Satellite antenna install write-up

Old 07-18-2006, 12:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Satellite antenna install write-up

I did this write-up on escape-central.com and thought I would post it here as well in case anyone was interested in installing a SAT antenna. I chose to mount mine on the back of the roof and run the wiring through the rear hatch. The antenna cable was plenty long to make it all the way to the dash. I actuallytucked the cable under and through the black rubber gasket around the hatch. The gasket is held in place by some very gooey black stuff. It is not like a permanent adhesive, rather just a real gooey mess. You will get it on your hands and the wire so make sure to clean it off before touching your interior.

(My Host is having some service problems at the moment so if the pics aren't showing up just check back later).

1. Antenna mounted on the back of the roof centered on the vehicle. You can see where it is mounted so that the plastic wire cover wraps right over the edge of the roof into the hatch area.

2. You can see here where the wire runs down into the hatch area and is taped along the curve to prevent the hatch from rubbing when opened/closed.

3. Another shot of the wire taped down tucked in underneath the gasket. The gasket basically is "U" shaped and slides onto the flat sheetmetal. I tucked the wire under one 'leg' of the "U" and ran it down to the lower left corner.

4. Here is the gasket pulled away from the sheetmetal in the lower left corner. you can see where the wire wraps around the sheetmetal and comes inside of the gasket.

6. The wire now runs under the sill trim which pops up in the corner with slight tugging (you don't need to remove the whole piece.)

7. Then I routed the wire under the corner of the cargo area and beneath the plastic paneling on the side. Mine is a little different b/c it is a Hybrid and the battery is beneath the carpet but you should be able to tuck the wiring beneath the side panels without a problem. The wires then continue alongside the back seat and under the trim of the doorsills up to the bottom left of the dash. From here your options are nearly endless as the dash is very open underneath.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Satellite antenna install write-up

Good article, thanks for posting it. However, to avoid problems (like car wash brushes ripping the antenna off the roof of the vehicle), I simply velcro my Visteon Sirius satellite antenna on top of the dash above the radio. Works just fine for glitch-free Sirius reception.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:39 AM

I had been doing that, but I actually ran into reception issues quite often. Since roof-mounting, I haven't had any problems. As for carwashes....well, I tend to avoid them at all costs anyway!

Old 07-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Enthusiast

Boy, this is amazing.... I did the same install exactly the same way about a month ago on my MMH.... I too never had any luck with the antenna being anywhere inside the vehicle and now have had flawless XM reception since.

I really wish the manufacturers would give you a grommet or plug here and there in order to help run some of these wires through the body when required.

All in all however, this method produced a pretty clean install

Old 07-20-2006, 11:07 AM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Post Re: Satellite antenna install write-up

Originally Posted by Green Monster
Boy, this is amazing.... I did the same install exactly the same way about a month ago on my MMH.... I too never had any luck with the antenna being anywhere inside the vehicle and now have had flawless XM reception since.

I really wish the manufacturers would give you a grommet or plug here and there in order to help run some of these wires through the body when required.

All in all however, this method produced a pretty clean install
Likewise, I have a sirius antenna inside(velcro to the dash) and have some reception issues more than half the time. I will definentely be using your guide to mount the antenna to the rear roof this weekend!

Nate

Old 07-20-2006, 01:41 PM

Mine is installed the same way.

The magnet on the antenna is very strong. I had a hard time picking it back up off the roof when I was first mounting it! Also, I've been through several car washes with it and it hasn't moved at all.

I, too, have had the antenna mounted on the dash. I've never ever had a problem with reception.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Enthusiast

I just picked up my '05--Great write up on routing the antenna- that looks to be the best option for me too.

Does anyone have pictures of where you mounted the XM unit? I have the SkyFi2 and I'm having a heluva time trying to figure out where I should put it.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:17 PM

I have both XM & Sirius in my FEH. I have a Sitius antenna mounted on the roof & the Garmin "hockey puck" XM radio/weather/traffic antenna mounted way forward in one corner of my dash.

The XM antenna actually receives better than the Sirius (although it's certainly not a huge difference)

~John

Old 10-17-2007, 10:20 PM

right now I am on a business trip in Jacksonville FL & I am driving a borrowed Ford Expedition....

WOW, do I miss my FEH. This beast is getting something like 10 mpg & has no satellite radio & the local radio stations down here really suck........

~John

Old 10-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Which is the best Satellite radio head unit for primarily car use?

I would like one that is portable so I can take it in the house with me too, or use it in a "boom box" type device at work.

Also.... Go XM? Or Sirius? I know there is some sort of merge in the works, and both manufacturers say any radio will work after the merge. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Satellite antenna install write-up

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands