my 2008 ford escape hybrid is not working right

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 08:48 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation my 2008 ford escape hybrid is not working right

hi,
i have a 2008 ford escape hybrid with 100 000 km on it.
i bought it used about 2 months ago.
about 2 weeks ago i took it to the dealership where they programmed a key which i bought from amazon, and also informed about a recall about some software component on the electric steering which they said they fixed. i then went to my house and programmed a key-less entry fob on my own which i ordered from eBay.
a couple days after that, when the car is off i can hear a pumping or very loud humming noise every 3-5 minitues.
sometimes it doesn't do this but sometimes it does.
this use to only happen once when i entered the car and once when i left.
in the manual it says this is the system pressurizing and depressurizing the regenerative braking system, and is only supposed to happen once, when i leave and exit.
i took it to the dealership where they couldn't find any codes or problems in the system and they charged me 130 bucks to do that.
i myself can't seem to isolate when this happens either. I checked the low voltage battery and the voltage is fine.
anyone have this problem?
what should i do?
thank you guys so much

Old 05-07-2015, 02:09 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: my 2008 ford escape hybrid is not working right

Sounds like you are covered, if the car drives fine and the Ford dealer says its good. Maybe it's time to crank up the radio and enjoy the ride!

Old 05-07-2015, 07:25 PM
Enthusiast

i wish i could do that.
i really blew my budget in buying this car so i am really worried.
the pump is activating about 120 times a night (did some math) and since every thing has a life it is only a matter of time before it gives out and costs me a small fortune to fix.
also this happens when the car is off not on so i can't turn on the radio

Old 05-07-2015, 08:09 PM

Well, if it helps there are Escape hybrid taxis that stood durability tests of 200,000+ miles in extreme daily use in big cities like NY and San Francisco. Pretty sure they were making all kinds of random pumping and buzzing sounds the whole time too, but they still rack up plenty of miles on their original parts.
If you still think your Escape is about to abandon you on the side of the road or electrocute you even though it drives just fine, might as well go get a different car that doesn't drive you nuts. Life is short!

Old 06-08-2015, 05:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Move your keyless entry fobs far away ( like a city block ) and see if it still happens. If so, that's the problem.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by lolder
Move your keyless entry fobs far away ( like a city block ) and see if it still happens. If so, that's the problem.
Good idea, but it might be easier to put them in a microwave oven or refrigerator instead.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:43 PM
Enthusiast

the problem just seemed to stop on it's on after a while so no need

Old 06-10-2015, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by vafa
the problem just seemed to stop on it's on after a while so no need
It's great when cars fix themselves. The ongoing pumping noise was not normal.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast

A common problem on this, and some ford trucks, is that the switch on one of the doors becomes faulty. When this happens the system thinks the door is open (or opening and closing) which causes the brake system to charge. If the problem comes back, check to see if the dome light is on, or if you have a "door ajar" message on the dash. To fix the problem, one has to figure out which door it is, and replace the switch (not cheap!); or what I did was bypass the switch so the car thinks that door is closed all the time.