Replacing Front Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Replacing Front Brake Pads

Originally Posted by Stranger
I have enjoyed my 2006 FEH and have 60k miles. I've followed all recommended maintenance etc. Two weeks ago the brake warning light started coming on occasionally. I checked the emergency brake..no problem, the car would brake as it normally would, I checked the brake fluid levels..no problem..but the light and alarm would still come on especially when hitting a bump or turning. I thought maybe a sensor and electric problem with the dash. Took it to the dealer who said they couldn't get the light to come on when they drove it..I explained I wasn't imagining it. They took down more info..I became wary of if they knew what they were doing. I was in shock ( to say it mildly) when they said they hooked it up to a diagnostic machine and what I needed was a new master cylinder ($1800.) If the brake light still continued "Ford" recommended a new ABS system ($4500.) Even after they would do this work they couldn't "guarantee" the problem would be solved. I asked why there wouldn't be some other physical evidence that the brakes were bad, ie fluid leak, squeaking, spongy breaks..and was told they didn't know but they had to advise me that this was the "repair" that Ford recommended. I haven't done anything as I want to get a 2nd opinion. After reading what alot of you have said I'm really stumped! Any advice? I too am afraid to drive it!

I've made copy of this from Ford Escape Hybrid Maintenance & Repair forum, hope nobody have had same problem here.
I wonder if the service department at this dealership is telling the truth and just ripping you off. If you have a paper document of this "estimate", I would contact Ford Motor Company customer service on this excessive estimate.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by Stranger
I have enjoyed my 2006 FEH and have 60k miles. I've followed all recommended maintenance etc. Two weeks ago the brake warning light started coming on occasionally. I checked the emergency brake..no problem, the car would brake as it normally would, I checked the brake fluid levels..no problem..but the light and alarm would still come on especially when hitting a bump or turning. I thought maybe a sensor and electric problem with the dash. Took it to the dealer who said they couldn't get the light to come on when they drove it..I explained I wasn't imagining it. They took down more info..I became wary of if they knew what they were doing. I was in shock ( to say it mildly) when they said they hooked it up to a diagnostic machine and what I needed was a new master cylinder ($1800.) If the brake light still continued "Ford" recommended a new ABS system ($4500.) Even after they would do this work they couldn't "guarantee" the problem would be solved. I asked why there wouldn't be some other physical evidence that the brakes were bad, ie fluid leak, squeaking, spongy breaks..and was told they didn't know but they had to advise me that this was the "repair" that Ford recommended. I haven't done anything as I want to get a 2nd opinion. After reading what a lot of you have said I'm really stumped! Any advice? I too am afraid to drive it!

I've made copy of this from Ford Escape Hybrid Maintenance & Repair forum, hope nobody have had same problem here.
I'd look for another dealer with a better mechanic before I'd just lay down $6000+ on what is probably a hunch. It could be something very simple like a poor connection or ground.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:00 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks to Peelman for 24(50A) and 31(50A) located in battery junction box; I tried and tried to get Pad service mode to work, but to no avail. (2006 MMH). Rear pads; drivers side, even wear, about half way done. passenger side outer pad done, just starting to touch metal in one corner, the other pad close to full. If these had worn evenly, I would not have done the pads at 94K miles.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:13 PM
Enthusiast

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid (front disc, rear drum, 2WD)
I tried every combination of key position, number ON/OFF cycles, brake pressing and unpressing and still could not get it into 'pad service mode' or 'safe brake service mode'. I also did not pull any fuses or disconnect any battery terminals, but I got the pads replaced. The fuse terminals I've read to pull correspond to the horn relay and transmission module? How that stops the brakes from testing I have no clue.
I simply changed them like every other car I've ever done. I just had the car in park and the key off and out.
I took my time and had the calipers removed for at least an hour each.
The braking system never tested itself nor actuated. The piston stayed put.
Maybe this is a difference with the 2009 and up models. I have no idea why any automotive engineer would want to 'test' the brake system at 5-10 min intervals while the car is off and in park...

Old 07-05-2015, 02:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Pull the fuses... it's easy. If the system cycles while the caliper is off the disc you're going to push the pads & pistons out and brake fluid everywhere...

Pulling the fuses removes power from the circuits that would power the system cycling. Thus it won't cycle. BTW if your hand were in the wrong place when the cycling happened you could be injured... pull the fuses.