Recharge my ac

Old 08-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Enthusiast
Default Recharge my ac

So my AC isn't blowing cold anymore, everywhere around me wants from $120 to $170 to recharge it... I bought a $40 refill kit from Walmart, EZ-Chill. But I'm scared to use it... It has a gauge in the kit and it seems pretty easy... Is it worth having it done? Anyone else us the EZ-chill kit?

The car is 2008 FEH 57k

Old 08-02-2012, 08:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Recharge my ac

R134A didn't evaporate out of your system, it leaked out. Unless you repair the leak, you are simply throwing money away. It could be something as cheap and easy as a bad Schrader valve or as expensive as a leaking compressor (my issue this week).

Old 08-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Enthusiast

Is there any merit behind the claims that the store bought r134a has stop leak additives?

Old 08-02-2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Chriszep
Is there any merit behind the claims that the store bought r134a has stop leak additives?
I agree with gator and you're wasting your money repairing it yourself. The stop leak is a joke. I'd take your FEH to a Ford dealer to locate the leak and get an estimate on the repair. You can then get other estimates from other shops to compare. Anyone offering to just charge your A/C will rip you off knowing you'll be back for the real repair later. Take the kit back for a refund and stop wasting your money. I've made the same mistake so the sooner you get the real repair needed, the cooler you'll be getting better MPG.

GaryG

Old 08-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Enthusiast

I just hate going to ford, the service staff is so rude and they charge a $90 "diagnostic" fee for walking in the door...

Old 08-02-2012, 10:44 AM

I just hate going to ford, the service staff is so rude and they charge a $90 "diagnostic" fee for walking in the door...
I think we all feel the same way, but the leak could be in the battery aux A/C system and you don't want untrained techs working on that system. My dealer gets $100 for a diagnostic fee BTW. Not bad if you can't do it yourself.

GaryG

Old 08-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Does your A/C have a "sight gage", and if so have you used it to verify a low refrigernant charge. Just as a side note most newer systems will not allow the compressor clutch to operate if the refrogernat charge drops to low.

Does your compressor clutch enage?

Old 08-05-2012, 06:36 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

So my AC isn't blowing cold anymore, everywhere around me wants from $120 to $170 to recharge it... I bought a $40 refill kit from Walmart, EZ-Chill. But I'm scared to use it... It has a gauge in the kit and it seems pretty easy... Is it worth having it done? Anyone else us the EZ-chill kit?

The car is 2008 FEH 57k
As long as you realize that the 'fix' may not last.

Keep in mind that the prices quoted will often result in a diagnosis of 'failed components' that end up costing 10X+ to remedy - and often at usurious mark-up.

Now, if your A/C has not been opened or previously recharged, it may be worthwhile to 'top it up' with a DIY kit - seals and connections can 'weep' slow enough to get you through a couple of more years. If it goes back to needing a top-up in a quick order, replacing the leaking components is the only way to get to a lasting fix. Some of the charge kits include a dye that makes the tasking of determining the source of the leak easier. Also, outfits like ToolTopia have leak detector gizmos that can help you find the problem at a reasonable price. If you discover failed components, realize that the system will need to be evacuated and the refrigerant recycled - but even if you outsource the fix, you'll know that you heed a $50 hose rather than $800 evaporator, for example.

In any case, make sure you have educated yourself enough about your A/C system and its functions - if you mess up, you can put yourself in a hurting place. Make sure you exercise judgement to know when to get 'professional help' and when the task is beyond your skills and cost-effective tools. Don't vent the gas to the atmosphere - the stuff is not good for the environment. The refrigerant is under high pressure, and if you introduce contaminants in the system, you can create problems.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Chris,

Here's a couple of things to keep in mind. First, did the A/C system stop cooling gradually over several weeks or months, or did it just stop working virtually over night? If it stopped over a long period of time, then a DIY kit can get you through the hot season until you can afford a professional look. If it stopped almost immediately, I wouldn't recommend the kit; you could have a bad controller, head unit (in the dash) a bad sensor or other non-freon related components that are bad. Introducing more freon (R-134a) into the system could do more harm than good in that case.

Second, read the warranty in your owners manual dealing with the 8 year, 100K mile hybrid warranty. Does it list A/C components? If so, this should be a system your dealer could repair at no cost under that warranty.

Finally, as for rude service people, just find another dealer. Unless you live in Tumbleweed, Nowhere and there isn't another dealer for 200 miles (not likely with Ford dealers) just find a dealer with a better attitude. AND, please go online and type in key words like "New car dealer reviews" and write up your offending Ford dealer. They really read reviews on places like Edmunds.com, dealerrater.com, yahoo forums for auto dealers and more. And, don't forget slamming the dealer on Angie's list.

VR,
Joe

Old 08-06-2012, 09:07 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm taking my car on an 8,000 road trip, the AC died over many months. I caved and used a recharge kit. I'm strapped for cash so I figured I would try a kit, and see if it lasted me into the winter. Worst case scenario, I will bring it to a ford dealer while on my trip. For now the a/c is blowing beautifully cold

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recharge my ac

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands