Nav System: Cross CD Trip?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 12:58 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Nav System: Cross CD Trip?

Probably sometime next month, I'm going to be making a drive from Michigan to Toronto. This of course, will require a change of Nav CDs for the trip, and I'm curious if anyone here has made a trip in which they had to change CDs during the trip, how it worked, and what they did, and what the general experience was.

So, anyone do this, or will I be a pioneer again?

Old 11-01-2005, 09:30 AM
reformed speed demon
Default Re: Nav System: Cross CD Trip?

if you live in SE michigan you shouldn't need maps to get to toronto! you just cross the bridge, and keep driving east on the big road. after you pass wayne gretzky's barn in brantford, you're there...hehe

Old 11-01-2005, 10:13 AM
Ronin

You may not be able to route across disks... I suspect that when you eject a nav disk you may lose the destination info... I will give it a try and see what happens. Good question.

Old 11-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by nimhbug
if you live in SE michigan you shouldn't need maps to get to toronto! you just cross the bridge, and keep driving east on the big road. after you pass wayne gretzky's barn in brantford, you're there...hehe

LOL, I know how to get to Toronto, I just wonder about using the Nav system when making a trip that covers area on 2 different CD's.

And I go via Port Huron, since I'm North of Mount Clemons.

Old 11-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Sounds pretty combersome. I'm surprised they have the data on CD and not on DVD or even internal memory with a port or a card slot for upgrades.

Hopefully future generations will have a better means of storing the data to eliminate the need for having CD's laying around the car.

Old 11-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Struggler at large

Well, I'm driving from Central Massachusetts to Phoenix Arizona in a couple weeks. I will certainly be able to answer this question after then!

Old 11-03-2005, 02:42 PM
Ronin

I tried to route a trip to Toronto, so I inserted the disk for Canada and selected the location in Toronto. When the route was calculated I see my current location mapped in lower resolution than normal.. but all the major freeways are shown (M-59 in my case) and the route starts from my house and goes all the way to Toronto!.. the resolution changes back to 'normal' when I pan and zoom into areas in Canada which are on the new disk. It may be that all the disks have the major freeway systems on them but only have secondary roads and other data for the local disk. That would make a reasonable nav system without needing disk changes unless you want more detail for the current area.
Just my observation, hope this helps...

Old 11-04-2005, 11:39 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by Raven
I tried to route a trip to Toronto, so I inserted the disk for Canada and selected the location in Toronto. When the route was calculated I see my current location mapped in lower resolution than normal.. but all the major freeways are shown (M-59 in my case) and the route starts from my house and goes all the way to Toronto!.. the resolution changes back to 'normal' when I pan and zoom into areas in Canada which are on the new disk. It may be that all the disks have the major freeway systems on them but only have secondary roads and other data for the local disk. That would make a reasonable nav system without needing disk changes unless you want more detail for the current area.
Just my observation, hope this helps...

Ah, thanks!

Old 11-04-2005, 01:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've done this from Michigan to Ohio. I put the Ohio disk in and selected my destination. then put the Michigan disk back in and told it to route (when you eject the disk you get a disk change screen that look kinda like the recycle logo with a CD in the middle). When you cross the border from one disk to another you will still see the major highways, but you will loose street level detail on the map, thats you queue to eject the first disk and insert the next one. I have done this spanning two disks but not more then two so I not sure what will happen with three.

Old 11-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Enthusiast

I've driven Philly to Seattle. With the Philly disc in, I input my address in Seattle. The NAV knew the correct routing and mileage. As others said, I could tell when it was time to switch discs when I only saw highway resolution. I think that each disc may have data for large highways and almost every city, so you can input navigation locations that are outside of your current disc.

I do wish that there was a signal on the NAV unit that indicated that you were out of the current disc's scope, because I wouldn't realize for as long as an hour that I was due for a new disc (much of the middle of the country didn't have anything but major roads anyway).

Good luck.