scan gauge for towing and what temps you can read.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 05:19 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default scan gauge for towing and what temps you can read.

What scan gauge are you using and what temps. can you read with it.
Thanks .

Mark F.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:05 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: scan gauge for towing and what temps you can read.

Originally Posted by Tigermidge
What scan gauge are you using and what temps. can you read with it.
Thanks .

Mark F.
I have a SGII and have CHT (cylinder head temp) set up to monitor engine temp. It usually runs around 230F for me at highway speeds (not towing a trailer). The other temp I monitor is MECS temp and it generally runs about 10F above ambient temp.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:42 AM
Enthusiast

I use a Bluetooth old adapter and the torque pro app on my android phone to read ecu data. Just started recently so haven't used it for towing yet but I'm usually maxing out the ecvt temp gauge at 100-120f towing without a trailer. I've got at least 4k miles of towing to do in early October (Juneau AK to buffalo NY). I'll share some hard towing ecvt and cht temps after that.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:53 PM
Enthusiast

Just thought I'd post the results of my roadtrip the past two weeks. We put about 5,000 miles on our 2009 FEH loaded to the max inside, a full ski box on the roof, and towing a #1500+ camper. We drove from Haines, AK to Buffalo, NY. We were definitely overloaded and weighing heavily on the suspension which totally finishing off a set of fairly worn out tires but other than that the FEH held up great.

I didn't monitor temps the whole way but I plugged the adapter in and monitored under a bunch of different driving conditions. I found that with our load the transmission read out tended to run in the range of 162-168f during normal highway driving and peaked around 180 on a particularly long steep climb. CHT sat around 180f at all times other than a big hill climb which got it up around 210f.

SOC was a bit interesting to monitor showing that the battery would only provide assist down to 43% and with the shift lever in L it would only provide regen braking until 63%. Past that point using the brake pedal you could coax it to regen up to 68-70% but I could never get it past that. I was a bit disappointed to only be using around 25% of the packs capacity and to watch it bleed off the excess charge so fast as soon as the road flattened out but I guess under normal driving conditions that amount of battery capacity probably works out fine. I'm pushing the system outside of it's design intent for sure at this point.