No To Ford Escape Premiums!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 11:39 AM
Enthusiast
Default No To Ford Escape Premiums!

In an earlier post, I had indicated that I was considering a FEH. Yesterday I visited the local Ford dealership and was informed that there was a $2000 "hybrid" charge on top of the MSRP. I just refuse to pay this and I will now look elsewhere to satisfy my purchase of a more environmentally benign car. The following is my feedback to Ford online:

"I have an unrealistic hope that Mr. Ford would eventually see this comment, because I feel fairly confident that my opinion might be shared by others. A good chairman cares about what customers are thinking.

I presently have a 1997 Explorer and a 2001 Sport Trac and am in the process of replacing the Explorer. I had decided to emphasize the environmental side of this purchase decision and was well aware of Mr. Ford's leadership on this issue. After 2 months of study, I had decided that the Escape Hybrid best fit all of my criteria. Knowing the demand/supply balance of these vehicles, I was fully prepared to pay the full MSRP for it. However, the local dealer in Rutland, VT is tacking on an additional 2000 dollar hybrid premium to the car. I understand that is his right, but I think it is price gouging and I refuse to do any further business with Ford. I also think it is counterproductive to the Ford company and its future business viability.

I do have alternatives, namely the Toyota Prius for which there is not a sticker add-on. My other alternative is the Subaru Outback 2.5i, which in Vermont is certified as a PZEV automobile and has acceptable gas consumption.

I thank-you for making available a process for feedback and I hope some Ford internal discussions might be generated. As other competitors enter the field, Ford can very easily lose whatever advantage it has gained with the Escape Hybrid."

Last edited by dohearne; 06-15-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:49 AM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: No To Ford Escape Premiums!

Originally Posted by dohearne
In an earlier post, I had indicated that I was considering a FEH. Yesterday I visited the local Ford dealership and was informed that there was a $2000 "hybrid" charge on top of the MSRP. I just refuse to pay this and I will now look elsewhere to satisfy my purchase of a more environmentally benign car.
Hey don't give up. You can travel three hours west to a town near Rochester NY and get the FEH AT INVOICE! Call Jeff Clark at Van Bortel Ford in Victor, NY and he'll order a nice '06 for you. And remember, any Ford dealer anywhere in the US and Canada that has certified FEH technicians can service the truck. So if u bring it home to VT, no problem. FYI his dealer's sister company is a Subaru dealer.

Last edited by Jason; 06-15-2005 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: No To Ford Escape Premiums!

I like the way you handled this situation, hopefully someone with some power will pay attention to your response.

Have you considered finding another dealer? May have to travel a little bit, but maybe you could get the FEH at a price that is acceptable.
Or use Ford's online vehicle search?
It's a shame that you would miss out because of one poor dealership.

Regards,

Old 06-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Enthusiast

David,

If I were you, I would really consider visiting other Ford dealerships. FEH is an outstanding truck and being that you own two Fords already, I am sure you had at least an decent relationship and/or emotional attachment to the brand, and probably have a need for the 4WD funciton of the truck. Don't let one sour apple spoil the whole basket.
Dealers have the right of charging whatever price as long as long as they can still move the inventory. MSRP is just what it is, Suggested. I live in DC and there are about 13 Ford dealerships within 1 hour drive, sure enought, several of them wanted a similar mark-up (one wanted $3500 on top of the MSRP), I was able to buy mine for the sticker price after calling around. It might take some effort, but don't give up on the FEH because of it. Share your response with us from Ford if do receive one.

Good luck hunting.

Last edited by Hawflake; 06-15-2005 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I know at least 2 people who have pruchased this truck with no premium. Shop around !!

Old 06-15-2005, 04:21 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies. Let me respond to several points raised. First, I live in Vermont and shopping around is not quite so easily done. I am not so set on having a FEH over other vehicles that I am willing to drive 2-3 hours trying to locate a dealer who is selling the FEH close to the MSRP. With regard to MSRP, I understand that it is a suggested price and one that I would argue has a reasonable gross profit margin for the dealer built in. Currently the FEH, equipped as I would want it, has a MSRP of $29,735 and a dealer invoice less holdback of $26,773 (source:Consumer Reports) for a margin of 11% to the dealer. An extra $2000 moves the margin to 20%. Considering that a car would be ordered and the dealer doesn't have his capital tied up, I think the 11% margin is plenty. Plus the dealer carries the Ford name and I would suggest that the MSRP is a more serious number in the car world than branded products at the local Big Box. Finally, I was being somewhat loyal to Ford and to the dealership because my cars are serviced there and one of them was purchased there (under a previous owner). But I think I am owed some loyality also...and I am the customer and don't appreciate being gouged just because Ford only has 2 products in real demand currently - FEH and the Mustang.

Old 06-15-2005, 04:40 PM

Well, in that case you are kinda stuck. If that's the Ford dealer's policy on the FEH, I doubt they will bend for you. I guess you could attempt a meeting with the General Manager of the dealership and tell him what you just told us, that you feel some loyalty is due back to you too. All he can do is say no, and he MIGHT say YES.....

Old 06-15-2005, 05:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

You might want to try going through forddirect.com. Contact the same dealer through their internet sales department, and get a quote.

I did this before ever stepping into the dealership and they quoted me MSRP. When I went in, and told them I wanted it (without mentioning the quote), they tried to add a $2000 premium. Then I mentioned the quote and they said 'no problem' and sold it to me at MSRP.

Old 06-15-2005, 06:07 PM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I purchased by FEH over the internet. I knew the price ahead of time, I just picked it up. I test drove it at another dealer. When that dealer started to go above MSRP, I said, I can get it at $X. He matched it.

You don't have to go 3 hours to shop, just to purchase.

You've seen the vehicle, you can see the price.

After you get it, iIf it's not working the way you want, you can have the dealer that tried to surcharge you do all the warranty work.

::Throws a 2p coin on the floor.::

Old 06-15-2005, 06:44 PM

A tried and true approach that I and others used to buy a Prius at MSRP during the height of the shortage was to email/call rural dealers. I bought mine in 24 hours, when the city dealer was quoting 9 months.

btw, why 4WD ? If it is only snow, slush and ice, the VSC equipped Prius with good winter tires like the MIchelin HydroEdge perform wonderfully. Steep hills would make me hesitate.

Quick Reply: No To Ford Escape Premiums!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands