p1450 code

Old 10-19-2014, 03:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default p1450 code

Hi, my wife's 2008 FEH is throwing code p1450 (only). The vehicle is running just fine too, no idle issues. I've tried cleaning the mating surfaces of the gas cap and checked for any kinked tubes around the canister/fuel filter area and don't see anything. Does anyone have a graphic of what I'm looking at down here? It doesn't make a lot of sense, there are just hoses running everywhere. Does anyone know how to identify the purge outlet tube?

Here are the possible causes for p1450:

EVAP canister purge outlet tube (EVAP canister purge valve to EVAP canister) blockages or kinks.
EVAP canister tube (fuel tank to EVAP canister) blockages or kinks.
Fuel vapor elbow on EVAP canister contaminated.
Restricted EVAP canister.
Canister vent (CV) solenoid stuck closed (partially or fully).
Plugged or contaminated CV solenoid filter.
EVAP canister purge valve stuck open.
Fuel filler cap stuck closed (no vacuum relief).
VREF circuit open in fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor.
Damaged FTP sensor.

Thanks!

Old 10-19-2014, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: p1450 code

90% of the time it will be your EVAP canister purge valve. Easy enough to diagnose, check your manual for the right procedure.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:37 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
90% of the time it will be your EVAP canister purge valve. Easy enough to diagnose, check your manual for the right procedure.
Okay, I'll start there. By manual, you mean as in a Haynes manual for instance? I don't have one, I guess I should pick one up.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Try looking at alldata or mitchells on the web as most techs use one or the other. I use AllData and they also have a DIY version where you can get the manual for just one car. They are the factory manuals that are online and will help you a lot if you are handy with cars and want to learn.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:18 PM
Enthusiast

I have access to the "Auto Repair Reference Center" through the library (that I found after posting) that seems to have a lot of diagrams and removal/installation instructions...but no other testing/diagnostic information beyond a smoke/leak test. Would alldata have more detail?

Old 10-20-2014, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

yes... It will give you component level tests that you will need a multi-meter to read the actual results from the sensors and relays. Most of us use a lab scope in addition to a good bi-directional scanner as well as a smoke machine for evap testing to check for leaks.

Edit: You have three choices anymore when it comes to emissions related problems, pay someone a good bit to diagnose and fix the problem, buy a bunch of expensive components and use the "shotgun" approach to replace everything until the problem goes away or buy a bunch of expensive equipment to figure out exactly what to fix.

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 10-20-2014 at 10:23 PM.