/quote]

I appreciate all the wonderful responses. I am curious about what you wrote above, specifically as it relates to the MMH and Hinda CRV. Aside from the impressive fuel economy savings, what do you perceive that the MMH offers that the Honda CRV does not?
While the MMH and CR-V are similar in many categories, here are the areas that I base my statement on:

Price:
CR-V 2WD EX-L Loaded - $30,693
MMH 2WD Loaded - $32,190*
* then take $3000 off for the Fed Tax Credit, any state/local credits ($600 in my state), any insurance premium credits (10% for Travelers Ins. across my entire policy for three vehicles), fewer oil and brake pad changes, and less trips/time at the gas station. For me the MMH is already a price winner before I add in the gas savings.

Performance:
This one is a bit tricky because there is no direct comparison that I've seen where the MMH HP and, more importantly, torque numbers that include both the electric and gas engine. I was able to find some old (2007?) numbers on Edmunds. All sites report V-6 like performance from the MMH drivetrain due to the 100% torque availability characteristic of the electric engine.

CR-V - 0-60: 9.8sec
1/4 mile: 17.5sec@78.6mpg
MMH - 0-60: 9.5sec
1/4 mile: 17.4sec@83mph

Environmental:
CR-V ULEV-2
MMH - AT-PZEV (plus carbon offset program on build process and less gas used, recycling plan in place for old batteries)

Warranty:
CR-V: 3yr/36,000 BTB, 5/60,000 Drive train, No roadside mentioned on website
MMH: 3yr/36,000 BTB, 5/60,000 Std. Drive train, 8/100,000** Hybrid components (includes battery, transmission, DC/DC converter) , 5yr/60,000 Roadside **10/150,000 for CA emissions states

Towing:
MMH - 1000lbs
CR-V - 1500lbs (note my original disclaimer about towing)

There are a few lesser points that I could make but the price, warranty and green performance advantages of the MMH/FEM make it very hard to beat in it's class. I hope this helps in your comparison.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:10 AM
Enthusiast

I wish it had stability control too. But I wanted a 4wheel drive and I never even considered another Honda,since I had such a terrible experience with my local Honda dealership. I did consider the Toyota Highlander Hybrid because it has stability control but the mpg isn't as good as the FEH.It's also ten thousand dollars more in price.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have put 2000 miles on my 2008 MMH. It handles very well. Driving sensible and slowing down for turns is all you have to do.

I had a full size truck before, heck I can turn corners twice as fast now.