No Low Washer Fluid Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default No Low Washer Fluid Warning Light

I just found out there is no low wind shield washer fluid warning light on Escape Hybrid.

I drove a Toyota Echo before and when there is 10-20% washer fluid left, a warning light appears on dash board...

Do you think it would be useful?

Old 03-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: No Low Washer Fluid Warning Light

Originally Posted by Sphinx88
I just found out there is no low wind shield washer fluid warning light on Escape Hybrid.

I drove a Toyota Echo before and when there is 10-20% washer fluid left, a warning light appears on dash board...

I've never had a car with one.... The thing runs out and I just stop at a service station. If you lived somewhere remote that might be failry nasty but in the area I'm near I don't miss it much.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well I just fill it when I wash the SUV. So it's mostly just toping off for me. And I don't use it often.

Last edited by way2muchkc4u; 03-16-2009 at 07:27 PM. Reason: edited to sound more manly!
Old 03-18-2009, 11:34 AM
hybrid n00b

I've often wondered that. The car designers must live in a temperate climate!

Have they EVER driven on a slushy highway? Or how about following a car that kicks up enough dirty water that you need to use the windshield washer every 10 seconds?

There should also be warning lights for taillights out as well! Many times I've seen people drive with only one brake light.. or NONE!

Old 03-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sphinx88

I think it would be MORE useful if the manufacturer's didn't water down the washer fluid with water. My Prius' washer fluid froze into slush when the temps outside dipped into the high teens!!!! Most common fluid is good to about 20 below. My FEH's never had that problem.

Fortunately Prestone makes a washer fluid additive that drops the freezing point. I had to buy a bottle, put my car in the garage and run a portable heater blowing under the hood for a few hours to melt the washer fluid, add antifreeze, stir, then run the washer pumps for a minute on the front & back to make sure all the diluted fluid was pump out of the lines.

I'm not sure if the fluid was added at the factory or if it's the dealer's job to fill the washer reservoir -- but I was NOT impressed to find that a car they built and shipped for sale in a state that routinely gets sub-zero temps in the winter had washer fluid that froze at around 18 degrees and they didn't tell me they were watering it down.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Enthusiast

I am wondering what year your FEH is? My '07 has a warning in the message center if brake or running lights are inoperative. I know because it alerted me with a long beep and a message. Replaced my brake lamp and it was fine.

I agree a washer fluid warning would be a great feature, but I check my fluid level weekly, so I'm usually topping it up then. Especially during rainy weather, I'll check it more often when I park for the night (I do have the good fortune of a covered garage).

Old 03-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

I find it funny that the VHR on the syncmyride.com says is watches the vehicles fluid levels. It even list the wash fluid as one of the fulids it "watches".... hummmm?

Old 03-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

My 1987 Mazda 323LX had that light, as did my Golf after that. As a person who drives in winter conditions with salted highways for up to 1/3 of the year, I consider it on my MEL (minimum equipment list). It is a glaring omission on my 06 FEH. Have they finally added it it recent models? I was shocked when I realized it was not there, I mean, why bother with a Nav display or an oil change meter if you are going to omit this kind of basic stuff. Love my FEH otherwise...