Service Power Steering module gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Service Power Steering module gone bad

Thanks for the post,

Just curious, did it go over time or all at once... do you remember the approx mileage? Dealer price to replace.

Ours is 2008 Escape 2WD. I'm just wondering if it something that I need to be ready to deal with before winter really gets here.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tothemax
Thanks for the post,

I'm just wondering if it something that I need to be ready to deal with before winter really gets here.

No. You will do nothing unless the unit fails as it is electronic.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have a 2005 FEH and recently just rolled over 200K mi. My FEH has been an incredibly so reliable vehicle. I purchased it with 102K on it and over the past 98K mi. the only thing I have done to it is regular maintenance, a blend door actuator (95K ago) and replaced a worn out A/C pump.

My daughter's car is dying so I decided to look for a used FEH for her. Found one in excellent shape for $2000 with a bad power steering module. I ordered a new module for it and I'm waiting for it to arrive.

I pulled the old module out of the car, which turned out to be a very easy 30 minute job. The previous owner had it diagnosed by a shop and by the Ford dealer. Both confirmed that was the module. The only paperwork I have is by a Firestone shop that states "will need reprogramming... " after installing the new module. I believe there is also a thread on here about that.

PS - I will document the process to do the replacement and post it to the forum with results once I have completed the repair.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Update:

Received the part from a Ford Parts vendor on Ebay, finally after they sat on it for 4 stinking days before they shipped it. Stay clear of Tasca. I paid $478 with free shipping but it would have been better to just pay shipping and get it sooner.

I had planned on documenting the installation... But it literally only took 15 minutes. The hardest part of the job is getting the fuse box out of the way so you can get to the firewall. The previous owner of the vehicle sold the car because the dealer had quoted her $1000 for the part and $1000 labor.... For a 30 minute fix. This repair is so easy that anyone with basic mechanical skills could do it.

The module replacement worked and the Escape is back on the road. Apparently there is no need to reprogram the computer or recalibrate or whatever.

I hope this helps anyone else who may have the same (somewhat common) failure on higher mileage FEH's. This particular Escape has 191,450 miles on it. My own (twin) escape has 201,200 miles and so far, so good.

The part is also available here: http://www.oemfordpart.com/oe-ford/6m6z3f881a

Old 01-22-2016, 07:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by corski67
Update:

Received the part from a Ford Parts vendor on Ebay, finally after they sat on it for 4 stinking days before they shipped it. Stay clear of Tasca. I paid $478 with free shipping but it would have been better to just pay shipping and get it sooner.

I had planned on documenting the installation... But it literally only took 15 minutes. The hardest part of the job is getting the fuse box out of the way so you can get to the firewall. The previous owner of the vehicle sold the car because the dealer had quoted her $1000 for the part and $1000 labor.... For a 30 minute fix. This repair is so easy that anyone with basic mechanical skills could do it.

The module replacement worked and the Escape is back on the road. Apparently there is no need to reprogram the computer or recalibrate or whatever.

I hope this helps anyone else who may have the same (somewhat common) failure on higher mileage FEH's. This particular Escape has 191,450 miles on it. My own (twin) escape has 201,200 miles and so far, so good.

The part is also available here: http://www.oemfordpart.com/oe-ford/6m6z3f881a
Thanks for the informative posts. It must feel really good to sort this out and save so much cash.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:55 PM
Enthusiast

I have a 2007 FEH. PSCM (Power Steering Control Module) went out; power steering failed. I ordered a used PSCM from a wrecking yard for $150. Installed it myself. Works perfect now! No need to calibrate or anything.

Part Info if you want to get it new:
Part Number (on my original part): 6M64-3F881-AB
Ford Part Number: 6M6Z-3F881-A (MODULE & BRKT ASY)
Link: http://www.varsityfordparts.com/oe-ford/6m6z3f881a

I had trouble installing it a first and then figured it out; here are the steps below:

Step 1 - removed air filter box (1x - 10mm BOLT) - optional step, but very quick and simple and makes accessing everything SO MUCH easier.

Step 2 - removed fuse box (under the hood; drivers side); 2x - 10mm NUTS that hold a bracket which is attached to the drivers side strut tower. Disconnect 2 connectors and remove plastic push-in rivets (5 total rivets) to get the fuse box completely out of the way.

Step 3 - access the PSCM on the fire wall (silver colored - square box) - disconnect the 2 connectors at the bottom of the PSCM. Press on clips to unlock them before removing them. Remove 1x 10mm NUT from the top right area of the PSCM.

Step 4 - inside the car, behind the brake pedal, locate 2x 10mm NUTS - you will see a white plastic cone shaped piece protruding from the firewall; on both sides of it you will see the 2 - 10mm NUTS, remove those two nuts.

Step 5 - remove the PSCM from under the hood, it will slide right out

Step 6 - remove the ground wire connected to the PSCM bracket. It's 1x 12mm BOLT that needs to be removed.

Step 7 - remove both 12mm BOLTS to remove the PSCM from the bracket and install the replacement PSCM. Put everything back together.

Hope this helps people fix this very simple and inexpensive fix. Save me $1000 if I would have had the local ford dealership install it.

Last edited by VikFomenko; 01-13-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:56 PM
Enthusiast

It looks like I might be replacing the PSCM for a 2007 FEH. Thank you, VikFomenko, for providing instructions for all!

A question to you or anyone still in the thread with regards to the instructions. Do you need to disconnect the battery before replacing the module? Also, do you need to pull any fuses or do anything with the "hybrid" battery before replacing the module? Thanks.

Did you all check any other parts for the power steering issue? I've checked the fuses. I'm trying to figure out if there are other things to check.

I've read that there is a Torque Sensor but I only see references on it for 2008 and earlier models.

Does the 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid have a power steering "pressure switch" and a "pressure sensor"?

Thank you for any help and advice. I'm trying to check off any boxes I can before having to shell out for a $530 part.

Originally Posted by VikFomenko
I have a 2007 FEH. PSCM (Power Steering Control Module) went out; power steering failed. I ordered a used PSCM from a wrecking yard for $150. Installed it myself. Works perfect now! No need to calibrate or anything.

Part Info if you want to get it new:
Part Number (on my original part): 6M64-3F881-AB
Ford Part Number: 6M6Z-3F881-A (MODULE & BRKT ASY)
Link: http://www.varsityfordparts.com/oe-ford/6m6z3f881a

I had trouble installing it a first and then figured it out; here are the steps below:

Step 1 - removed air filter box (1x - 10mm BOLT) - optional step, but very quick and simple and makes accessing everything SO MUCH easier.

Step 2 - removed fuse box (under the hood; drivers side); 2x - 10mm NUTS that hold a bracket which is attached to the drivers side strut tower. Disconnect 2 connectors and remove plastic push-in rivets (5 total rivets) to get the fuse box completely out of the way.

Step 3 - access the PSCM on the fire wall (silver colored - square box) - disconnect the 2 connectors at the bottom of the PSCM. Press on clips to unlock them before removing them. Remove 1x 10mm NUT from the top right area of the PSCM.

Step 4 - inside the car, behind the brake pedal, locate 2x 10mm NUTS - you will see a white plastic cone shaped piece protruding from the firewall; on both sides of it you will see the 2 - 10mm NUTS, remove those two nuts.

Step 5 - remove the PSCM from under the hood, it will slide right out

Step 6 - remove the ground wire connected to the PSCM bracket. It's 1x 12mm BOLT that needs to be removed.

Step 7 - remove both 12mm BOLTS to remove the PSCM from the bracket and install the replacement PSCM. Put everything back together.

Hope this helps people fix this very simple and inexpensive fix. Save me $1000 if I would have had the local ford dealership install it.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:55 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2007FEH
It looks like I might be replacing the PSCM for a 2007 FEH. Thank you, VikFomenko, for providing instructions for all!

A question to you or anyone still in the thread with regards to the instructions. Do you need to disconnect the battery before replacing the module? Also, do you need to pull any fuses or do anything with the "hybrid" battery before replacing the module? Thanks.

Did you all check any other parts for the power steering issue? I've checked the fuses. I'm trying to figure out if there are other things to check.

I've read that there is a Torque Sensor but I only see references on it for 2008 and earlier models.

Does the 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid have a power steering "pressure switch" and a "pressure sensor"?

Thank you for any help and advice. I'm trying to check off any boxes I can before having to shell out for a $530 part.
Hey 2007FEH, to answer your questions:
1. I don't remember disconnecting the battery first, but it wouldn't hurt if you are concerned
2. I didn't pull any fuses, I simple removed the old one and installed the new one.
3. Yes I did check all the fuses just like you did and I didn't find any issues. I researched it for several days until I finally found the solution and it was to simply replace the Power Steering Module. It was an easy fix and I didn't do anything else except simply replace that part.

I ended up using a used part since I didn't want to pay the $500+ for a new one. I called all the local wrecking yards near me that had the part (using http://www.car-part.com/). I called them and had them confirm it was the correct by sending them a picture of the unit. I was able to find a guy in state that sold and shipped it to me for $150.

Good luck to you.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:06 AM
Enthusiast

Sincere thanks VikFomenko! I followed your install steps and was relieved to have a successful attempt. Thank you!

Last edited by coblodo; 02-27-2020 at 10:09 AM.