New 2005 FEH Owner with 3 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 07:58 AM
Enthusiast
Default New 2005 FEH Owner with 3 Questions

I bought a used 2005 FEH with around 93,000 miles about 4 months ago. It has the A/N system (took me awhile to figure out where the other cd player was!) and has 4WD. I got a car mechanic buddy to inspect the car before I bought it and he said everything looked great. Payed around $5,000 for the car, which I considered to be a good deal. I really like the vehicle!

So far, I'm averaging about 31 MPG, and I'll be sure to list my car in the MPG database.

I do have three questions:
1) My car started springing up code P0128 about two weeks ago, which according to my code reader, means that the thermostat is stuck in the open position. However, I have not noticed any problems with the fuel efficiency, which would be my confirming sign that the thermostat is indeed stuck open. Has anyone had this problem before?

2) My wife and I just moved up to Ohio from Virginia (Virginia Beach area). I've read on this forum that a concern with the older FEHs is rust. Obviously with our new location the winter will have a much bigger impact on the car than back in Virginia. Any tips on how to maintain the underside of the car? Are there any preventative things you can do?

3) I've also read here that getting a ScanGauge is very practical with the FEH. I'm suspecting I'll get one at the end of this month, but do want to know if there is any basic information I ought to know when using it? I looked around for a thread for how to use the ScanGauge but didn't see one.

Thanks for reading! If you have any other tips for me, please let me know!

Old 09-15-2016, 05:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New 2005 FEH Owner with 3 Questions

I can only help a little on 3)

I have a ScanGauge (SGII); I'm pretty sure there's some good threads in here on it, the settings, and what most of the info means.
On a budget you should be able to get most of the same info, a little more and a little less, with a OBDii reader & the Torque Pro app for you phone. Here's some instructions on setting that up, and a way to import all the FEH settings
http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/in...ads%2F50474%2F

There's a SG thred in the pineed topics at top.

I tried to make a spreadsheet at one time of all the codes, what's 'normal' but never got far.

as far as 1) goes, over on facebook, someone else just posted that code, & they changed the thermostat out.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/93606971242/

Old 09-16-2016, 04:35 AM
Enthusiast

Congrats on your new FEH. Find a car wash place that has a good under side wash. Getting the salts washed away is what's most important. As far as rust that's already there if it's small areas you can do your self I use a product called Extend Rust Treatment.

Be sure and look at the 12 volt battery. If it's a few years old you might want to replace it. As you know it's not used to start the motor but if if it's starting to fail it can cause a no start. It can cause other problems also.

Make sure the AC system is in top working order. As I'm sure you have read how important a properly working AC system is to our hybrids.

Keep all those filters clean!

Old 09-16-2016, 10:37 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
I can only help a little on 3)

I have a ScanGauge (SGII); I'm pretty sure there's some good threads in here on it, the settings, and what most of the info means.
On a budget you should be able to get most of the same info, a little more and a little less, with a OBDii reader & the Torque Pro app for you phone. Here's some instructions on setting that up, and a way to import all the FEH settings
http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/in...ads%2F50474%2F

as far as 1) goes, over on facebook, someone else just posted that code, & they changed the thermostat out.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/93606971242/
I might just do the OBDii reader and the Torque Pro app then. I already have an OBDii code reader so all I have to do is get that app! Thanks for that link as well.

Ugh, just what I thought I might have to do. Well, looks like I'll be replacing the thermostat this weekend or the next one. Looks like I can replace the belt at the same time so that'll be the plan. Thanks!

Old 09-16-2016, 10:47 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slate
Congrats on your new FEH. Find a car wash place that has a good under side wash. Getting the salts washed away is what's most important. As far as rust that's already there if it's small areas you can do your self I use a product called Extend Rust Treatment.

Be sure and look at the 12 volt battery. If it's a few years old you might want to replace it. As you know it's not used to start the motor but if if it's starting to fail it can cause a no start. It can cause other problems also.

Make sure the AC system is in top working order. As I'm sure you have read how important a properly working AC system is to our hybrids.

Keep all those filters clean!
I'll keep a look out for that Extend Rust Treatment. We'll keep a look out for a good car wash also - hopefully up here in Ohio they are common!

The 12V Battery is about 2.5 years old. My goal is to get it replaced before November, and the really cold weather starts arriving.

A/C system seems to be in good shape. That's actually my main concern with the winter: having the A/C pipes get rust on them.

Planning on replacing all the filters when I replace the thermostat. Thanks for the advice!