Parking for 8 weeks, do I need to do anything special?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:13 PM
Enthusiast
Default Parking for 8 weeks, do I need to do anything special?

I'm leaving the country for a couple months this summer, and the FEH will be parked in the garage the entire time.

Do I need to do anything special before I leave? Should I have my petsitter run it once a week for 5 minutes? Thank you!

Old 07-15-2009, 03:07 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Lightbulb Re: Parking for 8 weeks, do I need to do anything special?

I have one of the older FEH ( built 12/2004 ) and I park it for 3 weeks all the time and nothing bad happens. You will be longer, but it shouldn't be a problem. If you started it ONCE at the half-way part of your trip, that would be good.

DO run it in Park in the parking stall for 5-10 minutes ( or until it shuts off itself ) to make sure the HV pack is "topped off".

Topped off = 53% charge. The car considers 53% to be "nominal". My car self-discharges about 4% a week, and you need about 20% charge at least to start the car when you get back. If yours also loses 4% a week, you'll barely be above 20% after 8 weeks.

DO remove / unplug any/all accessories ( cell phone chargers, iPods, Scangauge etc. ).

That's about it.
HTH,
-John

Old 07-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Parking for 8 weeks, do I need to do anything special?

Originally Posted by teperilloux
I'm leaving the country for a couple months this summer, and the FEH will be parked in the garage the entire time.

Do I need to do anything special before I leave? Should I have my petsitter run it once a week for 5 minutes? Thank you!
Also remember... If at the end you can't start. You can probably still use the jump start using the 12V battery procedure that is described in the manual. Involves pressing a button and waiting a few minutes for the 12V battery to recharge the HV battery a bit through a converter.

The HV pack self discharges pretty fast... I'm pretty sure the Lead-Acid 12V is a bit more stable.

I think in the manual they tell you its best to have someone start it once a month.