"Service Soon" and the "wrench"

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: "Service Soon" and the "wrench"

In the past 6 months I've also gotten the wrench symbol and service soon message three times. But as soon as I restart the Escape, the message and light go away. Does anyone have an idea how long any error code for this will be stored? Or do I have to take it in to have the code read only when the light is still lit? Around here they charge $179 to diagnose a warning light so I only want to do it once. Like other readers, there seems to be no correlation to mileage, ambient temperature, operating conditions or how recently I got gas. My battery filter is clean and less than 6 months old. I haven't noticed any change in fuel economy or the way the truck operates. Is there some problem other than the blend door that could cause this? One other question: if it is the blend door and I don't fix it, what are the consequences?

Last edited by Cameracarl; 01-13-2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: added thought
Old 01-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

A few comments: 1) $179 for getting the codes is a rip-off. Look elsewhere. There are many shops that can get the code for you .... for a LOT less. 2) Be aware that there are 2 ports into which they can plug in their scan tool (to get the codes) under your dash. Some techs don't realize this and they test the usual Escape one but don't check the hybrid port. If so, they're likely to tell you that there are no codes when it may be readily available in the other port. I had a Ford dealer do this (with trained Hybrid Techs) and made up a problem on the spot that was spurious. They claimed it was in the throttle control, and it wasn't. Not even close. (Mine is a 2006 FEH)
Lastly, read thru the stuff on blend door failures (various places on this site). It's clearly the most common failure and typically has the "come and go" dash notifications. The part cost me $26 from a Mercury dealer (the Ford dealer was out of stock) and I installed it in a couple of hours (next time, if there is one, will go much, much faster now I know how it all works). The only "special" tool, beyond the usual toolbox needs, is a 5.5mm open end/box wrench (a 7/32" will works equally well -- they're the same size).
Good luck and ask more questions if you need. We're all in this together.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:07 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks. I read the TSB for this repair. It does not seem like a very difficult repair, but I see that the TSB says to reprogram the Traction Battery Control Module. Is this a critical step? I only have average (steel, dumb) tools, not any that can read codes or reprogram modules.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, I read that too (and others have reported on it elsewhere on this site). The sense is that there's no need for any reprogramming. I, and others, have effected the installation of the new little motor and had no problems.
Also, it occurs to me I should note, I have been referring to the blend door inside below the driver side rear window (the window with the slot in it). There's another one under the dash for the heater/air conditioner, which, I'm told, is much harder to access, but I haven't needed to.
Make sure you find the set of pictures, referred to elsewhere on this site, that shows the process. They take away a lot uncertainly.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:30 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by Cameracarl
Thanks. I read the TSB for this repair. It does not seem like a very difficult repair, but I see that the TSB says to reprogram the Traction Battery Control Module. Is this a critical step? I only have average (steel, dumb) tools, not any that can read codes or reprogram modules.
If any reprograming is needed, you'll need a dealer to do although a third party shop could that, they'd need the IDS and pay a hefty fee for the ability.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by Cameracarl
I didn't reprogram mine. Just replaced it with a Motorcraft part from Rock Auto.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:34 AM
Enthusiast

I know this is an old thread, but I am going crazy. My wrench light and service soon lights will not go off. Changed the blend door actuator and I can see that it is functioning by watching the door open and close. I can feel cool A/C pumping through to cool the batteries as well. I can hear the fans blowing and I can feel the strong flow from the fans when I had the back opened up to change the actuator. Why is the light still on? What do I change next?

Old 06-30-2015, 08:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jaclins
I know this is an old thread, but I am going crazy. My wrench light and service soon lights will not go off. Changed the blend door actuator and I can see that it is functioning by watching the door open and close. I can feel cool A/C pumping through to cool the batteries as well. I can hear the fans blowing and I can feel the strong flow from the fans when I had the back opened up to change the actuator. Why is the light still on? What do I change next?
There are other things that can cause the light. It might be the MCES pump, although that usually shuts down the car momentarily. Do you have a scan guage? You need to see if there are any trouble codes being reported.

I believe that light can also indicate some issue with the braking, but really it could be anything. The emissions control system will post that sort of thing as well.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:21 AM
Enthusiast

My friend put his gauge on the port under the dash, but didnt show anything. I really dont want to go to Ford. Can't afford to be raped by the dealership. I have heard how much people have paid to get that blend door actuator replaced, and I did it myself in 45 minutes. Hate the dealer. The car does drive fine though. Hate seeing that wrench and service soon lights.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jaclins
My friend put his gauge on the port under the dash, but didnt show anything. I really dont want to go to Ford. Can't afford to be raped by the dealership. I have heard how much people have paid to get that blend door actuator replaced, and I did it myself in 45 minutes. Hate the dealer. The car does drive fine though. Hate seeing that wrench and service soon lights.
The problem you have is most consumer grade code readers can't read Ford's proprietary codes.

Quick Reply: "Service Soon" and the "wrench"

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands