Which one is the drain plug?

Old 07-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Which one is the drain plug?

I took some pictures. There is a black screw (on top in picture). Is this the drain plug?

I am driving a 2008 FEH 4WD.

Or,

There is another small silver color female socket on the centre of the cap of the fuel filter cylinder, as show on the picture below: (On the filter premieter it says the torque should be 30-35N.m, and surrounding the socket it said the plug tightening torque is 10 N.m +/-1 N.m). So I am guessing this one at centre of filter should be the drain plug?

OK, then what is this?

I think the filter cap diameter is about 6", its a 14 polygon and the socket diameter at centre is about 6mm, that is about 1/4", or 7/32", and a hexgon female. Am I right?

Autozone is not available in Toronto, Canada.

Hopefully I don't have to go to the dealer and have them to change my oil...

Last edited by Sphinx88; 07-06-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Which one is the drain plug?

The black, standard looking plug is indeed the oil drain plug for the oil pan.
You need to remove this black plug first. IIRC it is magnetic, so look for metal shavings on the tip when you pull it out.

Second, the little silver hex key on the filter itself is a drain hole for the filter canister.
You can remove this next, and let some/most of the oil drain out of the filter can before removing the filter housing. THIS IS OPTIONAL.

If you do remove the hex key plug, you should also replace the small O-ring.
After about 3 oil changes, my hex key became round. It is soft alluminum. So be mindful of that. Now I have just left my hex key plug in for about 45,000 miles and it has been fine. No leaks, and it's no big deal to just remove the canister lid without the little drain open first. If I ever do need to remove it to change the o-ring, I will cut a slot for a flat screwdriver and hope that works.

Oil changes on this car are not any more difficult than any other car.
-John

Old 07-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks GPSman1!!

So there is no O ring for the black drain plug? That is weird.

And if I remove the silver hex key plug, must I remove the black plug too? Without a manual it is really annoying....why ford made this duplication, I meant two drain plugs.

What year of your car you driving, any different design? THanks again.

Last edited by Sphinx88; 07-06-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1

After about 3 oil changes, my hex key became round. It is soft alluminum. So be mindful of that. -John
I am thinking then I will not remove this one to avoid similar problem.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

I bought this engine oil filter and it is about cad$10. It is a FRAM CH9641. Anyone used this filter before? The Canadian Tire Store told me this is the filter for 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid. I am going to change my oil using this.

I bought Mobil 1 full synthetic oil too, cost me cad$40. Hopefully not a big deal to use it at 2400KM.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You have the correct Oil Filter. This link: http://www.power-21.com/honeywellpow....aspx?b=F&vt=1

reveals you have the Fram CH9641 oil filter.

Most of us use 10,000 miles/16Kilometers(?) as guide for changing synthetic oil.

Last edited by Billyk; 07-06-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Again thank you billyk.

Bad news, I did not successfuly change my oil filter. I bought a wrong filter wrench...both the black oil drain plug and the silver hexgon plug could be unscrewed, but the filter cap wrench I bought, which is a FLOTOOL #2 Super Graphite, it seems fit but did not work. The oil filter housing canitser is a 14 side polygon but the filter wrench I bought is a 15 side polygon.

The local store I can take another one to try was closed then, so I decided to only changed the oil without changing the filter and O rings.....
:-(

Can I order the wrench from dealer or I can buy from internet somewhere? Thanks!

Old 07-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

You should be able to get the 14 sided filter wrench from a well equipped parts store. It is a standard filter canister also used on some Mazca engines.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sphinx88
Most drain plugs use crush washers, not reusable o-rings. You can always slap a crush washer in if you're concerned.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sphinx88
Thanks GPSman1!!

And if I remove the silver hex key plug, must I remove the black plug too? Without a manual it is really annoying....why ford made this duplication, I meant two drain plugs.

What year of your car you driving, any different design? THanks again.
I haven't done the oil in an FEH... been too lazy. However usually the drain plugs are made of very soft metal so that one can't strip the threads in the pan... instead you strip the drain plug threads and pay a few bucks for a new one rather than buying a new pan...

My suspicion as to why there is no o-ring.... without one you have a fairly solid STOP when you tighten the plug... it makes it more obvious when to stop.... with one the compression of the o-ring makes it so that you can't really tell when its tight enough... so they found people ended up stripping drain plugs left an right... especially those that buzz them in their with an air wrench. If it sealed without an o-ring and it prevents complaints of stripped plugs, its just not worth having.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which one is the drain plug?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands