Oil Filters: Fram vs. Motorcraft

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Enthusiast
Default Oil Filters: Fram vs. Motorcraft

I have a 2009 FEH. Upon the first oil change, I used the appropriate Fram oil filter, and I didn't look at the spent factory oil filter. As you know, inside the oil canister, there is a plastic cylindrical baffle that the oil filter element fits over. I assume that the baffle distributes the oil flow, so that the element is used uniformly.

I recently purchased the appropriate Motorcraft oil filter, and noticed that on the inside cylinder of the filter element, there is a similar baffle, which cannot be removed. Additionally, this filter with baffle fits over the baffle on the oil canister. Double baffling.

So, does this mean that I should only use the Motorcraft filters? Thanks.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil Filters: Fram vs. Motorcraft

I think the baffle has less to do with distribution of oil and more to do with maintaining the shape of the filter.

That said, I've not been happy with the Fram filter. I suppose the filter itself is ok, but the larger o-ring that is supplied leaked . . . twice, two different filters. So, I've been using an STP filter form Autozone. Works like a champ.

Major gripe here: Why the *choice expletive* are these filters MORE expensive than the fully enclosed spin-on filters?! Freakin' highway robbery.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:51 AM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

More expensive? Low volume means that the fixed cost have to be allocated to fewer units (tooling, set-uo, etc.)

Old 08-10-2009, 07:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

That's really a cop out. This same filter is used in several Ford vehicles so there is plenty of market. I understand recouping tooling costs, but for this filter what they charge is ridiculous. There's almost nothing to this filter and not one gram of metal.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:30 AM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

OK then. All of the suppliers of the filter are trying to recoup their design, development, tooling and set-up costs. Until one of them reduces the price, all of the various pricing analysts will attempt to get a much money for their filters as the market will bear. Same thing happened with the relatively low volume filter introduced with the 2002 Thunderbird. It finally dropped down from all suppliers when one of them decided to "Get competitive" and gain market share.

So don't stock up now, the price will come down sometime in the future. Just my opinion, nothing humble about it.

Last edited by Red; 08-10-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Enthusiast

It is the same economic law that controls oil prices and many commodities

The law of supply and greed.

He who has the supply sets the price according to his greed level.. Hopefully all your competitors are as greedy and won’t force the price down...

Old 08-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Enthusiast

OK--got all the theories about the price of the filters. Take further gripes outside ......now, anybody want to answer the original question?

Old 08-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by mustangbob
Double baffling.

So, does this mean that I should only use the Motorcraft filters? Thanks.
Double baffling is I have never seen this. I've purchased several non motorcraft filters over the years, and the STOCK one did not have this. ( That was from 2004... well, i got one more from the dealer in 2005 and that's the one I remember. Back then, they were not in stock, and the Ford dealer got one from a Mazda shop. )
But the 2009 is a new engine, does this mean a new filter?

Old 08-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The best that can be said for the standard oil filters is that they get down to maybe 30µ particles and most are probably really 50 µ particles. There are clearances that are on the order of 8µ in an engine.

By far the most damaging particles are those that can touch both sides of clearance at once.

I installed a Canton Racing Products filter that is rated at 8µ along with a 1µ bypass filter on my FEH. The 8µ filter required a different engine block adaptor. So far so good.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
I installed a Canton Racing Products filter that is rated at 8µ along with a 1µ bypass filter on my FEH. The 8µ filter required a different engine block adaptor. So far so good.
Bill, is there a Canton spin-on filter that will directly replace the stock FEH filter housing? If not, does the filter have to be remotely mounted? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Oil Filters: Fram vs. Motorcraft

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands