One tire punctured, have to replace all?

Old 07-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question One tire punctured, have to replace all?

I have no idea what I hit when driving past a road construction site last weekend, now the passenger-side rear tire has a huge gash on the side-wall, basically irreparable.

My dealer still has the original Continental ContiTrac Ecoplus for replacement, but I was shocked to be told I would have to replace ALL FOUR tires even though only one is gone. When asked why, my dealer and a couple of stores all told me the ABS wouldn't work properly.

After doing some research, it seems the problem is especially serious for AWD vehicles like my 2006 FEH, something to do with some kind of "differential"? Please excuse my ignorance

I'm wondering if other owners have faced this surprise or issue or having to replace all tires just simply because one blew up?

Now that I may have no choice but to get new tires, I'm wondering if the Michelin Latitude Tour is a better buy since it's only about $20 more than the original Continental Ecoplus? Should I go for the Michelin Latitude Tour over the OEM Continental Ecoplus? The Michelins are supposed to be quieter and better?

Old 07-11-2013, 12:53 AM
Cheapskate
Default Re: One tire punctured, have to replace all?

Yes, unless the tires are pretty close to new, you should replace all 4 on this type of AWD vehicle. I've had to do this with my Subarus as well.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:15 AM
Imported from Detroit

I don't think that you need to replace all four but just in pairs or both rear tires.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wptski
I don't think that you need to replace all four but just in pairs or both rear tires.
If the rear wheels are spinning at enough of a different speed than the front tires, the AWD may be invoked - all the time.

For FWD it doesn't matter, so long as left and right are replaced together.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by stevedebi
If the rear wheels are spinning at enough of a different speed than the front tires, the AWD may be invoked - all the time.

For FWD it doesn't matter, so long as left and right are replaced together.
The OP can change all four if they wish and I'd guess that a tire dealer would say this. To my understanding this only applies to AWD which has a center differential which the Escape doesn't. If it did the Ford Workshop Shop Manual wouldn't have a pinpoint test for proper operation which is to command 100% rear wheel torque and if the vehicle resists turning, it's working properly.

What does the Owner's Manual state if anything about this?

It's so important that it's not even mentioned in my manual.

Last edited by wptski; 07-11-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wptski
The OP can change all four if they wish and I'd guess that a tire dealer would say this. To my understanding this only applies to AWD which has a center differential which the Escape doesn't. If it did the Ford Workshop Shop Manual wouldn't have a pinpoint test for proper operation which is to command 100% rear wheel torque and if the vehicle resists turning, it's working properly.

What does the Owner's Manual state if anything about this?

It's so important that it's not even mentioned in my manual.
I don't know about the shop manuals, but the question is how does the AWD get invoked? Is it when the front wheels spin, or when the front and rear wheels are moving at different speeds? If the former, it is no problem to have different front and rear, if the latter, it could cause problems.

I'm not sure how Ford implemented the AWD. Honda did the latter, for example, and would have problems.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by stevedebi
I don't know about the shop manuals, but the question is how does the AWD get invoked? Is it when the front wheels spin, or when the front and rear wheels are moving at different speeds? If the former, it is no problem to have different front and rear, if the latter, it could cause problems.

I'm not sure how Ford implemented the AWD. Honda did the latter, for example, and would have problems.
If you Google this topic you'll see that they mention about differential stress due to tire diameter differences. If there was any caution it would be in the owner's manual.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Page 173 of the 2005 FEH owners manual briefly mentions dissimilar tires could lead to impairment of the all wheel drive system.

The usage of a dissimilar spare tire/wheel can lead to impairment of the

following:

Handling, stability and braking performance

Comfort and noise

Ground clearance and parking at curbs

Winter weather driving capability

Wet weather driving capability

All-Wheel driving capability (if applicable)

There is nothing about needing all 4 tires with the same wear. I would guess tires on the same axle need to be about the same.