New and looking for tips...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 09:54 AM
Easy Being Green
Default New and looking for tips...

Hi All- I am new here and also new to my 2007 Escape 4wd hybrid. Have about 2200 miles on it and am averaging 28.7 mpg with about 50/50 highway/around town driving.

Any tips to increase my mpg would be greatly appreciated.
So far, I try to coast when possile, not use red controls (window defogger) when possible. What else is there?

thanks! June

Old 03-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Easy Being Green
Default Re: New and looking for tips...

Alos, We have the leather package with heated seats. Alot of the time, when someone gets into the passenger seat, the heated seat automatically turns itself on. Took it to the dealer and after insepcting it, they said that the lether on the side of the seat sort of "folds" when you sit on it and pushes the button down. They said it is a 'design flaw' and only way to avoid it is to sit carefully...
Anyone else have this problem? Any other ways to prevent it from happening? thanks! June

Old 03-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Junebug
Alos, We have the leather package with heated seats. Alot of the time, when someone gets into the passenger seat, the heated seat automatically turns itself on. Took it to the dealer and after insepcting it, they said that the lether on the side of the seat sort of "folds" when you sit on it and pushes the button down. They said it is a 'design flaw' and only way to avoid it is to sit carefully...
Anyone else have this problem? Any other ways to prevent it from happening? thanks! June
Design flaw indeed....

Thats been a long standing complaint of mine. For what its worth, I've read that they moved the switch to the console for 2008...

Often after dropping someone off, I feel the seat and have to pull over because it got switched on and I can't reach it while driving! It is also an issue when someone turned it on in winter and forgot to shut it off. Since I cannot see the the on/off light (no one can without peeling the seat over), I don't know if it was on or not.

Other than that, I love the FEH. To get well above 30MPH, you have to start using techniques that are discussed a lot on this board. Some are simple like using the "L" gear to encourage more regenerative braking and ICE (internal combuation engine) shutdown while driving in stop and go traffic, to more extreme techniques that are not for the faint of heart (or for the safety minded, if you look at some recent posts). These are a constant topic for discussion (sometimes "enthusiastic" discussion). Feel free to have a look around and use your common sense to figure out which ones work for you.

Cheers,

rcomeau

Old 03-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That stupid seat setup is really annoying, some of the Explorers are that way also.

As soon as it warms up a little here(I woke to about 8" of snow this morning), I am going to install LED's in the dash that will light up whenever either heated seat is turned on.

~John

Old 03-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmorton10
That stupid seat setup is really annoying, some of the Explorers are that way also.

As soon as it warms up a little here(I woke to about 8" of snow this morning), I am going to install LED's in the dash that will light up whenever either heated seat is turned on.

~John
Sounds like a good idea. I can have a look, but if you already have, what are the chances of actually relocating the switch? I'm sure there is room on the console for a couple of switches. Does the current for the seat actualy go through the switch, or is it an input to a relay or something?

Roch

Old 03-18-2007, 02:05 PM

Hi June

There are so many tips to improve your mileage, so I suggest you start with the FAQ Pravus Prime put together here at https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ead.php?t=6662.
In addition, you can check out an article I put together a year or so ago at http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350

If your not using the red controls where you are located now (its been cold), this means your very serious about improving your mileage. There are some very safe basic tips you can improve MPG with, and there are some advanced techniques you can use that many on this board consider down right dangerous. You will have to decide what you want to consider and by all means, don’t do anything you feel is dangerous.

I use a compromise of the techniques I developed or learned for safety and acceptable mileage. There is so much to take advantage of for increasing MPG, but you need the gauges to monitor what works immediately, not at the end of a tank. Many of us have the Scangauge 11 which plugs in under you dash. Scangauge is now making a $20.00 discount to GH members till the end of this month: See https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=12594

Here is what it looks like in my vehicle

There is a lot to learn and you can take short cuts we have learned in the past 2 years with some research and further questions.

GaryG

Old 03-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Also, as you put more miles on your vehicle you will notice the performance improves....call it break-in or the computer learning how the vehicle operates....either way most owners see it around 3,000 miles, 5,000 miles, and even more. Plus you get "better" at the various techniques.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:08 AM
Easy Being Green

Thanks everybody! I will definitely check out the articles. I guess I have been using some of the strategies intuitively already- but can always improve. I find that my husband and I drive it very differently from one another- I hope that does not affect the 'break-in period'.

It is really cold here in Mass and we had a snow storm on Friday, which did not help my MPG . But, it is supposed to warm up this week- so, hoping it will improve.

As for the heated seat issue- my dealer did offer to unhook it for the spring/summer and then hook it back up in the fall, which I may have them do. I am glad that they changed the location of the switch on the '08.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:29 AM
Easy Being Green

I also have one more question...if you don't mind.
We traded in our '05 Kia Sportage for the FEH. I find that with the Escape, it is so much noisier with the sunroof open compared to the Sportage. It is almost annoyingly loud with the roof open. Is there any way to make it quieter? As I ask this, please keep in mind that I do not know much if anything about how cars work- the most I can do is change a flat tire. So, it would need to be a really easy fix.

thanks again! June

Old 03-19-2007, 07:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

You could install a sunroof air deflector. These are supposed to flow air over. I have never used one personally and the last several vehicles have had sunroofs. I just turn up the stereo.

Quick Reply: New and looking for tips...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands