New 2012 Ford Escape, But Will There Be a Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Imported from Detroit
Default New 2012 Ford Escape, But Will There Be a Hybrid?

http://www.greencarreports.com/blog/...re-be-a-hybrid

Old 03-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New 2012 Ford Escape, But Will There Be a Hybrid?

That's pretty old (October).

Here's more information: http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...ord-escape.htm

I suspect I'll be thinking about new again in '12 or '13. Heck I'm already thinking about it, but need to pay off one first.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This is the PHEV Ford Escape Hybrid
Name:  phevescapehybrid.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  82.8 KB
The first one was built at the Dearborne Headaquarters in September 2007. There are currently 22 of these known in the real world undergoing daily testing with various utility companies. This is to arrive in 2012 as a 2013 model. The body panels can change. What is unknown is whether an EcoBoost engine or the current 2.5L engine will be featured. I would bet a 2.0L EcoBoost engine that is known to produce 203 HP in "stock" form. Johnson Controls Saft is remodeling a factory in Holland, Michigan to produce lithium-ion battery packs and have signed an agreement to supply a minimum of 5000 a year beginning in 2012. Mary Ann Wright of Johson Controls Saft (ex-Ford Escape Hybrid management) and Nancy Giola of Ford both were present at this Media event in Holland, Michigan 2009.

Last edited by Billyk; 03-02-2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: More information
Old 03-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Imported from Detroit

Where's Dearborne Headaquarters, near Detroite? I know that Ford's Headquarters are in Dearborn, MI.

Last edited by wptski; 03-03-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:34 AM
Red

So, we can expect "something" new in 2013- possibly plug-in. But we are still wondering if the current hybrid system carries over in 2012?????

I am glad JCI is getting into the lithium-ion battery pack business. They have always been very innovative.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:15 PM

More on the C-Max.... Ford European hybrid C-Max to be built in Spain

"Our Valencia Plant here in Spain will build these new C-Max five-seat hybrid models exclusively for European customers seeking a practical, efficient and affordable environmental vehicle."

Old 11-04-2010, 02:17 PM

The C-Max is in the news again: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39970830/ns/business-autos/

Old 11-07-2010, 01:42 PM

Here's more pictures (and wallpapers) and specs if you're interested:

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z...-Max.aspx.aspx

Old 11-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Seeing this thread reminded me i got a chance to look at the new escape. I know i want one! 2012 here i come!

Old 01-10-2011, 03:33 PM

More on the C-Max... this from HybridCarBlog.com

Ford’s C-Max hybrid and C-Max Energi Plug-in hybrid

When it comes to the next few decades of the auto industry, one thing is quite clear. No one powertrain is going to dominate the auto industry, especially in terms of the ICE alternative space, and Ford seems to clearly understand this reality.

Consequently, Ford’s new C-Max hybrid and C-Max Energi Plug-in hybrid help fill in the missing pieces of Ford’s battery powered playbook.

Not long ago Ford announced that the Focus would soon come in gas, hybrid, plug-in hybrid and electric versions, but many details were still limited. Nonetheless, these Focus powertrain options indicate that diversity will be the key to Ford’s battery-powered game. And aside from giving consumers choices, such diversity Ford believes, will also be the key to profitability.

Ultimately, the success of Ford’s conventional gasoline-powered Focus will help Ford’s battery-powered Focus vehicles also achieve profitability, and the same holds true for the 2013 C-Max hybrids which will hit dealerships in 2012. Basically, world platforms coupled with powertrain diversity define Ford’s future.

Nonetheless, there will still be some variety amongst some of these platforms. For instance, while the gasoline powered C-Max will be a three-rowed, seven passenger vehicle, the C-Max hybrids will be smaller, two-rowed 5 passenger vehicles. However, considering all options will be built on the same platform and production lines, future options seem on the table.

But let’s get back to the hybrids.

Both new hybrids will utilize new lithium-ion battery packs. In the C-Max the new battery coupled with some reworked Fusion hybrid technology will result in a hybrid package that will offer greater fuel economy than the Fusion hybrid’s 41/36 mpg, city/highway fuel economy. Likewise, the new battery pack will also enable the C-Max hybrid to stay in EV mode at higher speeds than the Fusion hybrid as well.

Will the C-Max hybrid challenge Toyota Prius fuel economy? I sure hope so, but we’ll have to wait for final numbers. Of course, by 2013 the Prius will also reportedly shift to lithium as well. So Prius fuel economy could increase. How’s that for some hybrid competition?

On the other hand, the C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid – Ford’s first production plug-in hybrid – will also use a lithium-ion battery pack that could possibly decrease charging times compared to other plug-in vehicles now hitting dealerships, although Ford is providing scant details thus far. Regardless, the C-Max Energi appears to be a conventional plug-in hybrid, not a range extended hybrid like the Chevy Volt. Additionally, thanks to a combination of Focus EV and Fusion hybrid technologies, the Ford C-Max Energi is expected to offer about 500 miles of total range – EV and gas combined – or 150 miles more than the Volt.

Like the Volt, however, the C-Max Energi will start off using just electric power, but as the battery pack depletes, the Energi plug-in hybrid will begin to act more like a Fusion hybrid – similar to the way a plug-in Prius acts like a Prius once EV range is depleted. Unfortunately, Ford has not released any details regarding EV range, but comments by Alan Mulally seem to suggest the battery pack will offer similar EV range as the Volt.

Inside, the C-Max hybrids will use roughly the same instrument cluster as the Fusion hybrid, including MyFord Touch with MyView, Brake Coach and the all the latest MyFord Mobile smart phone applications.

Ultimately, pretty interesting battery revelations from Ford. World platforms as the key to scaling the higher costs of hybrid and plug-in technologies.

Quick Reply: New 2012 Ford Escape, But Will There Be a Hybrid?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands